Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-09-2010, 06:35 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-One View Post
unfortunately, the crazy group westboro baptist assholes are planning to protest, there is a local grass roots effort to crowd them out along the funeral procession - i'll be there as part of the grass roots effort
Unfortunately I'm aware of this group too.

I'm proud of you F-One.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
unfortunately, the crazy group westboro baptist assholes are planning to protest, there is a local grass roots effort to crowd them out along the funeral procession - i'll be there as part of the grass roots effort
I thought the god worshiped by these nutcases was mad at the US and killed soldiers because we haven't responded strongly enough to homosexuality. Is He now causing women to have cancer, too?

I wonder if these jerks fly to their little hauntings. TSA could instantly redeem themselves with the American people if they assured each one got a thorough "pat-up" inspection every time they tried to board a plane. So sure of what He wants and their imminent great reward, they are a greater security risk than some guy wearing a dishdasha.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I thought the god worshiped by these nutcases was mad at the US and killed soldiers because we haven't responded strongly enough to homosexuality. Is He now causing women to have cancer, too?
Elizabeth Edwards also worked for gay rights including the right to marry. I imagine that is why her funeral is attracting these nutjobs.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:19 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I wish the press would just stop reporting on these lunatics. It's sort of like the guy who was going to burn the Koran on 911.

In both cases the groups most likely have tiny fringe following yet enjoy world-wide publicity because of their inflammatory tactics.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:00 PM   #25
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Elizabeth Edwards also worked for gay rights including the right to marry. I imagine that is why her funeral is attracting these nutjobs.

I cannot bring myself to drop in a link to their website but the press release makes references to her choice to undergo fertility treatments as 'meddling in matters of the womb' among the reasons for the picket. They also recommend to her estranged husband that he burn her writings to her children. Nauseating.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:47 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I wonder if these jerks fly to their little hauntings. TSA could instantly redeem themselves with the American people if they assured each one got a thorough "pat-up" inspection every time they tried to board a plane.
They drive to wherever they are going to do their ghoulish thing. There was a recent story about their van suffering a flat tire and the cops followed them from tire place to tire place where they were refused service. It took AAA from out of town to get them on the road again.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:49 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Good Luck!

This video shows the response of one of the high schools near me to this group.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:20 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
In the old days there would have been no conflict. The idiots could have their 1st amendment rights, and the rest of us could beat the crap out of them, and the police could be busy in another part of town.

Problem over.

Ha
I find this attitude disturbing. As much as I despise this particular group, when you start letting the police decide when to turn a blind eye as people are beaten up, you are on a slippery slope. I think most of us here are old enough to remember when the police turned a blind eye as someone of color or with long hair "deserved" to be beaten or worse. It's all great until the target is you.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
They drive to wherever they are going to do their ghoulish thing. There was a recent story about their van suffering a flat tire and the cops followed them from tire place to tire place where they were refused service. It took AAA from out of town to get them on the road again.
Perfect.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #30
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I find this attitude disturbing. As much as I despise this particular group, when you start letting the police decide when to turn a blind eye as people are beaten up, you are on a slippery slope. I think most of us here are old enough to remember when the police turned a blind eye as someone of color or with long hair "deserved" to be beaten or worse. It's all great until the target is you.
So you'd have no problem welcoming the Westboro Baptist Church to protest at a funeral of a loved one or close family member?
Old 12-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Actually, this exact thing happened in Seattle few years ago, though with races reversed, which within today's rules makes it more difficult to discuss. The police looked away during a Mardi Gras Celebration while a young white man was beaten to death by those not white. The then police chief somehow felt it was too hot to handle so in spite of being on the scene in force, the police held back.

Seattle Mardi Gras Riots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia