Encountering Purge resistance and some progress...

Regarding keeping paint on hand for touch ups; I dip a sponge brush generously into each can of paint at conclusion of any job, then place it into a labeled ziplock bag, then into my freezer. When I see a touch up spot, I pull the bag out, set it on the counter for a bit, do the touch up, then toss it back into the bag and freezer. So easy, no mess, and no procrastination urge needing to be fought off. The paint stays fresh for years.

I like my horde and plan to keep it as long as possible.

Regarding keeping paint on hand for touch ups; I dip a sponge brush generously into each can of paint at conclusion of any job, then place it into a labeled ziplock bag, then into my freezer. When I see a touch up spot, I pull the bag out, set it on the counter for a bit, do the touch up, then toss it back into the bag and freezer. So easy, no mess, and no procrastination urge needing to be fought off. The paint stays fresh for years.

I do that as well, and sometimes will freeze a roller loaded with paint.

We did a big purge when we sold our house and moved into an 800 square house with a 700 foot basement. Our treasures are down there. We have been selling stuff on offer-up and Craig's List. Made about $1,000 in the last year. Still so much more to go. I would just take a lot of it to Goodwill, alas DH doesn't want to do that when we can get $5 here and $10 there. Sigh.

We moved cross country this summer. At a $1.00 per pound for movers to transport our “ treasurers”, we were pretty ruthless.
I do have more than one place setting per person, however

When I inherited my parent's home, they had a very large horde.

I hired professionals to conduct an estate sale. They nicely staged the items in every room of the house, garage and back yard. The day before the sale, I was able to do a last minute cherry-pick of what I wanted to keep. Even though the professionals received 30% of the sales, it was well worth it and I still walked away with a little over $9000. in cash.

Interesting... so the sponge is totally covered?

..........Even the electric drill from...oh...1950 or so. Heavy, solid-metal sucker.

Even though I was only a daughter, and therefore seen as not entitled to tools (and somehow unseemly even to be interested in them), I somehow managed to snag a set of Dad's drop-forged steel socket wrenches that have proven very useful; they don't snap under pressure the way modern crummy Chinese aluminum ones do.
On the bright side, every estate sale and Goodwill has all the old aluminum drills and rusty tools you could ever want. Me, I want a plastic double insulated, variable speed drill with a key-less chuck. Some of the Chinese tools are pretty bad, many are sold under "American" brand names.

I continue to be WOWED by the people in this group. The breadth of knowledge and experiences is just amazing.

We do the same if we are painting over several days with the same colour. We slide the roller off the holder, wrap it in plastic, and place it in the freezer until we get back to the job. Same with the paint brushes.

........We slide the roller off the holder, wrap it in plastic, and place it in the freezer until we get back to the job. Same with the paint brushes.
I think this explains some of the odd looking "meat", way in the bottom of the freezer.

My dad was a pack rat of the first order. He died in 2003, and had a jar of Everdur marine screws that he picked up when he worked for Higgins boats during WW2.
My sis and BIL lived a lot closer to Mom & Dad, so they had the task of cleaning out the non walk in closet of his stuff. According to them, it was very many trash bags of junk.
My mom died in 2015, and I was there shortly before she died for her 102nd birthday. I was asked if I wanted any of Dad's old tools, and passed. For example, he had these Yankee screwdrivers that were great in their day, but I just chuck a driver bit into a cordless drill now. They ended up giving them to the condo maintenance man.

Even though I was only a daughter, and therefore seen as not entitled to tools (and somehow unseemly even to be interested in them), I somehow managed to snag a set of Dad's drop-forged steel socket wrenches that have proven very useful; they don't snap under pressure the way modern crummy Chinese aluminum ones do.

They have a (unkind) term for those soft "metals" that are in cheap tools: Chinesium

Like the Robertson head screwdriver bits that I round off by the handful :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom