Election Lawn Signs

Do you have a political sign on your lawn right now?

• Yes

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • No

Votes: 47 79.7%
  • Is there an election coming up?

Votes: 5 8.5%

• Total voters

FIREd

Moderator Emeritus
Just for fun,

Do you have a political sign on your lawn right now?

Such signs must be verboten in our neighborhood - thanks goodness!!

Heck - DH won't even let me put up the alarm security sign.

My lawn confirms my support of the Green Party
...........and the Leaf Party, lately

NO! I'm so tired of getting all these flyers, so NO I don't have any signs. All the flyers go directly into my recycle bin. There are some yard signs on my street tho. Two neighbors directly across the street from each other have signs up opposing each other.

I've never had so many people come directly to my door handing out flyers. Today, I was rushing around getting ready to leave and the door bell rang causing my dog to go heywire. I was yelling at the dog to be quiet, holding on to her so she wouldn't run out and answering the door. The poor lady didn't stay long after I answered with my own growl.:ROFLMAO:

No signs in my yard.

I plan to go to vote tomorrow for people whose names I have not heard mentioned in the barrage of excruciating TV ads. If the name is completely unknown to me, he/she is my candidate.:LOL:

No. Like many places our town has a rule limiting when a yard sign can appear (30 days before the election, removal the day after the election). Next year this new state law applies: Campaign signs: Illinois law will let campaign signs stay up year-round - chicagotribune.com

so there will be no limit to how long one can have a political yard sign. It will be interesting to see how early the campaign signs start appearing (and how long it will take after the election before they are [-]stolen[/-] removed by neighbors).

I will be SO glad to see 11.3.2010.
No more robo calls, no more fliers, no more canvassers and for heavens sake no more #%$@#&*^$# political commercials.

Audrey,
Not sure, but I don't think they can outlaw them. Something about free speech. I think they can control the number and size.

Audrey,
Not sure, but I don't think they can outlaw them. Something about free speech. I think they can control the number and size.

Whether homeowner associations can bar political signs is a matter of state law. Because it isn't the government banning speech it isn't a first amendment issue. A very quick Google search, and who knows if the results are accurate, indicates that Texas law may provide that homeowner associations can't bar lawn signs but as you say, can control size and number.

For me? First year in maybe 30 years without a sign.

It's important that people count the signs and vote for whoever has the most. This is how democracy is supposed to work.

Here is one political consultant's take on lawn signs - he strongly believes that they don't work and that campaigns could better spend their time and money on other things.

http://mpapolitical.com/

scroll down to the second piece on the page

No, but I snuck onto Finance Dude's yard tonight and planted a bunch of 'em>:D

Audrey,

No. Like many places our town has a rule limiting when a yard sign can appear (30 days before the election, removal the day after the election). Next year this new state law applies: Campaign signs: Illinois law will let campaign signs stay up year-round - chicagotribune.com

That's depressing. Our neighborhood has very strict rules (no fences, etc), and overall, I like that. It's one of the reasons I moved here. These political signs are the most obnoxious, trashy pieces of ticky-tack around. If I put up a sign like that for anything other than political reasons, I'd be getting a visit from local LE, as it should be. What makes a an advert for a candidate any more worthy of 'free speech" than an advert for a business?

Just like the Do-Not-Call list, politicians get away with anything. I'm tired of people hiding behind "free speech". That's baloney. I'll "free speech" them with a bull horn at 3AM, and we'll see how much of a "free speech" fan they are. Suddenly, we will learn that "free speech" has limits!

For me? First year in maybe 30 years without a sign.

Martha, please don't take this personally, as we all know you to be an intelligent, caring person - but in general, I have to question the intelligence of people who put out a yard sign (like the single obnoxious neighbor in our area). Like I'm supposed to be swayed in any way by a name in bright red or blue letters (see T-Al's sarcasm on this)? Like the article Gumby linked - just a name, no message, no context. If they have money to waste on signs with no message, that tells me something. If they are trying to attract voters who are too stupid/lazy to get to the issues, and are counting on "ummm, I'm in the voting booth, I saw that name on a sign, I guess I'll check that box, yeseree", then that is the person I do NOT want to vote for. It's pandering to idiots.

We need to get that messenger out - yard signs are a negative factor in an election - maybe that will decrease them.

-ERD50

I think anyone should be able to put a sign of any kind on their private property. However, I never have and never will. I don't see the point. It seems unlikely a sign with just a name on it would influence anyone.

I'd be happy to put a sign on my lawn .... if I was paid for it (it would also help if I actually had a lawn).

None in my yard, but dozens in my garage. The metal frames make great wickets for beach ball croquet. >:D I also use them to prop up my tomatos and bean plants, and for low climbing vines. I am a great fan of the democratic process. :D

Martha, please don't take this personally, as we all know you to be an intelligent, caring person - but in general, I have to question the intelligence of people who put out a yard sign (like the single obnoxious neighbor in our area). Like I'm supposed to be swayed in any way by a name in bright red or blue letters (see T-Al's sarcasm on this)? Like the article Gumby linked - just a name, no message, no context. If they have money to waste on signs with no message, that tells me something. If they are trying to attract voters who are too stupid/lazy to get to the issues, and are counting on "ummm, I'm in the voting booth, I saw that name on a sign, I guess I'll check that box, yeseree", then that is the person I do NOT want to vote for. It's pandering to idiots.

We need to get that messenger out - yard signs are a negative factor in an election - maybe that will decrease them.

-ERD50

I understand. Where I lived lawn signs were popular and it was a way of saying out loud what your position was. (from vote yes or no on the school levy to the name of a candidate). A way of saying that I am willing to discuss politics. A way of exhibiting solidarity with neighbors who also put up signs. If a sign vandal moves through the neighborhood I used to go and pick up everyone's signs, no matter the party, and put them back in place. In my last urban neighborhood I can only think of one place on our block that didn't have a sign. I never paid for a lawn sign, they were always free from the campaign. (Though of course someone paid for them.) But I think that if I was in your neighborhood or Audrey's neighborhood I probably wouldn't put up a sign as it isn't the culture.

So, I guess that I am saying that it is about me and my neighbors, not about the undecided voter. I think that it is a possibility that signs in our neighborhood anyway helped get out the vote and helped excite people about an election.

I have never had a yard sign, but that does not mean I would never put one out. I agree with Martha, (may be a first:) ) If there is a subj ect or person I feel that strong about I might want to put that sign up just to let the neighbors know I support it.

Politics in America has a some what herd instinct to it. We tend to jump on the band wagon and want to be on the winning team. In that respect, I could see if everyone in the neighborhood had a sign up it might easily influence the vote.

I have never had a yard sign, but that does not mean I would never put one out. I agree with Martha, (may be a first:) ) If there is a subj ect or person I feel that strong about I might want to put that sign up just to let the neighbors know I support it.

Politics in America has a some what herd instinct to it. We tend to jump on the band wagon and want to be on the winning team. In that respect, I could see if everyone in the neighborhood had a sign up it might easily influence the vote.

I am actually considering putting up a sign, the text being "Don't let your dog crap in my yard!"

Back
Top Bottom