Join Early Retirement Today

Education level & occupation of ER
Old 02-02-2004, 12:12 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Education level & occupation of ER

Hello everyone:

I was just curious about the education level and pre-retirement occupation(s) of the ER or soon-to-be ER posting on this site. Also, whether you were self-employed, worked for a company, or were a public servant.

It would be interesting to see how diverse a group we are!

I will start: I have a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration. My occupation: Personnel work for a mid-size company.

Toejam

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Education level & occupation of ER
Old 02-02-2004, 01:57 AM   #2

Associate in Arts. 30+ years in manufacturing. President/CEO of 4 corporations.
Owned a small mfg. company until I shut it down
in 1993 when I semiretired.

John Galt
Old 02-02-2004, 02:34 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

To get a really thorough response to this you can go to the "Introduce Yourself Here" discussion in this forum. Here's the fast way to get there: http://www.early-retirement.org/cgi-...rd=intro_board

One thing that I find interesting is that there is a high rate of attrition of people who post comments. In some cases that was fine because it contributed to the rationality of the discussion. But others made interesting comments and then just disappeared into cyberspace. I can't help but wonder if they went back to work, died, or just found a more interesting way to spend their time.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:49 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

BS Bus Admin, Finance Major, occupation: work in the Information Systems Dept. for a large multinational chemical/pharma corporation. expect to retire sometime in 2nd qtr this year.
Ray (bennevis)
Old 02-02-2004, 05:26 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hey Toejam,

I'm 28, and I have a BA in Economics. I got started on this whole "retirement" kick when I had a discussion about retirement w/ my dad (age 60) over a couple of beers. I find that these types of discussion forums are excellent research, as they provide many links, viewpoints, and references.

Occupation: I was an Actuarial Analyst (defined benefit pensions) until I was laid off two months ago. Nice X-mas present. : I tend to post in spurts b/c I get preoccupied with errands, boring academic type papers, personal retirement research and such, and my son (loves to take walks).

- Alec
Old 02-02-2004, 06:47 AM   #6

This is really for Ted. I too have pondered the fate
of those who post for a while and then disappear.
Expect I will be here a while as this is the only site I
visit regularly, and I find ER issues endlessly fascinating.
Hopefully, my absenses will be temporary.

John Galt
Old 02-02-2004, 08:25 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There are probably a lot of people like me who do not post much and I don't expect that will change. Its not an issue of being a lurker its just that the messages already provide interesting information. I would not measure the success of the site by how many posts as much as by how widely read the board is. A lot of people have one question and they find the answer in reading the board or from a single post. One reason there are more posts on some Motely Fool boards is that they get off topic a lot. That can be entertaining but I like the focus and readability of this site.

As to education: BA Philosophy, lots of grad courses in business but from 4 different grad schools as I moved around a lot with the Navy. Now have 20+ years as a logistics manager with NASA.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:38 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

MS in EE/CS. Worked as programmer for telephony company for 25 years.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:52 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

B.S Chemical Engineering.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:04 AM   #10

MSCS. Software developer since I started college, getting sucked into a management vacuum along the way.

I distinctly remember thinking in my 20's that software development was a young-man's game (probably after an all-night codefest with various data structures and algorithms burnt into my brain). I never real considered retirement, but felt I'd be changing careers before I hit 40. Instead, I did the startup thing at 35. Sold out at 38. Hung around a public company as VP for a couple years, and finally decided at 40 that my next career would be doing absolutely nothing
Old 02-02-2004, 10:42 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was a millwright. I had a group of industrial machines that I had to keep running. As long as they ran, management ingored me except to occasionally call me on the walkie talkie to tell me to adjust something to meet the changing demands of the plant. I have a bachelor's degree in 4 different fields. This was just a hobby degree that had nothing to do with my career. I just like learning.
Old 02-02-2004, 12:38 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

B.S.Chemistry- 29 yrs goo and stick - re- entry heat shields, insulation, adhesives, paint, composites.
Old 02-02-2004, 01:17 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Barely scraped myself out of high school. I found core education curriculum so slow moving I could barely stay awake. No college, couldnt afford it.

Caught on with a large high tech company as a programmer at 18, stayed with them for 5 years working my way from systems programming to sales technical support to a sales role. Worked with a lot of great people. That in a sense was my college education. Did a couple of startups after that and then job hopped through a handful of midsize companies mostly in field sales and corporate marketing roles, then stayed with a fortune 500 company in IT and marketing roles for 9 years until I retired at 39.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2004, 02:48 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to RedOscar

OK Toejam,

Bachelors of Electrical Engineering; worked for the same electric utility company my entire career; retired at age 48 when the company made me eligible to begin receiving my pension (and I was ready and financially able to leave).

I love every minute of this retirement business and do not regret one bit my decision to leave.

Red
Old 02-02-2004, 08:36 PM   #15

This is good stuff. We have a couple of CEOs, CFOs, HR, marketing, training, and a bunch of engineers. All we need is a product and we can start a virtual company.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:58 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
* All we need is a product and we can start a virtual company.
I have a BS and MS in civil engineering and specialized in wastewater treatment. I'm working on a device that would extract dental floss and condoms from sewage for recycling. Anyone interested?
Old 02-03-2004, 05:00 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

MASc in EE. Startup after graduation then went on to work for investment banks for the last decade. Slowing heading for the door...
Old 02-03-2004, 08:06 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
We have a couple of CEOs, CFOs, HR, marketing, training, and a bunch of engineers.
Add my name to the list of engineers! MSEE, specializing in RF and wireless. Last 10 years doing independent consulting, now down to a few hours per week, doing only the projects I find interesting.

Great site - I check it often, but haven't posted much.

Peter
Old 02-03-2004, 08:32 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm working on a device that would extract dental floss and condoms from sewage for recycling. Anyone interested?
Just please tell me you arent recycling one into the other and I'll be fine.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 08:55 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting Thread.....

All right, let's see.... I have a BS in Business Administration and a BS in Electrical Engineering. I'm 33 (almost 34) and am not yet retired. Hard to say when I will retire, It's feasible in a couple of years though. Might hang on a bit longer to make it more comfortable, or if I get laid off (not all uncommon these days !!) I may work part time in my own business to make up the difference in $$.

When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
panhead is offline   Reply With Quote