Join Early Retirement Today

electric fireplaces
Old 06-02-2007, 03:02 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

electric fireplaces

I know a strange subject for the summertime, does anyone use or have an electric fireplace? Are they any good?
runnerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2007, 08:45 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The electric company sure likes them. I looked at these a couple of times.

Plusses:

You can put them anywhere
Not that expensive
Easy to install
Take it with you when you move

Minuses

Dont throw much heat, no more than an oil filled electric radiator
"flame" looks kinda fake
Can be a bit of a fire hazard but certainly less than a regular fireplace
Really sucks down the electricity
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:59 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We put one in a game room we are building (still) primarily for decor vs heat although it kicks out a little. If you want a serious heater they have some hardwire types that throw quite a blast.
The flame in this model (Dimplex) has many variations and a remote. In the picture the flame is off, but the coals appear to be glowing. This type is actually quite convincing. Running only the flame is the equiv of a couple of light bulbs. The 1500 watt heater doubles that. No big deal, but no big heat either. We built it so we could switch to gas/propane if we are so inclined. We also plan to install electric baseboard heat in case we need an added boost.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 07:47 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I like the stone...what is it?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
We like our electric fireplace......
Old 06-02-2007, 08:49 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

We like our electric fireplace......

Runnerr, we have one and really like it. The flame looks real in the one we have and it comes with a remote control. We bought an old mantle from demolished home and boxed it in.
What I really like about it is that I don't have to chop and split firewood, don't have to bring in wood that is full of bugs, dirt etc.
In fact we will be moving ours next week to an opposite wall. Another benefit. Bottom line is that we are really pleased with the purchase and have enjoyed it so far.
dessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:25 AM   #6

We bought one last year for our sunroom, gets a little chilly on really cold days. We use a small electric heater to take the chill off so buying an electric fireplace fit the bill. We purchased the one that looks like a stand alone cast iron stove and love it. We host Xmass eve with family and friends, they all thought we'd installed a real stove until they took a really close look. The room is only 14 X 14 so it doesn't take much to bring up the temp.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I like the stone...what is it?
It's actually an Italian tile. Not quite the design we wanted due to a major fiasco with the tile company which impacted the fireplace and bathroom.
Bottom line: If you are using exotic tile make sure the seller gives you the right amount and has a reasonable backup supply should you need more.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:40 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

An already well known line of thought...I'm redoing both of my fireplaces with a really nice marble tile, and I bought about twice as much of it as i'm going to need...just in case.

Fortunately it didnt cost me much to overload...costco was dumping the stuff for $1.50 a tile.

I like that wood inlay in the floor between the carpet and the tile...is that purely decorative or is it performing as a transition 'strip'...in other words, are the carpet and tile butted to it or was the wood routed to overlay the edge of the carpet and tile...?

Crap, now I have something else to do... :P
Old 06-03-2007, 05:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post

I like that wood inlay in the floor between the carpet and the tile...is that purely decorative or is it performing as a transition 'strip'...in other words, are the carpet and tile butted to it or was the wood routed to overlay the edge of the carpet and tile...?

:P
The wood is actually tile. The bigger tile places have some that cannot be told from wood. When I first saw it in the store I had to get down and give it the -tap-tap- test. The darker stuff is the most convincing. This is a rustic/rough wood look, they have not mastered the smooth shiney look yet.
I have only seen it in the narrow strips, so its use is really limited to accent strips or dividers.
If you are doing a bath/shower, I can give you some tile tips (horror stories) for that project also,
Old 06-03-2007, 06:14 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Ah, the "wood look tile"...tough to tell in a photo.

I just did a major bath/tile renovation...real major.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:51 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
The flame in this model (Dimplex) has many variations and a remote. In the picture the flame is off, but the coals appear to be glowing. This type is actually quite convincing.
I agree, I looked at one of Dimplex's newest models today and was impressed on how much it looked like the real thing. Pretty neat!
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote