Join Early Retirement Today

Eliminate the dog's fleas with sage?????
Old 03-26-2008, 08:40 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Eliminate the dog's fleas with sage?????

I read this in a book last night: you can eliminate your dog's fleas by putting a small amount of sage in his food. The amount was not mentioned, but I am guessing they mean about 1 tsp. per half can, which is what we feed the 15 lb. miniature poodle that is here.
Has anyone tried this sage method to eliminate fleas? Does it work?
Or does anyone have another home remedy that works on the dog better than this?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2008, 09:12 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've had a lot of experience trying out "natural" insect control products, from using various herbs/garlic/etc with everything from horses to cats.

Pretty much a no-go.

I havent found anything other than a permethrin based shampoo and rug spray or the usual advantage/revolution products to be effective in controlling fleas in a dog that ever goes outside.

By the way, if your dog never goes outside, you're going to have a different problem.

Even the OTC permethrin products are sort of iffy if you dont apply by the directions and stay on top of the situation.

I'm a big fan of Revolution. Even small doses are effective, its almost impossible to overdose, works on most animals including dogs and cats, and kills all parasites (including heartworm) in smaller animals like small dogs and cats, and everything except large intestinal parasites (round/hookworm) in larger animals.

After having our dogs brand name heartworm chews recalled twice for problems with tainted meat product ingredients, we just stick with the Revolution now for complete control.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:38 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I read this in a book last night: you can eliminate your dog's fleas by putting a small amount of sage in his food. The amount was not mentioned, but I am guessing they mean about 1 tsp. per half can, which is what we feed the 15 lb. miniature poodle that is here.
Has anyone tried this sage method to eliminate fleas? Does it work?
Or does anyone have another home remedy that works on the dog better than this?
Sage in the dog's food will absolutely work. to give it fresher breath. Dog breath - Feh! Have a bad attitude cat here that would be pleased to peel the fleas right off of a miniature poodle. I'm kiddding! (except about our cat, who has an abiding hatred for animals other than himself or humans). Dunno about sage.

Concur on Revolution, which we use on the cats as it knocks out fleas and controls earmites better than anything else we've tried.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:39 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, Revolution it is then. I "think" they sell it at Walmart? Anyway, that's where I'm headed now. Doggie has one flea, and my 89 y.o. mother acts like he's dying...such drama!
Old 03-26-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Well, Revolution it is then. I "think" they sell it at Walmart? Anyway, that's where I'm headed now. Doggie has one flea, and my 89 y.o. mother acts like he's dying...such drama!
Don't know about Wallymart, i buy via the interweb from WWW.Petshed.com because they are the cheapest i found. Based in Australia and they get it to me on the left coast in well under a week. No problems after 3-4 orders over a several year period.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:08 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Sage advice?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:12 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

We're using Frontline and are satisfied. It's best to get a handle on the problem before it becomes an infestation. I'll have to look into this Revolution. We tried a few natural remedies and none worked.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:56 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

In the early 70s a favorite hippie remedy and preventive for fleas was some kind of seed or something that fell out of eucalyptus trees up in the hills behind Berkeley. Smelled really nice, but did nothing that I ever noticed to fleas.

Hippie Chicks made a necklace out of them, and hung it around the dog's neck.

Right now I am wearing one of those Phiten necklaces, supposed to help my back. Nice Japanese woman with beautiful hands wove two red and black ones together for me. It looks really cool, but as best I can tell it does zippo for my back pain.

Ha
Old 03-26-2008, 08:30 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, you wont get Revolution at walmart, its a prescription drug. Like Calmloki says, some of these can be had from the Aussie web sites like Petshed. I think its about $50 for a three month dose for a good size dog and a bit less for small dogs and cats. I couldnt get it from the local vet for less than that, so I ordered from them, got it in less than a week.

Difference between this and Advantage is that revolution kills more than fleas and ticks, its much harder to OD on revolution than advantage (10x vs 2x) and revolutions maker doesnt subsidize vets to sell the product

Advantage is a good product though, if fleas and ticks are your only problem, you have a good relationship with your vet and you get the dosage right. I'm pretty happy about treating for mange, ear mites, heartworm and other small parasites all at the same time for about the same price with minimal downsides.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:31 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

My roommate has a great LYBM tip. She buys great dane size advantage doses (a few bucks more). Takes a syringe (she is a nurse) and applies the Advantage that way. I think she gets 3-4 doses per packet.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote