Join Early Retirement Today

Electric Bike---my urban wheels
Old 01-19-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Electric Bike---my urban wheels

I got it on sale (less than 1,000$) It has a 30 mile range on one charge and goes 20/hr top speed. And you don't have to pay vehicle insurance as it is rated as a bike. I can go grocery shopping and use the basket. It's easy to find a parking spot downtown too! (and parking for bikes is free).
When I do retire I will get rid of my car. The amount on car maintenance and insurance pays for a lot of taxi rides.
Frugalityisthenewblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Watch out for drivers that will not acknowledge your existence on the roadway, and make sure you always wear a helmet!!
Old 01-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nice pair of wheels!

How long does it take for a charge up?
Old 01-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Looks like a great ride. What is the brand name and where did you buy it? Do/can you ride in the bike lane with it?
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Ebikes, Electric Bycicles, Electric motorcycles and Scooters in Canada | Daymak It's called the monaco. I have only driven it on city streets...the streets with light traffic. It charges up within 8 hours.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugalityisthenewblack View Post
Ebikes, Electric Bycicles, Electric motorcycles and Scooters in Canada | Daymak It's called the monaco. I have only driven it on city streets...the streets with light traffic.
Thank you!
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a friend whose visiting Canada for a while and she can also drive it legally even though she doesn't have a driver's license.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

How hard is it to pedal? Seems like it would be pretty heavy and therefore hard to pedal. Or do you just use the engine most of the time?
meekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:23 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I pedal it to assist the motor uphill. I use the motor on flat terrain. It's easy to pedal; but because it is much heavier than a regular bike you wouldn't want to have to go far. But if your battery died you can move it with only pedal-power. Slowly.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

The wife and I have electric bikes that actually look like bicycles, not a scooter.

We like them, a good mix between exercise and having assistance for big hills.

Hard to make an excuse to not bike when some of the work is done for you.
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post
The wife and I have electric bikes that actually look like bicycles, not a scooter.

We like them, a good mix between exercise and having assistance for big hills.

Hard to make an excuse to not bike when some of the work is done for you.
Dw and I had a couple of these type bikes when we were RVing. They were called mopeds.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:13 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36

Dw and I had a couple of these type bikes when we were RVing. They were called mopeds.
Really? I always pictured Mopeds more scooter like, like the picture the OP posted, as opposed to a bicycle, like this:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...EPTWiAKPx4zXCA
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I converted our tandem to electric assist. The power pack we designed was a 56 volt lithium Ion battery pack capable of range of 60 miles with pedal assist. Makes riding up hills as if you were riding flat road. You become very aware of energy usage when riding with assist. I think it cost us 20 cents per month to ride (400 miles/month). Second most cost efficient way to get around, regular bicycle being the most efficient.

Lots of information on electric bikes. Endless-sphere.com • Index page
DAYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post
Really? I always pictured Mopeds more scooter like, like the picture the OP posted, as opposed to a bicycle, like this:
electric bicycle - Google Search
The "mopeds" we had were more like a bicycle, with 20" wheels (?). This was back in 1982 so I don't remember much about them. I went back to the internet for some info and figured that ours were more of the 50cc type. I know you had to pedal it to get it started. They were not very heavy as I could easily pick one up and put it on a hanger for transporting on the back of the RV. I'd say they were 1978 vintage.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My ex-BIL had an electric assist hub on his bike. IIRC he replaced the front hub wiht a hub that had an electric motor and plugged into a rechargeable battery. The hub was helpful going uphill and otherwise he pedaled as normal. He used to to commute to work about 10 miles everyday.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote