Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Education level & occupation of ER
Old 02-07-2004, 06:11 AM   #41

Re. the handyman comments, for all of my many skills
this is one I lack. I am usually pretty hopeless about
fixing stuff. And, I am impatient and very fussy, a
terrible combination for any DIY/handyman jobs.
The post about what the "experts" were charging older folks got me to thinking. Last summer, a neighbor dog
pushed out the screen in our porch window. I took it into a local window repair shop, but told them to call
me with a price before they started. They called. I told
them to just throw it away. We have lots of windows.

John Galt
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2004, 09:16 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well I can fix or build just about anything, and if I dont know how to do it I can usually find something on the net or a book to show me. Even in areas where I've had some trepidation I've found the results good.

Its just that I became so displeased with the quality of work the "pros" are willing to slink by on. If you dont watch them and question everything they do, you often get a sloppy job. *I* can do a sloppy job for heavens sake.

On the contracting, I think if I did it it would mostly be one-off stuff where I'd get paid on the spot. Remove that tree. Install this screen door. Replace my washer/dryer hoses. Tell me why my computer does this when I do that.

Only two things that would hinder me. I'm not too sure about any liability issues. For instance if the screen door I install whacks someone and knocks them down, how far away is liability on that one? Common sense tells me not to worry, but I know common sense doesnt apply to law in many cases.

Other thing is I'd probably get sucked into 80 hour a week total job offers. There are 5,000 homes in that retirement community and they share references on people who do good work cheap. From what i've seen the only people working in there are doing bad work expensively.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 03:53 PM   #43
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hmmm... this is my first post on this forum so I hope it goes well, as I have weird sense of humor,
I'm honestly a high school drop out , punched the button half way through my senior year, I don't know if thats technically correct though as I was an honor roll student and got my diploma through the mail, either the principal was just tired of dealing with me or I actually deserved it. After that I joined the service (USAF) after my bike laid down on me and I needed a place to stay other than the shoulder of the road. They figured I had a head on my shoulders so they trained me as an EOD tech, during which I almost lost my head. When I got out (with my head still attached) I went into construction pounding nails, you can make alot of money pounding nails, if you can pound them fast enough, and I was fairly fast at pounding them, although I did pound one into my knee cap, (found it during a MRI!)
I was self employed for quite some time, then the IRS came along (those guys are better than average at their job) and I became employed,(you can be assimilated) so now I'm a super for a small construction company and we're retiring in just a few short years at age 46, My wife and I will have our magical number by then, 650k at the present. If thats not enough we have a couple of emergency plans in place, we figure that we can offer a full range of services such as Barn Raisings, Gospel Singings, Virgin Conversions, Software piracy, Revivals, Yard Mowing, Barn Burnings, House Cleaning and General Carpentry (she's a whiz at pounding nails and a good worker) . We have our retirement home paid for , canal front on Okeechobee, as I like to hang onto a big 'ol billy mouth bass from time to time and she likes laughing at me when he gets off. (Biggun's is what the 11year old stranger calls 'em)
Currently the biggest hang up to our retirement is that I don't have my Big "O" bass boat with a Kawsukionda 4 stroke as of yet, and we also have an 11 year old stranger still in the nest. We have regular board meetings, between labor and management, and as I represent labor, I've attempted to bring up the neccesity of these items in our annual budget (I also need an over and under Charles Daly 12 ga. and a complete set of Scent Blockers, not just the hat I got for Christmas)and the lack of funding for these projects, but to no avail. If any of you have any suggestions at better negotiating skills I'd love to hear from you.

Happy ER to All!
Jack
Old 02-07-2004, 04:38 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Well - if you can keep a straight face threaten; to withhold sex, grow your own food, fish from a pirogue without a lifevest, collect AL cans along the highway, buy old boats to fix up and sell/trade (cars for lander's), and then there's old fashioned whining and begging. The - your toys/my toys budget item worked best. She laughed at with hold idea.
Old 02-08-2004, 07:48 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Jack

You could hire and train the 11 yr. old as your labor negotiator-with a 401k and 3% employer matching fund.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:41 PM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado

Jack - you don't have a chance as she's on to you....has been on to you...and she's not gonna buy it. But if she's hung on this long, she'll indulge you. I'd give you some hints but if my husband were to read my postings, I'd lose all my power! You'll do just fine in ER as you've been hungry before and long ago learned the difference between need and want....
Old 02-09-2004, 06:44 PM   #47
Dryer sheet aficionado

re:handyman stuff - the best $$ is in the little jobs. When we were in construction we wouldn't touch it since it took away from the big job. Re:liability - nothing is reasonable or common sense anymore. Do the work, have the homeowner sign an invoice/work order, whatever you want to call it that they are satisfied w/work, quality of work, etc. and cash the check.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:58 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I did the handyman thing as a second job for a while in the 80s. Never worked so hard in my life. Out the door at 6 am for regular job...in the door at 5pm Out the door at 6pm in the door at 11pm.
I was charging 10 bucks an hour and told people I didn;'t know how much their job would cost. But I'd fix it like I would at MY house.. Seemed to impress them. Couldn't give people a final price a lot of times because you weren't sure of what you would find once you got in.
I was always flexible on scope of the work.
I think I'd find it hard to do now though. There are too many people who really look down their noses as a blue collar person. Unless you are fixing their air conditioner. The scam artists and the incompetents in that trade are legion.
Is most trades you have to start as a young person .