End of Life Advice

astromeria said:
My father stayed at home--hospice came to him. That's what my mother said she wants, too, if it comes to that.

That's the rule rather than the exception these days.

The main reason for "hospice house" or inpatient hospice is if certain measures necessary for comfort are difficult or impossible to maintain at home, e.g. specific types of pain pumps, assistive respiratory devices for comfort - and even these are now often done at home.

hospice also comes to nursing homes as they do for mom at the alzheimer's unit of the assisted living facility. most alzheimer's victims die without benefit of hospice care because the course of the disease can be so unpredictable.

new guideline establish that when a dementia patient is no longer ambulatory and can no longer speak (at which point 85% die within 6 months) hospice can be engaged. we brought them onboard as soon as we were able. i have a friend who did not and suffered (both she and her mom) because of her inaction.

Hospice came to my brother's home. He wanted to be able to die at home and this allowed him his wish. I agree that they were wonderful.

TromboneAl, you need all the support you can get, including this forum.
Here's a website you might find helpful:

www.virtualhospice.ca

If you find it useful and would like to register, send me a PM and I'll do that for you.

Meadbh

Back
Top Bottom