El Paso not most dangerous city

FinallyRetired

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This seems like a back handed compliment ... hey, we're not the most dangerous city in violent crime! This is the headline from the El Paso Times, and is one of their most viewed stories.

El Paso not on Forbes.com's list of dangerous cities
El Paso not on Forbes.com's list of dangerous cities - El Paso Times

If you read the article further it says that "El Paso was named the third-safest city in the City Crime Rankings 2008-2009 released late last year by CQ Press." Not sure I believe either of those statistics, but that statement would have made a better headline.

I've been to El Paso several times and really like the city, and considered moving there at one time. But I'm allergic to the dust storms in the summer, and was advised it would not be healthy for me.

BTW here are the most dangerous cities on the Forbes list, some surprises for me:

Detroit -- always #1 in any bad statistic, foreclosures, crime, even football
Memphis
Miami
Sin City
Stockton :confused:
Orlando
Little Rock
Charleston - surprise, but only been downtown and Sullivan's Island
Nashville
Baltimore - been there many times, never thought it dangerous, guess I'm naive
NOrleans
Baton Rouge
West Palm Beach
Charlotte - But it seems so friendly
Philadelphia
I'm suspicious of any list like this that doesn't include DC

America's Most Dangerous Cities - Forbes.com

I used to live in Charlotte, a neighborhood called Elizabeth in the greater downtown area. I could regularly hear gunshots from the ghetto behind our neighborhood. Quite a bit of crime in that city. Still though, it was a fun place to live in my mid 20's though I'd never think of raising a family there.

This seems like a back handed compliment ... hey, we're not the most dangerous city in violent crime! This is the headline from the El Paso Times, and is one of their most viewed stories.

El Paso not on Forbes.com's list of dangerous cities
El Paso not on Forbes.com's list of dangerous cities - El Paso Times

If you read the article further it says that "El Paso was named the third-safest city in the City Crime Rankings 2008-2009 released late last year by CQ Press." Not sure I believe either of those statistics, but that statement would have made a better headline.

I've been to El Paso several times and really like the city, and considered moving there at one time. But I'm allergic to the dust storms in the summer, and was advised it would not be healthy for me.

BTW here are the most dangerous cities on the Forbes list, some surprises for me:

Detroit -- always #1 in any bad statistic, foreclosures, crime, even football
Memphis
Miami
Sin City
Stockton :confused:
Orlando
Little Rock
Charleston - surprise, but only been downtown and Sullivan's Island
Nashville
Baltimore - been there many times, never thought it dangerous, guess I'm naive
NOrleans
Baton Rouge
West Palm Beach
Charlotte - But it seems so friendly
Philadelphia
I'm suspicious of any list like this that doesn't include DC

America's Most Dangerous Cities - Forbes.com

I don't think its Charleston itself that is the problem, its North Charleston. Maybe Sarah in SC can comment on that. I doubt there's much crime in downtown Charleston, the police presence was noticeable.

I don't think its Charleston itself that is the problem, its North Charleston. Maybe Sarah in SC can comment on that. I doubt there's much crime in downtown Charleston, the police presence was noticeable.
That tends to be true of any heavily touristed area worldwide. Economies that are largely dependent on tourism need to make sure the touristy areas remain relatively safe. That often comes at a price in the non-touristy areas of the same city in the form of reduced police presence where locals are shooting each other up... in another part of town.

Interesting El Paso on the safest list, with Juarez close enough people can almost borrow sugar thru the kitchen windows across country lines.

I've never been to El Paso but would certainly like to visit.

I've heard Stockton is a tough town, never been there either.

Memphis is always featured on that show "The First 48" they do seem to have a very busy homicide squad.

Detroit, did you Dis D-Town:confused:

I live north of Detroit, and agree that the city is the thirteenth level of Hell. However, since you Dissed us here, I'll be bringing the DW's S&W .357 Magnum to "cap" you. :mad:

Just kidding you, 'Finally'. I did go to the gun show out here in Macomb County on Saturday, and after looking at lots of semiauto "assault rifles", I bought American! A Winchester model 1994 30-30 lever action rifle with a small (5X) scope. I went to the Double Action gun range this AM and sighted it it. I might be invited hunting this fall, so now I'm equiped. I could never actually shoot a deer, I'd be afraid to touch it afterwards. I guess that I would go for the 'male bonding' effect.:greetings10:

I live north of Detroit, and agree that the city is the thirteenth level of Hell. However, since you Dissed us here, I'll be bringing the DW's S&W .357 Magnum to "cap" you. :mad:

Hey, not dissing Detroit, just jealous that my part of the country, DC, got robbed of the #1 spot, didn't even make the top 15. Everyone knows DC is the murder capital. They probably made the guy who made the rankings an offer he couldn't refuse, so DC got off the list.

About that gun show, glad you bought American, might be the next growth industry, if it isn't already.

Now, about those Lions, can't help you there. :greetings10:

Doug - Remember when the zombie apocalypse goes down try to hit 'em with one shot to the head to conserve ammo.

A Winchester model 1994 30-30 lever action rifle with a small (5X) scope. I went to the Double Action gun range this AM and sighted it it. I might be invited hunting this fall, so now I'm equiped. I could never actually shoot a deer, I'd be afraid to touch it afterwards. I guess that I would go for the 'male bonding' effect.:greetings10:

...maybe you should watch Joe Pesci in "My Cousin Vinny" so you'll know exactly how to act during this male bonding experience...:LOL: Or, better yet, the Outdoor Channel...

Welcome to El Paso

At least we're not Detroit...​
I did some Army time in El Paso during the seventies.
At that time it was one of the most sought after assignments (after Hawaii) on the list.
Had a great time!! Apparently the tide has gone out :mad:

Driving THROUGH Stockton is one thing. Stopping there is an entirely different story.

Ive been to Stockton a few times. I only live about an hr away. :) Its not that bad. Just like any other major city. There are places where you don't go.

Like 15 or 16 hrs driving. Stopped at Bobs Big Boy in S California. Beeeeeennnn years since I ate at one. All I have to say is the traffic in S California is insane. :LOL:

OMG, are they still in business. I loved those Bobs Big Boys, must have had something to do with the big plastic signs.

Big Boy Restaurants, LLC - Home of the Famous BigBoy Sandwich

I'll just take a large coffee and the left side of the menu, please. Yes, make that the lite syrup. Ohhh boy!

Back
Top Bottom