Encrypt Folders on my Windows PC

Thanks a lot for the replies - sounds like Truecrypt is a good option. As far as backups, though, I assume using truecrypt (or other encryption) isn't going to be compatible with something like google drive, where the files automatically sync to my online storage?

I'm ok with using a backup external drive, it's just more of a hassle because it means I have to manually do the backup. But there aren't really that many files that are critical to have encrypted, and they're not ones I use often anyway, so that's workable.

Create an encrypted volume with Truecrypt and back that up where you can. The volume can be whatever size you like. It appears as a file on your local drive. It can be backed up as any other file can.

What I have is a 2GB encrypted volume on my hard drive. I log into windows and I am prompted for my encrypted volume password. I enter the password and the file mounts as a volume with drive letter. You see folders and files as if they are on any other volume.

You can encrypt entire drives or just a portion. In this case, I am limiting the size of the encrypted volume to 2GB so that I can more readily back it up to cheaper media, like a usb drive or dvd. You have to make decisions based on your need.

I keep all of my private files on the cloud on Google Docs, soon to be Google Drive. That means I can access the info from any computer, anywhere. Nothing on my computer.
Won't help if someone grabs the computer while I'm connected to the cloud, but ya gotta trust somebody.

BTW... Google Docs has most of the features of Open Office, for spreadsheets, and most common documents. I find it easier to use.

I am not naive enough to believe that anything is foolproof, but Google's 2 step verification, and other security features is a step in the right direction.
Google?s security tools ? Good to Know ? Google

Last edited:
I use google drive too, but I use the sync feature so that I have a folder on my desktop and anything I put into it is automatically backed up online.

The suggestions to simply use an external drive made me think harder about what stuff I have that really needs to be encrypted versus just important files that need to be backed up on a regular basis. And it's really not much stuff that needs to be encrypted, I would only do that for things that have account numbers, SS#s, etc. And they're files I rarely use. Now I'm thinking maybe I'll just keep the sensitive files online in my box.com account (which is online-only, same as how imoldernu uses google drive).

That doesn't solve missionfinder's point about temp copies that could be recovered if I open the doc on my computer, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom