Join Early Retirement Today

Emergency Preparation
Old 04-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Emergency Preparation

One of the items on my doo-doo list for this year is to create and implement an emergency plan. Now, given that I can afford a compound in the boonies and complete self-sufficiency, I'm thinking more about disruptions of a few days to a few weeks.

Examples: a months worth of food and water, 2-3 spare propane tanks, fair amount of cash on hand, maybe a nat gas generator, extra shotgun shells...

Anyone else have a plan like this, and how are you implementing it?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

We keep a couple dozen MREs, another few weeks worth of food, a water filter (live near a lake), first aid kits, etc. around. We also leave enough stuff in the camper even in winter that we could boogie out of town in it and be OK for a few days.

Eventually, I will put a little cash into a more extensive and organized prep setup. High on the list would be a firearm or two, more food, and water storage.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

No plan yet, but have put the same on the "to do list". Nuclear disasters, floods, tornadoes, does make one think. We are thinking (perhaps naively) that 2 weeks of supplies. Though we in MN have the added thought of no heat in subzero temperatures- and are considering a generator for that reason. We think we could make do with the BBQ otherwise.
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nope. My best idea so far has been to buy some survival books so you can think about it when it's actually needed. And all my computer data is backed up locally and online.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:45 AM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

A few years ago when Florida was hit by several hurricanes we purchased a generator . I also have a fireproof box with all my important papers and pictures in it .We also purchased large plastic bins that can be packed quickly if we need to evacuate .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

There are people that are buying spots in bunkers in prep for the 2012 end of the world, and there are people with zero emergency prep. We are in between.
We have working flashlights with back up batteries, battery radio that has a crank feature and lots of blankets and wood for the fireplace. Keep in mind that although it would not be pleasant, it wasn't that long ago that central heating was a rarity in a house.
All of our documents and photos are scanned and on disc in a safe in the house and in safety deposit box so we could get them within a few days. We keep $25 in each auto and over $1000 in the safe, in small bills. We keep our cars at least half full of gas, and each car has some extra socks, shoes, t-shirts, sweatshirts and undergarments, water, some food etc. so we can evacuate.

If we were able to stay in the house we have a gas grill, coleman grill and charcoal grill so we could heat stuff up. We have a generator with 10 gallons of gas at all times minimum in storage that we rotate plus what we have in the cars. We have some bottles of water and juices etc so and have enough food that we won't starve and we can make coffee.

If we were stranded her for more than two or three weeks things would start getting so dire that you need more than a shotgun to help you.

We tried to figure out what the most likely scenarios were for us to have to deal with and slowly started to prepare for them. For us it is loss of power due to an ice storm, train derailing, nuclear power plant problem (less than 20 miles away), and of course tornadoes, earthquakes and floods which are not common here but not unheard of either. when we had a microburst one year and loss power in this area people were lined up for miles at a burger king that had power, the stores were stripped clean of food and water and people drove all over looking for ice and gas. It was crazy.
52andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:04 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I've found that the biggest problem with a plan is not implementing it, but keeping the stuff up to date. That is, the food goes out of date, the batteries die, the water goes bad, etc.

Long lasting emergency food and flashlights/radios with hand-operated generators help.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:04 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post

Anyone else have a plan like this, and how are you implementing it?
I'm just going with extra shotgun shells and building a list of folks who are well prepared for emergencies.

So far:
- HFWR
- brewer12345
- 52andout
Old 04-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

The primary plan is to drive/hike to an area that has not been impacted by the disaster. Leaving everything behind is not a problem. We have the money to rebuild our lives elsewhere. We have hiking/camping equipment as well as cash/silver coins to help us make it out of the disaster area on foot if needed.

If bugging out is not an option. We have enough food, water, firewood and propane to hunker down at home for 4-6 weeks.

No guns and no ammo yet, but I want to change that.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:32 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
One of the items on my doo-doo list for this year is to create and implement an emergency plan.
Be sure to have plenty of terlet paper...

Right now I have a gun, ammo and cash.

I need to get some water and packaged food. Of course I've been saying this for years and have never got that round to it button. If I had kids, that would be a different story.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Hmmmm...here is my assessment of risk from disasters, natural or mad-made.
Floods and hurricanes are not an issue in the immediate area where I live. Tornadoes are very rare, and not significant if they happen, but microbursts have occurred. I am not in an active earthquake zone by any means. Nearest nuclear plant is in Oswego NY, next closest is Indian Point on the lower Hudson River. I am far enough away from major urban centers to be reasonably safe from looters. Most local folks are armed (hunters).
My biggest risk is an extended power loss, especially in cold weather. We tend to get more snow than ice at this latitude.

Food and Liquids: I have canned goods and dry goods up the wazoo, bottled beverages of all types (soda, beer, hard lemonade, wine). My freezer has a lot of precooked food in it. It rains/snows enough here to collect rainwater/snow to melt if necessary or prudent to do so. I could quickly put together a collection system using spare plastic tubing, duct tape, and clean plastic containers that I have on hand. I have bleach for sanitizing.
Update: There is a small lake within 3 miles of my house and the water suplly reservoirs (2) are within walking distance.
Heat and Cooking: I have a gas grill with a spare LP gas tank, plus a tabletop Coleman camp stove with 2 burners and plenty of small gas cylinders. I have plenty of firewood for 2 fireplaces. I have a generator and spare gas in 5 and 2 gal containers, good for about 48 hours, maybe more, maybe less. I have a manual gas siphon if I needed to get more from my 3 cars.
Safety and First Aid: I have several first aid kits on hand and 2 fire extinguishers. I have a medical reference book on hand. I've had extensive CPR and first aid training from my previous employer.
Defense: I do not shoot guns. I have an antique shotgun on my mantle but no ammunition. It was cleaned in 2006 but never used. It would good for show
go ahead make my day if things ever got that serious. I have 2 dogs and a fully fenced yard with locked gates. I've had extensive anti-terrorist and self-defense training.
Money: I have plenty of cash on hand in a small size, lightweight fireproof safe. I also keep my important papers in that small safe. Grab and go is the idea.
Transportation: I have 3 vehicles (one 4WD) and a bicycle.

This was a good exercise for me to go through. NY had a horrible ice storm just to the north of me several years ago. I did an initial disaster survival plan back then, but it is always good to review.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:35 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Basic supplies already on the RV and we keep it full of fuel. Always have to be a bit prepared in case of hurricanes around these parts. I love looking through that Emergency Essentials catalog but never succumb to my desire to purchase a massive supply of freeze-dried food, much as I want to!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:43 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I learned a lot about emergency preparedness the hard way after Hurricane Katrina. So, the following has been "ground truthed", so to speak.

During hurricane season (June through November), I keep my freezer completely empty, and before evacuating I empty the rest of the refrigerator into ice chests that go with me. I lost my last refrigerator to Hurricane Katrina, and I am determined to never lose another that way. We usually have to evacuate at least once or twice each year.

I keep extra water and canned goods during hurricane season, and then consume them during the rest of the year so that each year my "stash" is fresh.

When there is a storm in the Gulf, I keep my gas tank topped off, my oil changed, and my vehicle in tip-top condition. I carry a road atlas and maps in my car at all times. Normally I carry more cash than most of you, and when there is a storm in the Gulf I carry an extra $300+ in cash. When there is a storm in the Gulf, I make sure my cell phone, Kindle, and other electronics are fully charged. I also check to see if I need refills for my prescriptions (which are at Walgreens so I can get more while away if needed, though I have never had to test this).

Hurricane evacuation is somewhat like leaving the hospital when in labor - - in that it is unexpected and a little scary and one's mind flys completely out the window at such times. So, during hurricane season I keep the things I want to take for an evacuation by the side door, just as I kept my hospital bag by the door during late pregnancy years ago. These things to take during evacuation include photos, tax records, files, and those things I missed most when we were watching TV in Huntsville, as Katrina devastated New Orleans. (I took only my laptop and a days' change of clothing that time, never again). I have a list of what to take on my computer desktop.

Before evacuating I remove all lawn furniture and anything loose from the back yard so that these items do not become projectiles. So, my den is piled high with such things. Also I fill the bathtub with water to use for flushing the toilet.

F. has a chain saw which was really, really vital after Katrina since trees were down all over everywhere. It was much more useful than all that canned food. He also has the means to protect us from the inevitable looters (as does my neighbor across the street, who after hurricanes sits in his carport with a shotgun casually draped across his lap so that those with bad intentions can see that they are on the wrong block).

All my bills are on automatic deduction, which was helpful overall during a protracted, unexpected absence. After returning I did fine without electricity though I was sure glad when it came back on. I have an AOL account which allowed me to access the internet when I returned after Katrina, until Cox Cable could restore service. I don't even know if AOL has dial-up any more.

In recent years (since Katrina), we have always chosen Springfield as our evacuation destination and we always go to the same motel so we know where we are headed. We carry two way portable radios in our cars, as well as our cell phones so we won't get separated even if the cell towers are affected as they were after da Big K.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:45 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm just going with extra shotgun shells and building a list of folks who are well prepared for emergencies.

So far:
- HFWR
- brewer12345
- 52andout
It would be a long walk all the way from TX to NJ. If the scorpins and rattlesnakes did not get you, the refinery waste and radioactive dumps would.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

There was an article recently in the WSJ about the potential for cyberattacks on financial systems. It appears Russia/an entity in Russia may have launched such an attack on Estonian banks in 2007, and it took some time to get everything figured out. DHS is technically responsible for the defense of US non-DoD cyber infrastructure from such attacks, so make of that what you will (it doesn't bring me much comfort). If I logged on to my bank or MF accounts and saw zeroed out balances, it would cause some stress. More importantly (and more likely), if there were the merest ripple of loss of confidence in financial data, I'd imagine there would be a very expensive run on the accounts as people try to get something solid in their hands rather than depend on electronic records of what they own. Electronic transfers/ATM withdrawals might be stopped or capped while the experts worked to survey the damage, put everything right, and resume transfers in a fashion that would encourage confidence/limit panic withdrawals.

In my opinion, it's not practical to buy 100% protection against this event (what would one do--buy gold and real estate?). But, some cheap insurance against the worst case might involve having a healthy dose of currency on hand to get through 2-3 weeks of turmoil while records are reconstructed and trading is resumed. IMO you wouldn't need funds to cover big bills (mortgage, credit cards, etc) because these transfers would likely also be messed up and put on hold, but cash to buy gasoline, groceries, car repairs, etc would be handy.
Just another disaster to worry over . . .

Other than this, we've got the normal emergency supplies in the house. I don't have any MREs or other freeze-dried food. I just bought things that last a year or more and that we normally eat. It gets rotated into the "regular" pantry and I buy more, so no food goes to waste. This obviously wouldn't work if we were planning to leave on foot, since much of this stuff is in cans. We live in snow/ice country, so I have a couple of small propane heaters and lots of small propane cans and a refill kit so I can use the propane in our 20lb bottles.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Living in the country in north Florida the biggest threats are tornadoes/hurricanes. I have 3 months of food, plenty of water (pool), guns ammo, deep cell batteries for ham radios, cash in small bills, keep vehicles gassed up, important papers in safe, batteries for lights, charcoal and gas for cooking.
Dancer373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

Depending on the emergency, cash and documents will be meaningless. So at what level do you prepare for? Minor, major or in between?
Without leaving our house we'd be good for a couple of months with just normal staples on hand. Worst case is getting water from the river out back if city water went out. Our system is gravity so it rarely goes out.

And all those cars will come in handy having gas in them for the generator. Yeah, I'll tell my wife I need another car just for more gas storage...

Loose the house and we have heated outbuildings with water, small kitchen and bath. Loose that and we an RV stored offsite. After that it gets iffy where to go anyway, as it'd be region wide major.

All protected by a SW security system though.
GRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:56 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Living on a mountain, I try to stay stocked for a week or so in case we get a major blizzard or flood that cuts off access. Any more than that, I figure my hiking range is pretty far. If the whole region is impacted, I'm in trouble.

I also have a list of things to gather in case there's a forest fire threatening the mountain, so i don't have to think about it and forget something in my haste.

My brother is a Mormon, and he says the church instructs them to can and stockpile goods to survive 6 or 12 months.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Add to the list: safe, ham or CB radio, extra extra shotguns shells...

I've noticed that Costco has some food kits.

Costco - Grocery & Floral - Emergency Food Kits & Supplies

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:08 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Lots of tin foil.