Election Lawn Signs

Do you have a political sign on your lawn right now?

• Yes

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • No

Votes: 47 79.7%
  • Is there an election coming up?

Votes: 5 8.5%

• Total voters
No, but I snuck onto Finance Dude's yard tonight and planted a bunch of 'em>:D

Sorry about the Rottweilers and laser weapons, I didn't know it was you..............;)

I think some kind of sign disarmament system is in order. That is, the two competing campaigns agree not to put up signs, neither has an advantage, and they can spend the saved money on robocalls.

Those signs can generally be recycled, but I'll bet that millions of these non-decomposing things end up in landfill.

My lawn confirms my support of the Green Party
...........and the Leaf Party, lately

My lawn confirms who I voted for. It is full of goose poop. And when I returned from the polls, there were tons of geese.

Goose poop stinks less than other kinds of poop, hence the reason I voted for the goose poops.

On a different note, apparently it is illegal to put campaign signs in the median on a public right of way. Saw the NCDOT crews out this morning pulling up campaign signs. Not only did the candidates waste money on the signs, but they are also consuming state taxpayer dollars for added maintenance on our road. Those guys had shovels urgently needed to be leaned against somewhere else I'm sure! :D

I am actually considering putting up a sign, the text being "Don't let your dog crap in my yard!"
I think you already know what the result would be. Within 24 hours you probably wouldn't be able to even remove the sign without stepping on a doo-mine.

I am actually considering putting up a sign, the text being "Don't let your dog crap in my yard!"

You need to amend that to: "Whether you vote or not, Don't let your dog crap in my yard!".

That will make it political, and therefore "free speech", so nobody can make you take it down.

-ERD50

I think you already know what the result would be. Within 24 hours you probably wouldn't be able to even remove the sign without stepping on a doo-mine.

Already plenty of doggie bombs...

It is actually illegal in these parts to not scoop the poop. Not to mention rude. And you kids get off my lawn... :LOL:

None in my yard, but dozens in my garage. The metal frames make great wickets for beach ball croquet. >:D I also use them to prop up my tomatos and bean plants, and for low climbing vines. I am a great fan of the democratic process. :D

Me, too!
Every year I find one or two signs on my property (the part along the road that isn't visible from the house). As soon as I notice them, I take them in, throw away the sign portion, and save the frames for the garden.

RE: value of a lawn sign -

I understand. Where I lived lawn signs were popular and it was a way of saying out loud what your position was. (from vote yes or no on the school levy to the name of a candidate). A way of saying that I am willing to discuss politics.

Thought I add to this after passing oooodles of signs near the polls yesterday...

Thanks for the explanation Martha. I can see it can make a difference depending on the norms in the area. In our neighborhood, they are pretty rare, so I think they stand out and look a bit trashy, but that's just me. I can understand that it sends a message of "talk to me about this candidate", but I could see that better served with a box with pamphlets or something (like the ones you take for house sale sign) with some info, or a "knock on my door to get info about Candidate X", or a legible web address. I'm still leaning towards The Onion satire article that was linked here as to the value.

Totally a co-incidence, but I happened to bump into a local candidate that I know personally as I ran a few errands on the way to the polls. He actually brought up signs, saying he doesn't really like them, but he got a last minute influx of funds and decided that is about all they could do on short notice. And he mentioned
how many signs candidate Y had put out in another race, and kind of rolled his eyes. Then I saw hundreds of those signs in a row, just about 3 feet apart, rows and rows of them. At that point, I decided if someone was that wasteful with their funds, I didn't want to entrust our tax money to them ;)

Sure, you could say they already spent the money, might as well use them. I really think a more modest display would have sent a better message, even if they left a bunch of signs in a garage somewhere. Just checked - that candidate lost.

I also felt a little better about voting this time than I ever have before (that's not saying much). Some of the elections were quite close, still no winner declared, and actually made me feel like my vote counted a little bit for a change. I still doubt that the person I voted for can make any real difference, but hey, it's something.

-ERD50

Forgot to mention. I voted twice for the same candidate yesterday. Yeah, I know, some of those used to Chicago politics might be thinking... "So?"

But we actually had two separate votes for the same position. It was the Senate position vacated when Obama became President, and made famous by our former Governor Blagojevich. There was one vote for the six year term, and another for the remainder of the unexpired term that Roland Burris now holds as appointee.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom