Join Early Retirement Today

Economic Stimulus Payment Notice
Old 03-15-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Economic Stimulus Payment Notice

Anyone else received the "Dear Taxpayer" letter from the IRS (when I saw the envelope all I could thing "was da** what did I screw up on my taxes")? Then it dawned on me that in must be a part of the $43MM notice sub-plan to the overall program. The envelope was specifically addressed to me and DW by name but the inside of the letter has enough "may" and "could" stuff that I cannot figure out why in the world they are sending them. It also went on to say that "All individuals receiving payments will receive a notice and additional information shortly". Gee another letter coming from the IRS before the money. I would like to tell them to "JUST SEND THE CHECK FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!" but we have to go though this stuff before May when they did mention that the check would be coming IF WE WERE ELIGIBLE.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2008, 02:24 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I received my waste of paper today too. The first sentence of the letter says "… President George W. Bush signed into law the Economic Stimulus Act…". It’s simply a public relations piece for our Fearless Leader.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Yup, we got ours a few days ago. I'm still not sure if we're eleigible for anything. They're probably sending out the notices so people can start planning their spending sprees in advance.
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino View Post
Yup, we got ours a few days ago. I'm still not sure if we're eleigible for anything. They're probably sending out the notices so people can start planning their spending sprees in advance.
You're probably right about the spending spree. "Woo hoo! New couch time, 90 days same as cash. We'll have the check in May! Many of our fellow taxpayers will spend it before they see it. We got our notice a few days ago and the IRS logo immediately made my mind scream AUDIT!!!
We have nothing to hide, but I've heard an audit is a major league butt ache
Old 03-16-2008, 01:57 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
I received my waste of paper today too. The first sentence of the letter says "… President George W. Bush signed into law the Economic Stimulus Act…". It’s simply a public relations piece for our Fearless Leader.
Actually, I don't think it is necessarily PR for him. I think it is because of the delay getting the checks out, they are realizing it will take months to see the effects on the health of the economy. They are advancing the cause by reminding people they will have money coming in, so might as well go ahead and spend it now, right?
igsoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:06 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Haven't received it yet.

But I can translate it for you.

We are going to give taxpayers some of their tax money back temporarily. Please spend it. Oh, and we are also going to give some of your tax money to others who did not pay taxes so they can spend it right away.

We felt that this was a neccessary move to fix the election economy.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:31 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

im getting 6 bucks back, what a crock this plan is. the people who could afford to spend it on some extra stuff they wouldnt have bought dont get it. those least likely to do anything but pay a bill or save it get it. some stimulus package. saving it or paying a bill does absolutely nothing for us. it merely transfers it from the feds checking account to someone elses. they may have well not even bothered for all the effect this has. over 80% of the people will buy nothing extra to help the economy
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:30 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
im getting 6 bucks back, what a crock this plan is. the people who could afford to spend it on some extra stuff they wouldnt have bought dont get it. those least likely to do anything but pay a bill or save it get it. some stimulus package. saving it or paying a bill does absolutely nothing for us. it merely transfers it from the feds checking account to someone elses. they may have well not even bothered for all the effect this has. over 80% of the people will buy nothing extra to help the economy

You are in the: "We are also going to give some of your tax money to others who did not pay taxes so they can spend it right away" group.

You have plenty of company.

Your problem is that you are too responsible for your own actions.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:06 AM   #9

Three letters received. One for us (we won't see a dime since we're well over the AGI limit for 07) and one each for our two DD's (who also get nada as dependents).

Gotta give the gubment credit; always consistent in their spending efficiency.
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:09 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Yeah... sending a notice that you are only on the paying side of the equation add insult to injury since you pay for that also.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:22 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

as usual it looks good politically but it is all smoke and mirrors. what do you expect, its brought to you by the same people who give us the cpi numbers.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:24 AM   #12

If the IRS paid for the mailing, they sure missed the boat. They could have had an advertising company do the mailing with those little envelope stuffers like you get with the gas bill, all for free.

Let's see, flyers for big screen TV's, cell phones, cars, boats, trucks..........
UncleHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 06:48 AM   #13

Crank up the credit cards everyone!

But we'll probably do something foolish, like save it.

DW: "When it comes to interest payments, it is better to receive than to give."
Old 03-16-2008, 06:50 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

lately it seems its better to owe..... the gov't wants to share your debt with you.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:22 AM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yup, the IRS could have created a simple online worksheet to figure out the credit and the "rebate" could have been put on the 2007 Form 1040 line 55c.

People using tax software would have the software do the calculation, so the online worksheet would not even be necessary.

This would have saved the government taxpayers tens of millions of dollars.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:32 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
Yup, the IRS could have created a simple online worksheet to figure out the credit and the "rebate" could have been put on the 2007 Form 1040 line 55c.

People using tax software would have the software do the calculation, so the online worksheet would not even be necessary.

This would have saved the government taxpayers tens of millions of dollars.
True, but this way someone's friend made money designing, printing and mailing it and it gives G.W.B. credit for saving the economy.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:16 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave View Post
Three letters received. One for us (we won't see a dime since we're well over the AGI limit for 07) and one each for our two DD's (who also get nada as dependents).

Gotta give the gubment credit; always consistent in their spending efficiency.
You know, I thought I was fine with this until I did all the taxes today and found myself in the same boat - 3 kids receiving no check and AGI too high for us. Adding to the insult, I filed a return for my inlaws whose only income is Social Security - owe no tax but had to file so that they would be on the scrolls for the stimulus check. The money is not really important to me - but I'd like someone to explain to me again why all Americans are not getting a check.

At least give my kids a check - they would spend the money so fast the it would make your head spin!
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:24 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Haven't you figured it out yet. You fall into the category of wealthy (middle-class job). Wealthy people cannot be influenced to vote one way or the other with a bribe tax rebate.

They must figure why waste the money on you when it can be used as an earmark for some wealthy person that provides a campaign contribution. Thats the way the system works.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:02 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh - silly me - I thought it was an Economic Stimulus thing - not sure where I got that idea?

I know how to get revenge though. What ever the check amount is - I'm going to save that much more this year - may even put it under the mattress so it is really taken out of the economy!! That will teach them.
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:12 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I had the same thoughts as I opened my "You may be getting money" letter: waste of paper, time, and money.

However, if you believe that sending people money will make them spend more and help the economy, then you have to admit that sending a letter that says "You're going to get money soon" will probably make many people spend money and help the economy.

If the government were smart and with it, of course, it would have all been done via email.