Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-20-2015, 12:35 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Volts and Leafs are past 3 years since their nationwide distribution so there are a lot of 1 owner leased vehicles available. CarMax good source. Leaf has degradation issues with early batteries and heat. There is a dashboard graph for it. Volt recently had an owner that has gone over 250K miles. Remember if you drive the Volt most often on the battery then the gas engine (ICE) does not get that many miles on it. As well if you use regen braking (regular or max option) then you will really extend the life of your brake pads. 40-45 miles in nice weather in the Volt is easy by a lot of owners. Go past that and only then is when the ICE runs.

You can buy previous owned Teslas too. Tesla itself even has a site for those. Some owners with so much money they don't know what to do just upgrade everytime Tesla comes out with a new and faster model.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2015, 07:45 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Option - Just don't buy one! My stockbroker who has to have the lastest of everthing just purchased or leased a new BMW Electric, and it will only go about 180 miles and it cost almost 40,000.00
Tesla would be my choice.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:31 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

We had a Prius. At around 70k miles, it started to act... nuts. The computer did strange things. The battery would not get above 70% charge.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:02 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
A friend of mine has been driving a Volt for a few years, and has been very happy with it. I've been tempted to buy one so that I can drive in the carpool lanes in CA, but haven't found it compelling enough to go to the expense and hassle of selling my car and buying a new Volt. Yesterday we made plans for lunch and he drove to my house to pick me up. Except instead of showing up in his Volt, he showed up in a brand new Tesla Model S 85D.

I had no idea he was even looking for one, so I was quite surprised. He insisted I drive it to the restaurant. I really didn't want to, as the last thing I want to do is drive someones brand new $90K car and get into an accident. But since he insisted, I obliged.

OMG!

I was totally blown away. Not only was the performance absolutely insane, but the technology in this car is beyond anything I could have imagined. He kept showing me so many different tech features that my mind is a blur trying to remember which ones I was most impressed with. I had no idea the Tesla was so advanced and integrated with the internet, your smart phone, your schedule...And it comes pretty darn close to driving all by itself. And as for speed, the only thing I can compare it to is the feeling I get when I go to Disneyland and ride the California Screaming roller coaster when the ride begins and blasts off at full speed.

I had no interest in even considering a Tesla prior to yesterday. Now, I can't imagine ever wanting to replace my current vehicle with anything but a Tesla. I won't be rushing out to buy it any time soon, as there is nothing wrong with my car. But I seriously lost interest in every other vehicle out there after spending 20 minutes with this thing.

I know a $75-$100K+ car is not for everyone, but for people who love high tech, this car is absolutely mind boggling. And if you gave me a Mercedes S-Class or BMW 7 series, I could seriously care less. I've never been impressed with those cars. But the Tesla is a force to be reckoned with. I can only hope the mid priced model retains most of the excitement of this one when it comes out in a few years.
A salesperson brought a Tesla over to our house today for my wife & i to test drive. I was blown away by the acceleration of the car; it just accelerates very quickly with no drama (no wheelspin, or noise). The only thing I could compare it to was a SS396 Camaro or '69 Roadrunner.

The car felt very solid and I was surprised at how well it handled - similar to our IS300 but MUCH faster. Couldn't believe that you can adjust the steering feel, the rate of regenerative braking and many other things I've never thought about! Very seriously considering getting one.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:16 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Yes my Tesla test drive convinced me that I would get one if I ever had more money to burn on trivial things. BUT if I were a regular driver, and especially if my travels took me on their charging station routes, I would buy one in a flash.

From Vancouver, I can travel to San Diego and to Calgary without anything but free charging station stops. For a retired guy with time on his hands, this is nirvana.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:13 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

So now it sounds like you may be able to do that San Diego to Calgary drive while sleeping in the back seat. Elon is thinking self driving:

The Future is Almost Here - Tesla to Receive 'Autosteer' Update

I've been hunting a replacement for the 2000 BMW 528it sportwagon bought with 249,000miles 5 years ago. With 324,000 miles now it just feels like we are pushing our luck. Decided a new car with warranty was affordable and desirable, but just can't pull the trigger. Came close on a VW TDI sportwagen, but discovered it will not accept a hitch - the DSG transmission/engine software doesn't know how to deal with a trailer. Sister has a Forester, and it has decent ability to get up to 80 on the highway without effort, but the seats aren't comfortable. Mazda CX5 looks good and has decent bells and whistles and a nice interior - but no umph. New BMW prices get my heart beating really hard. Tesla? Well, pricex2 and it's not uncommon for us to do 400-500 mile trips. I'm reluctant to design a trip around electrical outlets. Good looking cars though, with the exception of the big monitor on the dash.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:08 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Yes my Tesla test drive convinced me that I would get one if I ever had more money to burn on trivial things. BUT if I were a regular driver, and especially if my travels took me on their charging station routes, I would buy one in a flash.

From Vancouver, I can travel to San Diego and to Calgary without anything but free charging station stops. For a retired guy with time on his hands, this is nirvana.
I would also like to get a Tesla. Would work well in Arizona and Canmore but our Toronto condo doesn't provide electricity in parking garage. Thinking maybe when they come out with their SUV.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:49 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

A disadvantage of living in the boonies: No supercharging stations anywhere nearby.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:48 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Thinking maybe when they come out with their SUV.
My buddy has a GL 320 Diesel but has his name on the list because he drives to Langley every day and Calgary once/twice a year. He loves to drive.