Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Because of the high cost of healthcare here, I doubt that retirees from other countries would want to emigrate permanently to the US. But for snowbirds from Canada or Europe, the expensive healthcare in the US would be a problem only if they succumb to a sudden and serious illness that keeps them from catching a quick flight back home. There might even be some insurance policies that would cover an emergency evacuation back home for them.

So, I guess it may be just some political perceptions of the US that might scare them from coming here to partake in the cheap housing market, wonderful winter climate in some areas, and the lower cost of living. To those people, I say "Come on over. It's safe".

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #22

I don't know about Europeans but no doubt well off people from Brazil, Mexico and other Latin American countries have not hesitated to take advantage of the housing decline to buy property in NY and South Florida. They aren't migrating, just buying second homes or condos, and to them the US is a fantastic, and very safe, place to invest their money.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

There we go. Spread the word. US homes are cheap! Food and booze too. Buy, buy, buy...
Old 07-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I believe Canadians in most provinces have to reside in Canada 6 months of the year to maintain their benefits. That's why they haven't moved to the US year round but rather snowbird.

A and believe me we get quite an influx down here in the winter!
Old 07-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I believe Canadians in most provinces have to reside in Canada 6 months of the year to maintain their benefits. That's why they haven't moved to the US year round but rather snowbird.

A and believe me we get quite an influx down here in the winter!
Yes that is correct although not policed. The real problem is on the receiving end: ie if you reside in tne US for too long (somewhere beyween 121 and 183days) you are deemed to be a US resident for tax purposes. Owning US real estate also exposes you to US Estate taxes which don't exist in Canada. All in all, Canadians view the US as a nice place to visit but....... Incidently, the costs in the US are very low for housing, food, liquor, eating out, services like pool, etc. They are very high for property taxes, electicity, water, sewage,etc. All in all it is really about the weather.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:55 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Very high? I thought our RE taxes and utility bills weren't bad at all, but then I have never lived in Canada to know for comparison.

Oh well, if nothing else, maybe we still have the weather. But down in this "dry heat" part of the US, it's only 7 or 8 months out of the year anyway. May still be good for winter visitors.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:03 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Very high? I thought our RE taxes and utility bills weren't bad at all, but then I have never lived in Canada to know for comparison.

Oh well, if nothing else, maybe we still have the weather. But down in this "dry heat" part of the US, it's only 7 or 8 months out of the year anyway. May still be good for winter visitors.
i think Arizona might be high for utilities versus other parts of the US. Energy costs in Alberta(my base comparison) are very low. Ironically petrol is cheaper in US vs Canada. Property taxes in Arizona are about double what I pay in Alberta while the Arizona house is maybe worth 1.5 times the Alberta house. A lot nicer house in Arizona for sure.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:35 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle4249321/

Many Canadians have invested in US real estate since the crash (Danmar included), but given the difference in the relative populations of our two countries it would take more than that to drive a macroeconomic shift in the US economy.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTravis
Hard to give credibility to an article that can't spell "annualized" correctly:

"..growth probably slipped below an annualised 2% in the first half of this year.."
It's the way the rest of the world spells it. You know we always have to be different. After all we are the US. BTW, the Economist is one of the most if not the best business publication. Don't knock it just because you didn't know it's published in Britain and uses the European spelling.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #30
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
Don't knock it just because you didn't know it's published in Britain and uses the European spelling.
It's Noah's (as in Noah Webster) fault:

English-language spelling reform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Sorry to take it OT, but as somebody often says, it's a "teachable moment" )...
Old 07-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
i think Arizona might be high for utilities versus other parts of the US. Energy costs in Alberta(my base comparison) are very low. Ironically petrol is cheaper in US vs Canada. Property taxes in Arizona are about double what I pay in Alberta while the Arizona house is maybe worth 1.5 times the Alberta house. A lot nicer house in Arizona for sure.
And I thought our RE taxes were low compared to what people in "New Joisey" had to pay. And I had been complaining about the electric cost for cooling with an AC until I saw what some posters paid for heating a smaller house in the North East.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Canadians outpace all other foreign buyers in U.S. real estate market - The Globe and Mail

Many Canadians have invested in US real estate since the crash (Danmar included), but given the difference in the relative populations of our two countries it would take more than that to drive a macroeconomic shift in the US economy.
Every little bit helps. And I think rich Canucks should buy not one house in the US, but two.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
And I think rich Canucks should buy not one house in the US, but two.
And there should be an incremental tax for rich Canucks to ensure that the costs of having them as guests in our country are fully covered......
Old 07-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

What additional costs? They go back home for health care.

Are you saying that we should gouge them charge them the same price for gasoline, food, and booze as they pay at home? I still cannot get over the price tag of $2.99 for an avocado I saw in a grocery store in Banff.

Hmm... Something to think about, since they are used to high prices already. Wait! Some of our far-thinking lawmakers may be mulling this idea already.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:47 AM   #34

When we are down in Arizona, we try to hide the fact we are Canadians ( just kidding) so you won't charge us more. Saying eh gives us away every time. You got me when I registered my car though -$750 per year!!! Insurance costs are higher too but that may be because I didn't have a US credit rating.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:28 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I do not know if we charge foreigners extra for vehicle registration. However, for us the fee has two parts: an amount that is a percentage of the approximate vehicle value, and a second much lower amount that is the same for all vehicles of the same type.

So, as your vehicle is likely a late and expensive model, you will be charged more. They depreciate the value of the vehicles annually according to some schedules. As I keep my vehicles for 10+ years, my licensing fees eventually get dirt cheap.

Regarding the credit rating, it is a shame that US insurance companies do not have access to Canadian ratings. Most likely, they do not care and just want an excuse to charge more.

When I was up in Calgary, I had to bring a tire off my toad (car towed behind motor home) to a Canadian Tire store to fix a puncture. The clerk at the counter asked me for my phone number. I said, "Umm... I am from out of town". The clerk insisted, so I gave it to him. He typed it in, then said, "Mr. NW-Bound?". So, they know all about us up there!

When I got home, I received a letter from them thanking me for the business, and included a form for me to give feedback on their service. Now, I got even more impressed.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Yes that is correct although not policed. The real problem is on the receiving end: ie if you reside in tne US for too long (somewhere beyween 121 and 183days) you are deemed to be a US resident for tax purposes. Owning US real estate also exposes you to US Estate taxes which don't exist in Canada. All in all, Canadians view the US as a nice place to visit but....... Incidently, the costs in the US are very low for housing, food, liquor, eating out, services like pool, etc. They are very high for property taxes, electicity, water, sewage,etc. All in all it is really about the weather.
Interesting that it's not policed. Several folks I know are super careful with their calendar dates, so they act like it's well policed. They do own property here, however. There is no rule in Texas about becoming a resident based on # of days present in the state - it's only based on employment or establishing residency by getting your driver's license, etc. So maybe Canadians don't have to worry about those things in TX.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:48 PM   #37

As long as you keep paying Canadian taxes they don't care too much where you spend your time. The number of days is a federal US rule not state in relation to non-resident aliens(our official descriptor) it is a very important rule and Canadians are generally careful not to run afoul. it uses 3 years worth of data to determine US residency. I guess state residency might be a secondary issue.
NW. Yes I am aware of how they determine the fee. No difference for non US residents. The auto in question was expensive when bought but it is now 5 years old. In Alberta it cost about $70 per year.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

They charge owners of expensive cars more, simply because the owners can "afford" it.

See, even a "red state" like Arizona knows how to "sock it to the rich". Just think what you would have to pay if you brought down your car when it was new.

Tags
economist comeback kid