Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-28-2016, 09:07 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGal View Post

And here I had been bragging about seeing some......
So now you understand why your friends just smiled and nodded, but didn't say anything
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2016, 09:30 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

As the OP, I am taking in all of these great opinions and information. I will admit that nothing has changed. Yet.

I hope to be able to report progress, when and if it occurs.

Thanks everybody for your thoughts.
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:54 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My $0.02:

Try for once a week. 2 hours max. So it doesn't feel like all day. Everyone tackles the same room. All at once. Wear rubber gloves. Years ago we bought 3 or 4 round open plastic tubs. They make great trash containers. They're light, portable, big and open.

Put on some music while cleaning. It helps drown out thinking too hard.

Start with kitchen and bathrooms. Your health depends on it. When you get down to a surface, really wipe it clean. Wear gloves to protect your hands. For sanitizing, try tangerine or orange scented non-aerosol products. They smell fantastic. One of the best parts of a clean house is the way it smells.

Once the 2 hours are up, get rid of the stuff you cleaned out. Immediately. To the trash, recycle plastic bags, whatever.

I just started this with my family, DH and DS. Last week in fact. Our bedroom has 1/10 the clutter it did a week ago. We decluttered Thursday then dusted, vacuumed, and cleaned bathrooms Friday.

Another key element is no blaming allowed. Just feel good that you are doing something.

It isn't just going to happen. You have to make it happen.

One last idea: years ago DH bought a set of plastic containers for the kitchen. Since then all other plastic tubs that products come in go to recycling when empty. Also use reusable grocery bags. These two things really help control kitchen clutter.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:52 AM   #64
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Wow, really ?
You don't have garbage pick up ?

Here we throw out anything metal (old desk chair) and it's gone in 2 hours.
I threw out an above ground swimming pool, took it apart, put the liner in garbage bags for trash.
The metal I rolled up and it was gone in 1 hour (probably worth $60 to the guy who picked it up).

I suppose I understand the first time, but surely the second time the amounts are small.
The cost is based on how much they pick up and they will give you a price before they start. I had an entire truck load the first time.
PamInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:55 PM   #65
gone traveling

For DM - We spent 3 days collecting or setting aside her real keepsakes - then had an estate sale company come in and sell sell sell ... Was all done start to finish in about 2 weeks.

What a liberating feeling. And we got her some cash for stuff that she never would have used in the new place

I can not recommend estate sale process enough. It was super efficient and took the emotion out of getting rid of all the stuff.

MIL and FIL moving soon. Likely to do the same ...
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:50 AM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

Unfortunately almost everyone has missed the point here. The issue isnt the stuff that has accumulated...its the mental disorder of why they cant get rid of the stuff. That has to be tackled first. There is no point in throwing anything away without first addressing why the hoarding is happening in the first place.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:04 AM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't think anyone missed the point, the OP asked for help, saying things had gotten so out of hand that not only do they not have people over, they would be afraid to let a repairman into her home.

Asking is the first step,people have suggested some "baby steps". The OP said they are thinking things over and hoping to make some progress soon. The first step is always the hardest....counseling takes time, money and commitment.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote