Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Elizabeth Taylor passed away...
Old 03-23-2011, 09:32 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Elizabeth Taylor passed away...

LOS ANGELES - Screen legend Elizabeth Taylor, the violet-eyed film goddess whose sultry screen life was often upstaged by her stormy personal life, died Wednesday at age 79.

Film legend Elizabeth Taylor dies at 79 (AP) - Yahoo! Movies

IMO, the most beautfiful woman that ever lived.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

What really shocked me is that she was only 79. I'm sure she had the best medical care, too.

I loved her movies. She was a beautiful women and did a lot for AIDs research. From the article,
Quote:
Taylor had extraordinary grace, fame and wealth, and won three Oscars, including a special one for her humanitarian work.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
What really shocked me is that she was only 79. I'm sure she had the best medical care, too.

I loved her movies. She was a beautiful women and did a lot for AIDs research. From the article,
Maybe those are Hollywood actress years. Those have fourteen 30 days months/year.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I agree. I don't think her beauty (when she was young of course) could be matched to this day.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I agree. I don't think her beauty (when she was young of course) could be matched to this day.
If she came along today, she would likely be considered too fat and rejected. Same with marilyn Monroe I think.

Ha
Old 03-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I, too, thought she was older than 79. She started working as a child so she had a pretty long career and packed a lot of livin' in from start to finish.
My favorite LT movies were National Velvet and Suddenly, Last Summer.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:47 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
What really shocked me is that she was only 79.

Hard living?
Old 03-23-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Hard living?
I suppose. (sigh) That seems to be so common with Hollywood stars. She was a beautiful flower and seemed to be a very sweet person.

It's sad that she died so young, not so long after her friend, Michael Jackson.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
If she came along today, she would likely be considered too fat and rejected. Same with marilyn Monroe I think.

Ha
I don't see how anyone thinks these "sticks" with their bones poking through skin are sexy and look good. Without the makeup and clothes, I think they would make a good commercial for feeding the poor and starving in Bangladesh. I think someone has really gone overboard
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I suppose. (sigh) That seems to be so common with Hollywood stars. She was a beautiful flower and seemed to be a very sweet person.

It's sad that she died so young, not so long after her friend, Michael Jackson.
I don't quite get this "so young" part.

Final data for 2003 (the most recent
available) show that life expectancy at birth for the total population has reached an
all-time American high level, 77.5 years, up from 49.2 years at the turn of the 20th
century. Record-high life expectancies were found for white females (80.5 years) and
black females (76.1 years), as well as for white males (75.3 years) and black males
(69.0 years). Life expectancy gaps between males and females and between whites
and blacks persisted.

So perhaps a few months have been added since 2003, but it appears that she outlived the average US white male by 4 years or so, and died only a few short months earlier than the white female average.

Ha
Old 03-23-2011, 06:35 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I don't follow life of celebrities to know how Liz Taylor had been living "hard". But this is surely another case of having more money not adding to one's longevity. I remember that Malcolm Forbes, a friend of hers, died at the age of 71 despite being a billionaire.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:36 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't quite get this "so young" part.
I guess it just goes to show one that all the wealth, and luxuries, and the finest medical care that money can buy, apparently does not result in a longer expected lifespan than that of anyone else.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I guess it just goes to show one that all the wealth, and luxuries, and the finest medical care that money can buy, apparently does not result in a longer expected lifespan than that of anyone else.
All those years of addiction to painkillers and sleeping pills can't have helped either.

Not for her or for her friend Michael Jackson...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
All those years of addiction to painkillers and sleeping pills can't have helped either.

Not for her or for her friend Michael Jackson...
I keep forgetting that part. What a friendship. They had all that addiction in common, and plastic surgery too.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I keep forgetting that part. What a friendship. They had all that addiction in common, and plastic surgery too.
She was likely only slightly less disturbed than Jacko.
Ha
Old 03-23-2011, 08:40 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I don't drink or take drugs, I'm pretty happy, I haven't had any plastic surgery, and also I never knew Michael Jackson. So maybe in a sense I have it better than Elizabeth Taylor.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ha
Why, if the fat is in all the right places?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:15 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

DH was a long time fan of Elizabeth Taylor. She was pretty fragile healthwise: per ABC News, "The actress' past health setbacks included a fall from a horse during one of her early film shoots, bouts with pneumonia and skin cancer, a tracheotomy, treatment for alcohol and painkiller addictions, and lung, hip, brain and heart surgeries. She had anywhere from 30 to 40 surgeries, according to biographers." So living til 79 was an accomplishment for her.

She was also an outspoken advocate for AIDS and HIV research before celebrity charities were fashionable:

Quote:
In 1985, when the government had done little to educate people about the disease and nurses were afraid to deliver food trays to AIDS patients in hospitals, Taylor, along with a group of physicians, helped establish the American Foundation for AIDS Research (amfAR).
.... "It wasn't just as if she took the risk of attaching her celebrity status to a cause. She picked the most controversial cause at the time. But she was like, 'I have friends who are dying and I have to do something, and what I can do is help raise money and help raise awareness.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/23/elizabeth-taylor-aids-advocate_n_839853.html
"
I think if she were a young actress today her beauty would still be recognized.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:36 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
DH was a long time fan of Elizabeth Taylor. She was pretty fragile healthwise: per ABC News, "The actress' past health setbacks included a fall from a horse during one of her early film shoots, bouts with pneumonia and skin cancer, a tracheotomy, treatment for alcohol and painkiller addictions, and lung, hip, brain and heart surgeries. She had anywhere from 30 to 40 surgeries, according to biographers." So living til 79 was an accomplishment for her.

She was also an outspoken advocate for AIDS and HIV research before celebrity charities were fashionable:

I think if she were a young actress today her beauty would still be recognized.
Certainly by me. But if you look at the iconic actresses of the 50s and 60-70s, and then look at the Oscar Red Carpet shots of today, it is amazing how thin people seem to want their glamour girls now.

Very funny when the mean and median women (and men) are getting fatter and fatter.

Theater full of fat people watching semi-anorectic actresses perform.

Ha
Old 03-24-2011, 08:24 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I hate to say this folks, but all of you talking about how young Taylor was when she died may not realize that a person born when she was born, even discounting infant mortality, has a life expectancy shorter than 79 years.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote