Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-06-2015, 09:33 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Being Irish I guess I will have my ashes out into an empty Jameson's bottle and tossed out with the trash. 😎

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2015, 09:55 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
These are our plans as well (DW and I). We have visited enough family members grave sites in our lifetimes and really don't care to purchase real estate/caskets/etc that could cost significant money that someone else in the family could have a better use for.

I'm sure my titanium hip implant and some other internal synthetic and stainless steel parts (pins, plates, screws, etc) will be of interest to a budding orthopedic surgeon.
Check your local med school's policy. For UCSD Med school you have to have paperwork on hand PRIOR to your death or they won't take you. And it has to be notarized. In other words, it requires pre-planning.

And you have to be local to the hospital when you die. My stepmom's former husband died in Tierra Del Fuego - he got sick while on an antarctic cruise - and died in a hospital down there. So much for his plans... local laws took over and he was buried down there.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:14 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Check your local med school's policy. For UCSD Med school you have to have paperwork on hand PRIOR to your death or they won't take you. And it has to be notarized. In other words, it requires pre-planning.

And you have to be local to the hospital when you die. My stepmom's former husband died in Tierra Del Fuego - he got sick while on an antarctic cruise - and died in a hospital down there. So much for his plans... local laws took over and he was buried down there.
Good points, thanks.

DW and her brother are working out the details at the moment. Her brother had a heart transplant earlier this year and almost did not make it, but he is good for now. I suspect we will get all the paperwork and details set in place by October. We have a large family (her side) meeting set up here in Houston on the 18th to coincide with a birthday party and we have time carved out for a discussion on this and other matters. Heck, the youngest of the family group is 65! One good thing about DW and her siblings is they are all level headed and get along quite well, so the drama will be limited.

We looked at the UT body donation program and, probably like others, there is a list of exclusions that would render a body unacceptable for their use, one of which is that it must be specifically embalmed to their standard within 10 hours of the time of death. There are other factors, many of which have to do with the cause of death, the condition of the organs, the physical makeup of the body, etc., so it's not a guarantee that by just completing the paperwork, it's a done deal.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:16 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've told my husband and our sons to donate any parts of me that could be used. It's also on my driver's license. Then I would like to be cremated. If they want to keep me around in an urn for a while, that's fine, but eventually I want to be put in the Cuyahoga River. I've lived in different areas near this river and anything put in it will end up in Lake Erie, eventually making it out to the Atlantic Ocean.

I haven't thought about the Viking idea, but that looks interesting.

I've been very specific - no burial.

I guess I should write this down and make it proper.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:18 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My Mom passed away a few weeks ago. Mom & Dad had already made full arrangements with Neptune Society - America's Trusted Cremation Provider since 1973, and the whole process could not have been easier. They literally take care of everything, which is considerable, and the cost was more than reasonable IMO. Neptune folks have all the contacts, and know all the legal requirements (considerable once you see it all laid out) - and they are prepared to answer any family questions since they handle end of life every day. Money well spent, I am sure my Dad and sister would have managed, but having all that come while grieving would have been most unwelcome. FWIW

And since 1994 my will stipulates that my ashes will be scattered in the last body of water I sailed in. Several of my friends who passed away very young have been similarly scattered already. I'd rather have it done by friends & family than the USCG anyway (nothing against USCG, they're great).

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:39 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have had many pets (dogs, cats, rabbits mostly) that I have loved so much, and have had professionally cremated when they died. They are currently in their individual containers inside a large marble urn.

When I die I have asked that I be cremated, and all of our ashes are combined together. I don't care what happens to the ashes after that. It just gives me pleasure to think of us all back together again.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:31 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Nice idea. Not for most, but I can see the attraction -- it's a very romantic concept.....
The only drawback I can see with the Viking funeral idea is that in order to do it completely legally, you might have to go beyond the 12 mile limit. That's quite a trip!
12 miles out to sea is very far.
It could be dangerous, unless the person has quite a bit of experience going far out it could end up being a funeral for two
Old 09-06-2015, 12:35 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Very interesting topic.

Got me to doing some searches, and I ran across a YouTube video where a lady mortician (with a very interesting personality, lol) talks about a Viking type funeral.

She also shows a friend of hers casting off a little boat with some ashes on it in a local lake (starts about 3 minutes in).

From the overall info, it sounds like not something that would be legal to do in any municipal waterways. But maybe if the funeral party were small enough, and willing to do it in a body of water in the middle of the night, might be something you could get away with.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Old 09-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Found this sweet account of a modern "Viking" funeral for the writer's mother (seems the real Vikings were mostly cremated and their ashes buried in an urn in a burial place, like DH's parents! Those trendsetters....): Guest Post: How to Send A Viking to Valhalla

My own parents and paternal grandparents are buried in national cemeteries. Visiting g'parents' grave in Arlington is always moving.

I always wanted my ashes scattered from the eighth floor of Marshall Field's State Street store but that's out.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:49 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Finally getting around to end of life and funeral planning.

Have been intrigued with the Viking Funeral . I'm very far removed from a Scandinavian Warier , but love the sea, and intend to have my cremated remains sent off in a small wood sailboat sails up and ablaze, beyond the X mile limit.

A few years back, the US coast guard did this for a veteran.

I plan to have mine done on the cheap, so looking for a small wood sailboat, to be kept in storage until the time needed.

Most I tell think I'm kidding . I think my niece will make it happen when called to this duty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
Very interesting topic.

Got me to doing some searches, and I ran across a YouTube video where a lady mortician (with a very interesting personality, lol) talks about a Viking type funeral.

She also shows a friend of hers casting off a little boat with some ashes on it in a local lake (starts about 3 minutes in).

From the overall info, it sounds like not something that would be legal to do in any municipal waterways. But maybe if the funeral party were small enough, and willing to do it in a body of water in the middle of the night, might be something you could get away with.

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
She's awesome! I love her description of why it is illegal to do a "Viking Funeral" (which she claims is mainly a Hollywood creation, but maybe not based on Gunby's post) - paraphrasing: 'A modern cremation takes place at 1800F for two hours to turn every last bit into ashes. If you put a body on a boat stacked with wood, you are going to end up with charred pieces of flesh, and a few days later, a semi-decomposed, burnt foot is going to wash up on a beach and scare the crap out of some kid building a sand castle!'.

Too much! Great morbid humor!

But having previously cremated remains sent out on a boat wouldn't run into such troubles (might still be illegal though?).

And here's a great one on the "donating your body to Science" question:

-ERD50
Old 09-07-2015, 09:09 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I've told my husband and our sons to donate any parts of me that could be used. It's also on my driver's license. Then I would like to be cremated. If they want to keep me around in an urn for a while, that's fine, but eventually I want to be put in the Cuyahoga River. I've lived in different areas near this river and anything put in it will end up in Lake Erie, eventually making it out to the Atlantic Ocean.

I haven't thought about the Viking idea, but that looks interesting.

I've been very specific - no burial.

I guess I should write this down and make it proper.
You won't be alone. My parents never stated what was to be done their ashes, past being mixed together. My sisters and I struggled with what they would have wanted. We took their ashes back to one of the Finger Lakes and poured them into the water. What a beautiful thing to see, it made a fantastic cloud. It was the place they honeymooned at 75 years prior. Legal? Probably not.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:56 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
The Viking Funeral idea is romantic, I agree, but still a little unsettling to me because so many people treat the oceans like a giant toilet dump site with infinite capacity.
+1

The idea of my ashes being spread on the ocean sounds good. But, like you, the idea of having a small boat and my body, partially burned, added to the pile-o-crap building on the ocean floor does seem wrong.

I guess I'd leave the boat out of it. And I'd go for a complete cremation before spreading the ashes. Some kids finding my charred left foot on the beach one day doesn't sound that appealing.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:08 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
My Mom passed away a few weeks ago. Mom & Dad had already made full arrangements with Neptune Society - America's Trusted Cremation Provider since 1973, and the whole process could not have been easier. They literally take care of everything, which is considerable, and the cost was more than reasonable IMO. Neptune folks have all the contacts, and know all the legal requirements (considerable once you see it all laid out) - and they are prepared to answer any family questions since they handle end of life every day. Money well spent, I am sure my Dad and sister would have managed, but having all that come while grieving would have been most unwelcome. FWIW

My Mom has prepaid her Neptune society.
Dad's ashes were scattered on a lake in upstate New York.
This was done in the 70's though probably before any laws on not doing this and no cameras to watch our every move.
Speaking of cameras, a few people have put their ashes in the rides at Disney world. I'm sure the Viking ride has had it's share of human remains left behind. Disney doesn't publicize this fact but it's been happening for years in rides, lakes and even in the haunted mansion.

Me I just want to be dumped into Biscayne Bay. Here in Miami we have an underground mausoleum where you can have your remains buried there by a diver. It's part of the Neptune Society services here locally.
Memorial Reef™ by Neptune Society | Neptune Society
Old 09-07-2015, 10:19 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm all for cremation. I want to be taken for one last hike and then returned to the forest life cycle.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:34 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Finally getting around to end of life and funeral planning.

Have been intrigued with the Viking Funeral . I'm very far removed from a Scandinavian Warier , but love the sea, and intend to have my cremated remains sent off in a small wood sailboat sails up and ablaze, beyond the X mile limit.

A few years back, the US coast guard did this for a veteran.

I plan to have mine done on the cheap, so looking for a small wood sailboat, to be kept in storage until the time needed.

Most I tell think I'm kidding . I think my niece will make it happen when called to this duty.
I had similar plans made with my friends back when Lake Pontchartrain was out the back door(1979-2005). Even then wooden boats were becoming scarcer each year.

Now in Kansas a simple cremation and a scattering on the plains may have to do. Although mound burial was also practiced by the Vikings.

heh heh heh - considering a few beers were involved in the early plans I now have my doubts how the flaming arrows ala the movies would have worked out.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:40 AM   #36

Cremation... sharing the atoms with the world.
The "butterfly effect".

Old 09-07-2015, 12:47 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Cremation... sharing the atoms with the world.
The "butterfly effect".

No matter what you do, you end up sharing the atoms with the world. Only way to avoid that is having your remains fired off into space. Which I would also consider.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:14 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

My Final Directives document specifically calls for cremation, then dispersal into nature, preferably water.
I still have my Mom's and husband's cremains. I'm thinking about the St Lawrence River, which flows through the 1000 Islands out to the sea.
The right time and place to do the scattering has not yet occurred.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:19 PM   #39

With my Dad last year, 1/2 of his ashes went into the Pacific off his favorite beach in CA , then sister took some of the remaining ashes to his favorite beach on the island of HI. We still have some ashes left for his favorite swimming places on the American river in nor. cal, Then all of his remains will be swimming the eternal swim.

PS. Paddle out is best , sending off remains from a tour boat can be quite uncomfortable due to sea conditions. Some jurisdictions require a permit for disposal of ashes in coastal waters inside the 12 mile limit.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:44 PM   #40

China's Latest Target: Funeral Strippers : The Two-Way : NPR

Quote:
Looking for a way to give a departed loved one a send-off everyone will remember?

How about hiring strippers to perform at the funeral?

In some parts of rural China, this is not considered absurd, but a good idea.

In February, police busted groups performing striptease acts at funerals in North China's Hebei province and in East China's Jiangsu province. A man named Li, who runs the otherwise benign sounding Red Rose Singing and Dance Troupe, in the city of Handan, Hebei, was detained for 15 days and fined more than $11,000, according to China's government. Photos of the show, predictably, ended up online.

Three strippers who performed in Shuyang County in Jiangsu were detained, while those behind the show were charged with organizing obscene performances.

This week, China's Ministry of Culture told people to stop hiring strippers and vowed to work with police to stamp out the practice.

"This type of illegal operation disrupts order of the cultural market in the countryside and corrupts social morals and manners," the ministry said in a statement.

Why do people hire strippers to perform at funerals?

Typically, rural families do it to drum up crowds. A 2006 story by the state-run New China News Service said villagers in parts of Jiangsu believed that "the more people who attend the funeral, the more the dead person is honored." For other families, the displays are a way to show off wealth and filial piety for the deceased.

The practice isn't isolated to rural China — the island of Taiwan also has funeral strippers who perform on the tops of trucks to make for a faster getaway.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burial, funeral, viking