Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Economist - The Comeback Kid
Old 07-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Economist - The Comeback Kid

Here is an article in the Economist magazine that suggests the US economy is remaking itself and getting ready for the future. Apparently, the doom-and-gloom crowd are wrong again.

The American economy: Comeback kid | The Economist

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

First time Ive seen Uncle Sam with pasties.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Auntie Sam?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Apparently, the doom-and-gloom crowd are wrong again.
The American economy: Comeback kid | The Economist
Of course, an article in the Economist is definitive proof that all is well.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
gone traveling

Hard to give credibility to an article that can't spell "annualized" correctly:

"..growth probably slipped below an annualised 2% in the first half of this year.."
LakeTravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Umm... Both forms are OK, though the "z" version appears more popular in the US.

I still cannot get over the pasties.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-22-2012, 06:53 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yep - the pasties are a little creepy.
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:58 AM   #8

Let's hope they are right. The Economist has often been wrong though alhough they do sound more intelligent in being so.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Auntie Sam?
Samantha.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:38 PM   #10

Interesting article, Chuckanut - thanks for sharing. I tend to agree that we aren't as bad off as we think, and that dealing with public infrastructure is going to be critical in the next decades.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #11

Thanks for sharing.

The article linked to in the 2nd paragraph is worth reading too.

In both articles, they point out the risks. One is that these new industries make tremendous profits, pay their workers very well, but employ only a few highly skilled ones. So they don't help a lot with unemployment and add to the wealth inequality.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Enjoyed the article thanks for sharing. And if (when?) America does what The Economist suggests (below), I'm optimistic too, we'll see...
Quote:
What should the next president do to generate muscle in this new economy? First, do no harm. Not driving the economy over the fiscal cliff would be a start: instead, settle on a credible long-term deficit plan that includes both tax rises and cuts to entitlement programmes. There are other madnesses brewing. Some Democrats want to restrict exports of natural gas to hold down the price for domestic consumers—a brilliant strategy to discourage domestic investment and production. A braver Mr Obama would expedite approval of gas exports. For his part, Mr Romney should back off his promise to brand China a currency manipulator, an invitation to a trade war.

Second, the next president should fix America’s ramshackle public services. Even the most productive start-ups cannot help an economy held back by dilapidated roads, the world’s most expensive health system, underachieving union-dominated schools and a Byzantine immigration system that deprives companies of the world’s best talent. Focus on those things, Mr Obama and Mr Romney, and you will be surprised what America’s private sector can do for itself.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I also appreciate any article that is linked.

It is valid nevertheless to critique these articles. A similar article might have been written in 350 CE about the Roman Empire- if it stops being governed by psychotics, if its own citizens fight some of their wars instead of mercenaries, if there were not a constant need for more territory to give more food and more conquests to do the work that citizens were no longer capable or willing to do, if there were no powerful barbarians in the North who were getting more powerful all the time, if...-

Ha
Old 07-23-2012, 04:48 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
powerful barbarians in the North
I don't think it's fair to blame Canada.
RISP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:06 AM   #15
Administrator

The Economist special on the US was interesting and reminds us of our strengths.

Many countries have overcome more difficult obstacles. The problems facing the US are mostly domestic and man-made, so we neither need the help of others nor rocket scientists to address them. As the song said, we are all prisoners of our own device.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RISP View Post
good one. We have faith in the US. At some point, not sure we are there yet, you will get your act together.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #17
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RISP View Post
Sure it is. They need to "share the wealth" with their poor cousins "down south" ...

Canadians are now richer than Americans - Bottom Line
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Oh man! Need more of them rich snowbirds to come down and buy our unused and overbuilt houses.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Oh man! Need more of them rich snowbirds to come down and buy our unused and overbuilt houses.
I am a little surprised that we don't see more Europeans and Canadians descending en masse to the US of A. Fairly decent housing in many lower or moderate cost areas can be purchased for around $100k USD or a little more. And from what I have seen, food, gas, electronics, etc are generally more reasonably priced here vs. Europe.

I would suspect the perceptions of the US might keep some out, as would the financial burden of health care here in the US. And not sure about immigration and visa opportunities for our friends to the north and east over the pond.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The problems facing the US are mostly domestic and man-made . . .
I think that's why the problems are proving intractable. We've shown ourselves to be pretty good at meeting external challenges and those posed by nature--it's easy to muster the needed national will to fix things imposed on us from outside. But if the problems are internal, and especially if they are a by-product of the same processes that have served us well in other circumstances--that's a tougher nut. I'm optimistic, but I still don't see the needed homeostatic mechanism that normally lurks in the offing to help us out.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
economist comeback kid