Elephants live longer outside the cage

that might depend upon the nature of the animal and the design of the enclosure. for social animals who require great areas to roam, then perhaps a smaller enclosure might reduce longevity. but for animals who tend to be loners in the wild, then perhaps captivity might increase longevity, especially in times of illness or advanced age, when in the wild they'd have no group to protect them, nor to dial 911.

i suppose the only creatures on the planet who are not cubed into enclosures are astronauts, but even they remain tethered to their spaceships.

astronauts? I can't imagine anything more claustrophobic.

Lazy, maybe you should watch "Jeremiah Johnson". :)

--
I seem to remember reading something about how ceiling height affected perception: lower ceilings => more precision and analytical attention to detail; higher ceilings => more flights of fancy and expansive thinking.. something like that. I sure know that I do feel cognitively 'lost' in my high-ceilinged Italian house compared to my low-ceilinged NE homes, but it's hard to separate out other factors from that. OTOH when I am out and about I definitely notice the different feeling I have living now in a small hilly area with no view of any real horizon, versus the relative plains/oceans I was used to.

cube world...OMG
now that i am out of the cage, i wonder how i ever stood it? about 1 year before i FIREd, our building was being remodelled. people were moved around like checkers on a board, often crowded together like lab rats. :eek:

astronauts? I can't imagine anything more claustrophobic.

Lazy, maybe you should watch "Jeremiah Johnson". :)

--
I seem to remember reading something about how ceiling height affected perception: lower ceilings => more precision and analytical attention to detail; higher ceilings => more flights of fancy and expansive thinking.. something like that. I sure know that I do feel cognitively 'lost' in my high-ceilinged Italian house compared to my low-ceilinged NE homes, but it's hard to separate out other factors from that. OTOH when I am out and about I definitely notice the different feeling I have living now in a small hilly area with no view of any real horizon, versus the relative plains/oceans I was used to.

reference, of course, was escaping the confines of our planet, not of their rocketship. and i didn't even get all esoteric on yas and start discussing escaping truer confines with out of body experiences.

sorry but not familiar with jeremiah. a perusal of wiki shows something about skinning the kill and eating liver. i guess that would be an out of tofu experience.

interesting observation on architecture affecting perception. the antithesis being that large spaces, such as great halls, civic works, cathedrals and the like intimidate and make a person feel small, putting them in their place better than any cubical ever could.

i also get different feelings based upon landscape. when i am out in the everglades, bike riding on a berm about 15 feet above sea level, i find the constant horizon, visible forever, and the grasses and water between that and me to be completely calming that my pulse almost stops. yet when i take in the view from a mountain, i am exhilerated, at times my heart racing.

i find the constant horizon, visible forever, and the grasses and water between that and me to be completely calming that my pulse almost stops.
Me too, although I am not so often in places like that anymore.. it's probably evolutionary: you have a better chance of staying alive when you can see all around you. No need to worry about what peril might be around the corner or over the hill.

Me too, although I am not so often in places like that anymore.. it's probably evolutionary: you have a better chance of staying alive when you can see all around you. No need to worry about what peril might be around the corner or over the hill.
or what nutcase manager might poke their head around the cube wall and say "i need this NOW", or "come to my office, we need to talk." :eek:

meanwhile, a crocodile sneaks up on you...:D

Back
Top Bottom