Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

EGO Electric Lawn Mower, Blower and Trimmer
Old 07-25-2018, 11:45 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

EGO Electric Lawn Mower, Blower and Trimmer

Seriously thinking about going electric with some EGO lawn equipment to replace my aging lawn mower, blower and trimmer. Would be nice not having to buy gas and mixing it not to mention pulling my should out of socket starting the Stihl weedeater and blower. Seems like battery technology has caught up in the lawn equipment department. I have a small maybe 5-6K sq, ft. size yard. Just curious if anyone on board here has tried the EGO equipment and what your comments might be. Thanks in advance.

Looking at the 21' self propelled mower and their basic trimmer and blower. All of them together are just under a grand.

https://egopowerplus.com
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2018, 12:24 PM   #2

I swapped out all my gas stuff for Greeworks 40V system a couple of years ago. I just LOVE them. I've acquired; mower, blower, weed whacker, pole saw. The new stuff is 60/80V, but my yard is full of decks and gardens. So, back yard is a postage stamp, while front a average burb lot size. I mow a little slower than I would with gas, and the blower is modest, but satisfactory for my needs. Also, the 40V power is very adequate for my yard.

I've got a 2 & 4 amp hour battery. It's a rare day when my yard work requires the second battery to be deployed. I interchange them to smooth the aging process.

Good luck. If you go with a top flight product, I think you'll be very satisfied.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:36 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Electric mowers etc. have come a long ways and IMO are a great investment.

Like you said no gas to mess with really no maintence to do what so ever. I need a chain saw with some of my hobbies and for a wood stove and I have both an electric and of course gas/mix and I will use the electric every time I can if I have power available.

When I'm in the back country I have to take a gas chain saw and not by choice. I also have a hedge trimmer that is electric and love the electric tools very much and for many reasons.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:36 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I have the ego blower and trimmer - LOVE them

the only thing you need to do is to switch the trimmer line out with something thicker, I use orange. once you switch out the line that trimmer handles just about anything

changing out line is easy - it takes me about 3 minutes no joke
Old 07-25-2018, 01:12 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I have the ego blower and trimmer - LOVE them

the only thing you need to do is to switch the trimmer line out with something thicker, I use orange. once you switch out the line that trimmer handles just about anything

changing out line is easy - it takes me about 3 minutes no joke
+1
I have the same setup.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:28 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

My cousin just bought a Ryobi electric riding mower. Although it was expensive @ $2499, it will cut 2 acres on one charge. And it runs 1 mph faster than my zero turn mower. Sounds pretty impressive.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
...Would be nice not having to buy gas and mixing it not to mention pulling my should out of socket starting the Stihl weedeater and blower...
I also use a Stihl gas-powered blower and trimmer. Stihl equipment can be frustrating to start until you figure out the cold start "routine" for each piece of equipment. And it's different for each. And the manual is useless. My trimmer wants three pulls with the choke on. No more, no less. Then, it starts right up on the second or third pull after that. The blower will only tolerate one pull with the choke on before flooding. So it gets one pull with choke on, then it starts on the next one or two pulls. Both routines work every single time.

I have over 2 acres to mow, so I'll stick with my Ferris zero turn. But I'm needing a new chainsaw and I saw that Milwaukee just released a battery-powered model that will be sold at Home Depot starting in August. I had my eye on a Dewalt battery-powered chainsaw but the reviews were not good WRT the bar and chain. It seems that the Milwaukee model has same power and battery life but a much-improved bar/chain/tensioning mechanism, similar to gas saws.

I never thought I'd buy anything except a Stihl gas-powered chainsaw, but I'm seriously considering the Milwaukee. I agree that battery technology is getting better and better all the time. I still have a corded-electric hedge trimmer that will be the next to go. But I'll be keeping my Stihl blower and trimmer for the foreseeable future.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
I also use a Stihl gas-powered blower and trimmer. Stihl equipment can be frustrating to start until you figure out the cold start "routine" for each piece of equipment. And it's different for each. And the manual is useless. My trimmer wants three pulls with the choke on. No more, no less. Then, it starts right up on the second or third pull after that. The blower will only tolerate one pull with the choke on before flooding. So it gets one pull with choke on, then it starts on the next one or two pulls. Both routines work every single time.

I have over 2 acres to mow, so I'll stick with my Ferris zero turn. But I'm needing a new chainsaw and I saw that Milwaukee just released a battery-powered model that will be sold at Home Depot starting in August. I had my eye on a Dewalt battery-powered chainsaw but the reviews were not good WRT the bar and chain. It seems that the Milwaukee model has same power and battery life but a much-improved bar/chain/tensioning mechanism, similar to gas saws.

I never thought I'd buy anything except a Stihl gas-powered chainsaw, but I'm seriously considering the Milwaukee. I agree that battery technology is getting better and better all the time. I still have a corded-electric hedge trimmer that will be the next to go. But I'll be keeping my Stihl blower and trimmer for the foreseeable future.
I have been using Stihl blowers and trimmers for over forty years. Starting the blowers are no problem, the trimmers can be a real touchy PIA to get running. I downsized from about an acre and a half to a postage stamp lawn and I'm ready to forego the hydrocarbon fueled equipment PDQ.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:03 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I have just under 2k sq ft to mow(patio home) so didn't need a self propelled. I bought a Sun Joe 16" 40v from Home Depot and it's super light. Also have a SJ 20v trimmer and blower. Each takes about 1 hr to charge. I've got about $425 total in it all. Bought the mower on a 4th of July sale.

Very pleased with my setup. I've had the mower over a year and performs just as well as day one. I too have to walk a little slower as I have some thick bermuda mixed in with my centipede. But you can't tell the difference in cut to my neighbor's self propelled Craftsman mower. I'll never own a gas mower again.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:10 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

After buying a new gas blower almost every season, I bought the EGO blower several years ago. It performs as well as the gas blowers I had and I don’t have to worry about it not starting. I love it!!
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 08:52 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Fourth season using the mower-20 inch deck, not self propelled. Quiet and zero maintenance. Battery is holding its own so far. I have about 3.5K sq/ft of lawn and can get through on a single charge. Not as powerful as gas but gets the job done. I’m pleased with it.
fvfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:41 PM   #12

I have the EGO mower, trimmer and blower. I've had the blower for several years. I keep telling my DW that it was probably the best piece of equipment I've ever owned. I have 3 batteries and 3 chargers, so I never run out of juice. Love them all. Might buy the chain saw next.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:59 AM   #13

I have the Echo battery powered push mower and weed trimmer. They work great for my use. This is my fourth summer using the push mower, second with the trimmer. You can read more about them here: Home | ECHOCordless.com
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:32 AM   #14

I have the EGO blower and string trimmer. So much nicer than having to buy gas, mix it up, fight to get it started, and breathing in all those fumes. They're also much quieter, and I like that they turn off completely as I walk to the next area I need to work on. It's also nice that they turn off if I need to talk to someone.

I have two batteries and two chargers so one can be charging while I'm using the other. We have two acres, and about half of that is lawn or other areas that need care. I don't have a lot of stuff I need to trim so a single battery easily handles the jobs around the yard and up the driveway. The blower goes through the batteries a bit faster so I do tend to outpace the chargers with that. But I'm cleaning all the sidewalks, and about 300 feet of driveway. Sometimes I wish I had a third battery, but it's not the end of the world to take a break for a half hour or so till the batteries charge up again.

I have the handheld EGO blower and it does get heavy after a while with the battery. I find myself switching back and forth between the left and right hands. If I was buying new today, I think I might get the LB6002 backpack blower. It would take the weight off my wrist and the battery is larger so it could run longer.

I'm still using my gas powered Honda HR214 mower to mow our yard. Takes me about 70-80 minutes to mow the entire yard. It works well so I probably won't replace it until I can't walk the yard anymore. Then I'll probably look for an electric riding mower like the Ryobi.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:53 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I bought the EGO mower and trimmer last year and like them much better than gas. May get the blower this Fall.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:12 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

My lawn is being mowed/trimmed/blown, while I drink coffee. Though somewhat contrary to my cheap bastardhood, when it’s 100+ degrees, I’m happy I blew that dough!

As for battery-powered stuff, I have a hedge trimmer that works as well as the corded version, and it saves dragging around a 100’ extension...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 04:54 AM   #17
Dryer sheet wannabe

I bought the EGO SP mower last year along with the trimmer, and I am pleased with the results - since I have a hilly section to my yard, I let gravity bring me down and the SP drags me back up. I am so glad I opted for the SP - can use it manually or not. Until I finish clearing a bit more area, I only have about 2.5K sq ft, and that is easily done within the one charge. If you are sticking to one brand, it is easy to rack up extra batteries to keep them charged and swap out for longer jobs. I admit to not using the trimmer quite as much, but that also worked well. The quiet and not having to mess with chokes and twisting motions of pull-starts is amazing.

I caved and bought the 56v EGO chainsaw this Spring, and it has worked well for trees up to about 6" so far. I was really surprised at how light the chainsaw was, especially with how well it performed. I have to be careful about getting too close to brush, as that has gummed up the links a couple times, but it is very easy to clear and re-tighten everything. I put my old lawnmower out on the side of the road this Spring with a "FREE - Take Me Home" sign on it. It disappeared within an hour, and I have no regrets.
Snafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 05:59 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Can't help on EGO brand, but strongly encourage the use of the newer electric yard tools. We have 4 pieces of Greenworks and not 1 complaint on any. Larger inner city yard 90X165, don't know the actual grassy amouts, but 1 battery does it unless the lawn is tall or at the beginning of the season when thicker.

You will not regret going electric if you do you research.
jimandthom is offline   Reply With Quote