Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Education level & occupation of ER
Old 02-03-2004, 08:59 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

BA in Management here. Worked for major brokerage firm and got my Series 7 & 63 brokerage licenses. I found out quickly I didn't like how this industry was run. Luckily became a mortgage counselor at the right time to take advantage of low mortgage rates... business was good last year.

Now I'm considering going to law school. Law does interest me but I would like to get into a profession which offers the potential of a high salary. That way I can earn as much as I can over the next 20 years and still retire pretty young.

Good topic!

-Jay

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2004, 01:21 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

BS Mathematics - one of few women in the Department, did it in 3 years.

USDOL 26 years employment law, 3 years employee relations for a high profile firm. "Retired" to help my parents through major change of life challange.

Keep myself involved in HR with projects from time to time.

Old 02-03-2004, 02:23 PM   #23

I have a BSEE, MSCS and MBA, doing mostly hardware and software development for disc driver controller, avionics, telecomunications equpment and medical devices. I have failed to get into management.

I am 50. Recently, I have been contemplating about going to law school to become a patent lawyer. It might take a while to break even since I have to quit working and pay for the tuition (about $80K). I am not sure if any firm would hire an "old" person with no experience in intellectual property law. I will have sufficient funding to retire in about 3 years.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:12 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I started out in supervision out of college and "worked my way up" to mid level management within the chemical industry. I had worked my entire career in a supervisory or managerial capacity until about 4 years ago. It was then I volunteered to go on a special software implementation project. Since then I have worked in engineering and have never looked back. I have no desire to ever manage or supervise again. I realized after I got out of it there is a much better, less stressful world out there. I now have my week-ends to myself and sleep much better at night.
Be thankful you "failed" to get into management. This is just my experience and I am sure others coped with it better than I did.
(this was in response to Paul's comment. I still don't understand how to highlight a quote after having hit the "quote" button. Even though I said I implemented a software program for a couple years, I didn't say I was any good at it! :-/)
Old 02-03-2004, 04:39 PM   #25

Hiss,

If you look at the toolbar, when you are keying in your reply, on the bottom 2nd from the right, there is a page with a blue arrow. If you click it, a quote will appear on your text page. Just Ctrl C and Ctrl X *your desired test inside the quotes and you will have it.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:20 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

[Just Ctrl C and Ctrl X your desired test inside the quotes and you will have it. ][/]

Thanks for trying to help me Cut-Throat, but if this didn't work, I'm un-helpable.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Thanks for trying to help me Cut-Throat, but if this didn't work, I'm un-helpable.
1.) highlight the text you want to quote -
2.) Press Ctrl and C key at the same time.
3.) Hit reply
4.) when text box comes up - click on 2nd to the last tool button on the second row.
5.) when the quotes appear on your screen. Click in between them
6.) Hit Ctrl and X key at the same time
Old 02-03-2004, 05:30 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
If you click it, a quote will appear on your text page. Just Ctrl C and Ctrl X your desired test inside the quotes and you will have it.[
Hey I got it! Sorry to waste space (if you can do so) and everyone's time from my trial and errors.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:06 AM   #29

>>>
Originally I was in a pre-law program, but left after 2 years - It was hard to resist the Money I was earning in Software. 30 years of various positions in the Software Industry made me ready to ER. *I can now pursue my true calling of a Fly Fisherman
>>>>

Cut-Throat,

Thanks for the insight. Since you are from Minnesota, did you attend the U of M, William M or Hamline law program?

I am still waiting for the fishing openners to arrive. Recently the temperature in Minnesota has not been cooperating for too many outdoor activities, not even for snow shoeing or cross country skiing.

Happy retirement.

Paul
Old 02-04-2004, 08:25 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Education level: PhD, Electrical Engineering
Pre-retirement occupation: coal miner, professor, engineer, engineering director

The coal mining was my occupation before I found out I could get money to go to college. Engineering was easier -- or at least it was cleaner.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:12 AM   #31

Quote:
Pre-retirement occupation: *coal miner, professor, engineer, engineering director

The coal mining was my occupation before I found out I could get money to go to college. *Engineering was easier -- or at least it was cleaner.
Salary Guru,

Which occupation did you enjoy the most if not for the money?

Paul
Old 02-05-2004, 06:28 AM   #32

Hello Paul! While salaryguru is preparing his answer, I thought I would add a little something.

Even though I spent most of my career in manufacturing,
I always loved real estate (investing, not selling).
When I was young, it was not uncommon for me to hold a couple of part time jobs, in addition to my full time
gig. Many times I considered going into real estate
investing full time. I loved it. I understood it. I was
good at it. Never happened. I made money and had
some fun just dabbling though. It was always my first love.

John Galt
Old 02-05-2004, 08:19 AM   #33

Quote:
Even though I spent most of my career in manufacturing,
I always loved real estate (investing, not selling).
...... It was always my first love.
John Galt
Hi John,

I assume that you are alluding to that fact that one should pursue work of interest as opposed to monetary reward and financial reward will follow when one engages in work of passion.

Paul
Old 02-05-2004, 10:45 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Interesting question of preferred job regardless of money.

It might be better if I did it again to see how well it appeals, but when I was 17 and working 3 jobs (one of the first computer retail outlets for min wage, burger flipper at macdonalds, and dishwasher/bus boy in a high end deli in an expensive mall), my favorite, and that feeling persisted with me for some time, was the dishwasher job.

It was busy at times, but we also had plenty of slack time, the money was actually quite good because the waitresses shared tips with me for helping them, the food was great and I could eat all I wanted of it, there were no politics, and you knew you were done at the end of the day.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 11:13 AM   #35

Quote:
..my favorite, and that feeling persisted with me for some time, was the dishwasher job.

It was busy at times, but we also had plenty of slack time, the money was actually quite good because the waitresses shared tips with me for helping them, the food was great and I could eat all I wanted of it, there were no politics, and you knew you were done at the end of the day.
Hi TH,

This reminds me of an occupation, i.e., pharmacist, that I would have considered if I had to start over again. The pay is respectable, and you are not subject to annual performance reviews, project deadlines, unproductive meetings, politcs, and long hours.

Paul
Old 02-05-2004, 11:38 AM   #36
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Which occupation did you enjoy the most if not for the money?
I really enjoyed being an engineer when I was an individual technical contributor most. Professor was too political and I was surrounded by prima donnas. And engineering director was also too political. It was more like being a spiritual leader than being an engineer and it was hard to quantify what you really had managed to do on a day-to-day basis. Plus, I found it difficult to keep from taking political and personnel problems home with me.

I enjoyed many aspects of being a coal miner. Not much politics and you had something tangible (a pile of coal and a vacant entryway) to point to as an accomplishment at the end of every day. And when you went home at night, there was not much fear that you were going to bring your work problems home with you. But it was hard, dangerous, dirty work performed 500 feet underground and it wouldn't top my list as favorites.

Like TH, I spent time washing dishes in a dishroom and I also worked on a county highway crew during summers in high school and undergraduate years. They were jobs, not careers since they were temporary. But I did like washing dishes for some of the reasons TH listed. I also met my wife in the dishroom. I slopped the dishes and she loaded the machine. It was probably my sexy apron and hairnet that made her fall for me.

But county highway road crew would top my list of favorite jobs. I only worked summers and walked behind a truck shoveling rock onto oil and asphalt patches. We'd walk 10 or 15 miles a day out along the beautiful Southern Illinois countryside. Once you got in good enough physical condition, you could go all day and carry on a pleasant conversation with your co-workers. At the end of the day you could look back on the miles of highway you had fixed. Your muscles had a mild, satisfying warmth from the exertion and you had improved your tan. I miss it just writing about it.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:43 PM   #37

Quote:
I really enjoyed being an engineer when I was an individual technical contributor most.
Salary Guru,

Thanks for the reply. I think engineering is great since you are actually developing products that are beneficial to society.

I was a dish washer when I was 17 during which automatic dish washers were not widespread. I had to wash them by hand.

Paul
Old 02-05-2004, 01:03 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Oboy, if I had to wash them by hand I might rank that job lower. We had a big stainless steel one, you loaded the rack, rolled it in one side, closed the door, cycled it, rolled it out the other side.

I'm considering a career option that would blend the best of my money making skills and low aggravation (I think). My dad lives in a well-to-do golf retirement community. Everyone there has a computer and has a lot of handyman needs. He mentioned that the folks there often hire people to help with their pc problems/upgrades and do fix it work, and the "handymen" rip them off.

To wit, one guy across the street was "having problems with quicken". An "expert" was recommended who has so far charged him over $500 to "work on it". His computer is 10 years old. I think I see the problem already. Both of them. A woman a few houses over had a small tree blow over in a high windstorm. Charged her $500 to remove it. My dad had a similar tree blow over, I pulled it upright with my truck, we shoveled a little dirt on it, all good. Same woman paid $250 to mount a screen door on her house.

Seems to me that I could charge about a quarter what these guys are getting and have all the handywork I feel like doing, and turn a nice profit to boot. Here in CA you dont need any special licenses to do any work that is under $500 per job.

On the other hand, I'm sure there are a world of headaches associated with this sort of work.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 01:41 PM   #39

Quote:
On the other hand, I'm sure there are a world of headaches associated with this sort of work.
Hi TH,

You are right. I have a friend, a handyman, had a rough time to collect money from the customers. A lot of time, he had to put up money upfront to buy the material. In some cases, he actually lost money. I guest contractual skills are a must.

Paul
Old 02-06-2004, 07:03 PM   #40
Dryer sheet aficionado

Lots of initials in these messages...the only ones I have are M.O.M. but it's great. Currently am working as an Real Estate Appraiser and will stay with this until ER. One could consider me a "job junkie" as once I had really mastered the job, I had to move either up or out. I can't continue spinning my wheels, need more challenge. Spent time in food service, bartending (my fave as $$ was great and immediate and, as earlier said, work was done when you punched out) brokerage firm, couple stints at WMT,usually had 3 jobs going at any one time. Then my husband and I owned a construction/development co., built some houses, then tired of self-employ and he's now @ a power plant-where he'll stay until ER.