Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 06:35 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
bbbamI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas 'burb
Posts: 9,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-One View Post
unfortunately, the crazy group westboro baptist assholes are planning to protest, there is a local grass roots effort to crowd them out along the funeral procession - i'll be there as part of the grass roots effort
Unfortunately I'm aware of this group too.

I'm proud of you F-One.
__________________

__________________
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-One View Post
unfortunately, the crazy group westboro baptist assholes are planning to protest, there is a local grass roots effort to crowd them out along the funeral procession - i'll be there as part of the grass roots effort
I thought the god worshiped by these nutcases was mad at the US and killed soldiers because we haven't responded strongly enough to homosexuality. Is He now causing women to have cancer, too?

I wonder if these jerks fly to their little hauntings. TSA could instantly redeem themselves with the American people if they assured each one got a thorough "pat-up" inspection every time they tried to board a plane. So sure of what He wants and their imminent great reward, they are a greater security risk than some guy wearing a dishdasha.
__________________

__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
Martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: minnesota
Posts: 13,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I thought the god worshiped by these nutcases was mad at the US and killed soldiers because we haven't responded strongly enough to homosexuality. Is He now causing women to have cancer, too?
Elizabeth Edwards also worked for gay rights including the right to marry. I imagine that is why her funeral is attracting these nutjobs.
__________________
.


No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:19 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 116
I wish the press would just stop reporting on these lunatics. It's sort of like the guy who was going to burn the Koran on 911.

In both cases the groups most likely have tiny fringe following yet enjoy world-wide publicity because of their inflammatory tactics.
__________________
FreqFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:00 PM   #25
Administrator
Janet H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 4,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Elizabeth Edwards also worked for gay rights including the right to marry. I imagine that is why her funeral is attracting these nutjobs.

I cannot bring myself to drop in a link to their website but the press release makes references to her choice to undergo fertility treatments as 'meddling in matters of the womb' among the reasons for the picket. They also recommend to her estranged husband that he burn her writings to her children. Nauseating.
__________________
E-R.org Custom Google Search | You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. (Robin Williams)
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:47 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Leonidas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Where the stars at night are big and bright
Posts: 2,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I wonder if these jerks fly to their little hauntings. TSA could instantly redeem themselves with the American people if they assured each one got a thorough "pat-up" inspection every time they tried to board a plane.
They drive to wherever they are going to do their ghoulish thing. There was a recent story about their van suffering a flat tire and the cops followed them from tire place to tire place where they were refused service. It took AAA from out of town to get them on the road again.
__________________
There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is having lots to do and not doing it. - Andrew Jackson
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:49 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-One View Post
unfortunately, the crazy group westboro baptist assholes are planning to protest, there is a local grass roots effort to crowd them out along the funeral procession - i'll be there as part of the grass roots effort
Good Luck!

This video shows the response of one of the high schools near me to this group.

__________________
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:20 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
In the old days there would have been no conflict. The idiots could have their 1st amendment rights, and the rest of us could beat the crap out of them, and the police could be busy in another part of town.

Problem over.

Ha
I find this attitude disturbing. As much as I despise this particular group, when you start letting the police decide when to turn a blind eye as people are beaten up, you are on a slippery slope. I think most of us here are old enough to remember when the police turned a blind eye as someone of color or with long hair "deserved" to be beaten or worse. It's all great until the target is you.
__________________
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
They drive to wherever they are going to do their ghoulish thing. There was a recent story about their van suffering a flat tire and the cops followed them from tire place to tire place where they were refused service. It took AAA from out of town to get them on the road again.
Perfect.
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #30
gone traveling
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I find this attitude disturbing. As much as I despise this particular group, when you start letting the police decide when to turn a blind eye as people are beaten up, you are on a slippery slope. I think most of us here are old enough to remember when the police turned a blind eye as someone of color or with long hair "deserved" to be beaten or worse. It's all great until the target is you.
So you'd have no problem welcoming the Westboro Baptist Church to protest at a funeral of a loved one or close family member?
__________________
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I find this attitude disturbing. As much as I despise this particular group, when you start letting the police decide when to turn a blind eye as people are beaten up, you are on a slippery slope. I think most of us here are old enough to remember when the police turned a blind eye as someone of color or with long hair "deserved" to be beaten or worse. It's all great until the target is you.
Actually, this exact thing happened in Seattle few years ago, though with races reversed, which within today's rules makes it more difficult to discuss. The police looked away during a Mardi Gras Celebration while a young white man was beaten to death by those not white. The then police chief somehow felt it was too hot to handle so in spite of being on the scene in force, the police held back.

Seattle Mardi Gras Riots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________

__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shook Hands with John Edwards This noon............... Cut-Throat Life after FIRE 114 08-19-2006 04:19 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:26 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.