Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-09-2007, 11:00 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ah yes... My Mom really wanted to go back to HNL to see her friends, so I took her to on a ride Seaside and I drove to the places she stayed as a teen and up to Rockaway where she would take us kids. It was a wonderful ride as she told stories about my grandmother's stunts.

I took her to Eugene to see her sister who has since passed away.

She has wanted to do that again, but it is so difficult to get her in and out of the car. My brother and I have promised ourselves that when the weather turns nice we will take her for a ride around the old neighborhood. So much that has changed even in the last couple years. She will probably miss the ethnic enclaves that provided the spice to the city (the Italian shoe-man always had a glass of wine to offer from his vat in the celler).

Sometimes we really want to do that which is too much...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2007, 08:28 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the ideas and advice. Your general thoughts match mine. That is, that the trip could work out OK, but there's a lot of potential for some major headaches.

They are considering staying in motels.

The other movie that comes to mind for me is "Little Miss Sunshine."

Old 06-10-2007, 09:14 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I liked the train idea, but if there's a medical emergency between cities, or even at a stop, it would be hard to deal with.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:49 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I liked the train idea, but if there's a medical emergency between cities, or even at a stop, it would be hard to deal with.
Dunno Al - bet most any train has a doctor on board trying to be on vacation. And the train driver would be unaffected, maybe unlike a motorhome/private car driver/daughter. And I betcha people have gotten sick and/or perished on trains enough that they have a well rehearsed response to it, unlike trying to find the local hospital on a strange route for a casual driver. Factor in fuel and lodging and the $ difference might not be too different, but with some advantages to the train. Plus I really like trains - they go through prettier scenery than highways.
Good luck, whatever the choice.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:52 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I personally would do what planning I could and then go for it.

FYI, the trains between Chi and NY are single level. I've never used one of the sleepers, but having peered through an open door when boarding, I'd say they are pretty tight. Handicapped might be better.
"To be a man means that you are brave, loyal and true. When you are in the wrong, you own up and take your punishment. You don't take advantage of women. As a husband, you support and protect your wife and children. You are gracious in victory and a good sport in defeat. Your word is your bond. Your handshake is as good as your word... When the ship goes down, you put the women and children into the lifeboats and wave good-bye with a smile." C Murray
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:38 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
.......I betcha people have gotten sick and/or perished on trains enough that they have a well rehearsed response to it, unlike trying to find the local hospital on a strange route for a casual driver....
A good friend of mine was on his way to California aboard Amtrak's Southwest Chief several years ago, and collapsed for no apparent reason. (He was traveling by himself on that trip) The car attendant found him, notified the conductor who got emergency medical care lined up...basically out in the middle of Nowhere, AZ. They got him to a hospital, where he was checked out and treated, and then recuperated for a couple of days.

At the end of his hospital stay, Amtrak arranged for transportation back to the nearest train station about 40 miles away, so he could continue on his trip. His insurance paid for the medical care and ambulance, and Amtrak paid the bill for transportation back to the train station.

Amtrak personnel are prepared for most anything.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:19 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I obviously don't know your mothers medical condition or if altitude is a factor, but I would think if you all pitched in and got her a first class airline ticket that would be much more comfortable and only take a few hours. Some airlines have those chairs that convert to beds in first class if she has to lay down.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:48 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I see your point, but I think she's pretty much past the ability to take public transportation. She is, and looks, so frail that no attendant in his/her right mind would allow her on a plane or train. If she were a little better, I'd favor the plane/train ideas.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:58 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well, you're pretty limited on options then, so the RV thing would be about the only way to go.

Unless, you opt for a 20 day SEA - NY cruise thru the Panama Canal. The ships have medical facilities on board and are very used to dealing with emergencies. Just a thought.

FALL PANAMA CANAL CRUISE - Seattle, Washington to New York, New York

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:39 PM   #30

I had suggested the train (and actually still think it has much to recommend it), but check out this argument against:

Police: Diabetic Man Missing After Being Kicked Off Train - Local News Story - KPHO Phoenix
Old 06-29-2007, 08:56 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Lots of interesting ideas, thanks.

In any case, sister 1 is buying the camper in a few days. It's a 1995.

I suggested they rent one and go for a few day's trip, but she didn't go for that.

Sister 1, Sister 2, and Mom will drive to our house for a visit in July. Hopefully that will give them a taste of eldercare in an RV.

My family's antics are always amusing.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:58 AM   #32

Suggest that they keep a journal. This escapade may well be fodder for family legend.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:36 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Great idea! I'll buy them a nice blank book for that.

Related to that, I've been editing and adding photographs to my Mom's memoirs. It's a good thing for her to work on when she feels like it, and we've had a good time going over things on the phone.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:08 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Well,they're off. They left this morning on a trip they expect to take seven days. Mom is doing quite well, physically, so the trip might just work.
Becoming a Great Sight-Reader--Or Not!
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:27 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Well,they're off. They left this morning on a trip they expect to take seven days. Mom is doing quite well, physically, so the trip might just work.
Should I be looking for their blog, or should I be worrying that they might start a blog?

Just kidding. Hope this goes well...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:52 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I suggested a blog, but they're not computer literate enough.

They already had a tire blow out today, on their first day.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:34 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Well, they made it. Took six days, with no problems other than the tire blow out.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:27 AM   #38

Glad to hear they made it OK.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:23 PM   #39

Ditto - good news to hear Al.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:29 PM   #40

That's great news! Did she enjoy the trip?

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eldercare