Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Edge Index...because you did not ask for it
Old 08-14-2006, 09:52 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Edge Index...because you did not ask for it

The Edge Index

Bozo the Clown's shoe size:
83AAA

Decline in number of IRS audits of corporations over the past five years:
33 percent

Amount it cost for a Japanese man to take a cab from Argentina to New York City:
$58,000

Amount of money a Norwegian woman has made since last May by selling her breast milk:
$9,442.95

Percentage of Americans who do not know the words to "The Star-Spangled Banner":

According to a recent survey of more than 2000 adults, the percentage of Britons who think Winston Churchill was a fictional character:

Percentage who think "The War of the Worlds," H.G. Wells' fictional account of a Martian invasion, actually took place:

Percentage who think the Battle of Helm's Deep (from "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy) actually took place:

Percentage who think the Battle of the Bulge was fictional:

Percentage who think the Cold War was fictional:

Percentage who think Hitler was a fictional character:

Percentage who think Mussolini was a fictional character:

Percentage who think Xena Warrior Princess was a real historical figure:

Percentage of Americans who, in a survey by Denny's restaurants, said they prefer their eggs scrambled:

Percentage who said they like them over easy:

Percentage who said they like them sunny-side up:

Percentage who said they "don't know" how they like their eggs:

Number of people killed by vampire bats in a remote Amazon town in Brazil since March 2:

Number of toothpicks you can make from one cord of wood:
75 million

Number of peanut butter sandwiches the average American child will eat by high school graduation:

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Edge Index...because you did not ask for it
Old 08-14-2006, 10:46 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
Decline in number of IRS audits of corporations over the past five years:
33 percent
Looking some of these numbers up leads to interesting results:

Quote:
Two developments have contributed to the dramatic shift in audit targets from the relatively rich to the relatively poor. One has been a Congressional mandate that the IRS reduce non-compliance in the Earned Income Credit program, a special tax benefit for low-income Americans. A second factor has been the substantial decline in the size of the IRS. After a buildup during the Reagan years, a series of cut-backs agreed to by the Bush and Clinton administrations and by Congress means that in 2001 the full-time IRS staff was 31% smaller than it was in 1988. (By contrast, the FBI is today larger than at any time in its history.) With substantially fewer employees, the face-to-face Area audits essential for the examination of larger and more complex tax returns have plummeted. This is true for both individuals and corporations. In fiscal year 2001, the chances for an Area audit fell to 0.16% per individual return filed -- less than 1 out of ever 600 returns. Only three years ago, the Area rate was more twice the 2001 rate.
In other words, the IRS has been getting smaller for almost 20 years now, with a corresponding decline in the number of audits. Unless you happen to live in the wrong kind of place, that is:

Quote:
There is a substantial variance in audit rates depending upon where you live. In 2000 Southern California District had the highest audit rate. Ohio District had the lowest audit rate.
Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:31 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I like the one that said that more Americans believe in flying saucers than belileve they will ever see their Social Security. Was this true or simply an urban legend? (Somehow, I think I am asking the right man! )
Old 08-14-2006, 08:56 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
I like the one that said that more Americans believe in flying saucers than belileve they will ever see their Social Security.* Was this true or simply an urban legend?
It's a reasonably accurate summary of the 1994 Luntz/Siegel/Third Millenium poll which found that only 28% of 18-34 year olds believed that Social Security would exist when they are retired while 46% believed that UFOs existed. The poll has been criticized by Social Security supporters in the academic community, though.

Quote:
(Somehow, I think I am asking the right man!* *)
Er, which one of us do you thnk believes in the UFOs?*
Old 08-15-2006, 06:58 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I did get the right guy! Statistical study-wise. (UFOs optional.)

Thanks, Scrooge.

Ed The Thetan
:
Old 08-15-2006, 07:12 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

You mean Xena isn't real?*
Robert the Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:00 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Before I left for the office today I saw a story on the news that more Americans can name all seven dwarfs than can name two supreme court justices

That made me ill

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:06 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
Before I left for the office today I saw a story on the news that more Americans can name all seven dwarfs than can name two supreme court justices*

That made me ill

Why? How often do the Supremes impact the daily like of the average Merkin? What's the last time you saw one of them on the tube, aside from C Span? How much money have they spent promoting themselves?

The only time the average Merkin hears about any of the Supremes by name is when one is being confirmed or when some nutball decides that they don't like what a judge wrote and goes on a rant. If any of the justices wandered by the local trailerpark/supermarket/restaurant/nudie bar, nobody would recognize them.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:39 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Why? How often do the Supremes impact the daily like of the average Merkin? What's the last time you saw one of them on the tube, aside from C Span? How much money have they spent promoting themselves?

The only time the average Merkin hears about any of the Supremes by name is when one is being confirmed or when some nutball decides that they don't like what a judge wrote and goes on a rant. If any of the justices wandered by the local trailerpark/supermarket/restaurant/nudie bar, nobody would recognize them.
Brewer, I've been up since 3am today so my sarcasm and humor detectors are totally not working. I serisouly hope you are making fun of American culture (or lack of it) and not excusing these people.

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:42 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
Brewer, I've been up since 3am today so my sarcasm and humor detectors are totally not working.* I serisouly hope you are making fun of American culture (or lack of it) and not excusing these people.

You got me beat by two hours, but my post was a bit half and half. On one hand, I agree with you that public ignorance about the basic facts of our gummint is deplorable. OTOH, of all the various bits of the state, the Supremes probably have the least day to day influence over the average Merkin's life. Look at the esoterica that ends up in the Court: abortion wrangling (who cares except for ideologues), squabbles over fringe areas of property rights (at a time when the bulk of Merkins have more of their wealth bound up in vehicles than appreciating assets), etc.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:43 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
I did get the right guy!* Statistical study-wise.
Oh, that! No, it's just that my Google-fu skills are still pretty good, at least for a part-timer

Quote:
* (UFOs optional.)

Thanks, Scrooge.

Ed The Thetan
:
Oh, a thetan?! You are hereby sentenced to three hours of reading nothing but Richard Shaver's stories! *