End of life pre planning , " Viking Funeral "

I have had many pets (dogs, cats, rabbits mostly) that I have loved so much, and have had professionally cremated when they died. They are currently in their individual containers inside a large marble urn.

When I die I have asked that I be cremated, and all of our ashes are combined together. I don't care what happens to the ashes after that. It just gives me pleasure to think of us all back together again.

Nice idea. Not for most, but I can see the attraction -- it's a very romantic concept.....
The only drawback I can see with the Viking funeral idea is that in order to do it completely legally, you might have to go beyond the 12 mile limit. That's quite a trip!

12 miles out to sea is very far.
It could be dangerous, unless the person has quite a bit of experience going far out it could end up being a funeral for two :flowers:

Very interesting topic.

Got me to doing some searches, and I ran across a YouTube video where a lady mortician (with a very interesting personality, lol) talks about a Viking type funeral.

She also shows a friend of hers casting off a little boat with some ashes on it in a local lake (starts about 3 minutes in).

From the overall info, it sounds like not something that would be legal to do in any municipal waterways. But maybe if the funeral party were small enough, and willing to do it in a body of water in the middle of the night, might be something you could get away with.

[yt]FQJOs8rm6xM[/yt]

Found this sweet account of a modern "Viking" funeral for the writer's mother (seems the real Vikings were mostly cremated and their ashes buried in an urn in a burial place, like DH's parents! Those trendsetters....): Guest Post: How to Send A Viking to Valhalla

My own parents and paternal grandparents are buried in national cemeteries. Visiting g'parents' grave in Arlington is always moving.

I always wanted my ashes scattered from the eighth floor of Marshall Field's State Street store but that's out.

Finally getting around to end of life and funeral planning.

Have been intrigued with the Viking Funeral . I'm very far removed from a Scandinavian Warier , but love the sea, and intend to have my cremated remains sent off in a small wood sailboat sails up and ablaze, beyond the X mile limit.

A few years back, the US coast guard did this for a veteran.

I plan to have mine done on the cheap, so looking for a small wood sailboat, to be kept in storage until the time needed.

Most I tell think I'm kidding . I think my niece will make it happen when called to this duty.

Very interesting topic.

Got me to doing some searches, and I ran across a YouTube video where a lady mortician (with a very interesting personality, lol) talks about a Viking type funeral.

She also shows a friend of hers casting off a little boat with some ashes on it in a local lake (starts about 3 minutes in).

From the overall info, it sounds like not something that would be legal to do in any municipal waterways. But maybe if the funeral party were small enough, and willing to do it in a body of water in the middle of the night, might be something you could get away with.

[yt]FQJOs8rm6xM[/yt]

She's awesome! I love her description of why it is illegal to do a "Viking Funeral" (which she claims is mainly a Hollywood creation, but maybe not based on Gunby's post) - paraphrasing: 'A modern cremation takes place at 1800F for two hours to turn every last bit into ashes. If you put a body on a boat stacked with wood, you are going to end up with charred pieces of flesh, and a few days later, a semi-decomposed, burnt foot is going to wash up on a beach and scare the crap out of some kid building a sand castle!'.

Too much! Great morbid humor!

But having previously cremated remains sent out on a boat wouldn't run into such troubles (might still be illegal though?).

And here's a great one on the "donating your body to Science" question:

-ERD50

I've told my husband and our sons to donate any parts of me that could be used. It's also on my driver's license. Then I would like to be cremated. If they want to keep me around in an urn for a while, that's fine, but eventually I want to be put in the Cuyahoga River. I've lived in different areas near this river and anything put in it will end up in Lake Erie, eventually making it out to the Atlantic Ocean.

I haven't thought about the Viking idea, but that looks interesting.

I've been very specific - no burial.

I guess I should write this down and make it proper.

You won't be alone. My parents never stated what was to be done their ashes, past being mixed together. My sisters and I struggled with what they would have wanted. We took their ashes back to one of the Finger Lakes and poured them into the water. What a beautiful thing to see, it made a fantastic cloud. It was the place they honeymooned at 75 years prior. Legal? Probably not.

The Viking Funeral idea is romantic, I agree, but still a little unsettling to me because so many people treat the oceans like a giant [-]toilet[/-] dump site with infinite capacity.

+1

The idea of my ashes being spread on the ocean sounds good. But, like you, the idea of having a small boat and my body, partially burned, added to the pile-o-crap building on the ocean floor does seem wrong.

I guess I'd leave the boat out of it. And I'd go for a complete cremation before spreading the ashes. Some kids finding my charred left foot on the beach one day doesn't sound that appealing.

My Mom passed away a few weeks ago. Mom & Dad had already made full arrangements with Neptune Society - America's Trusted Cremation Provider since 1973, and the whole process could not have been easier. They literally take care of everything, which is considerable, and the cost was more than reasonable IMO. Neptune folks have all the contacts, and know all the legal requirements (considerable once you see it all laid out) - and they are prepared to answer any family questions since they handle end of life every day. Money well spent, I am sure my Dad and sister would have managed, but having all that come while grieving would have been most unwelcome. FWIW

My Mom has prepaid her Neptune society.
Dad's ashes were scattered on a lake in upstate New York.
This was done in the 70's though probably before any laws on not doing this and no cameras to watch our every move.
Speaking of cameras, a few people have put their ashes in the rides at Disney world. I'm sure the Viking ride has had it's share of human remains left behind. Disney doesn't publicize this fact but it's been happening for years in rides, lakes and even in the haunted mansion.

Me I just want to be dumped into Biscayne Bay. Here in Miami we have an underground mausoleum where you can have your remains buried there by a diver. It's part of the Neptune Society services here locally.
Memorial Reef™ by Neptune Society | Neptune Society

I'm all for cremation. I want to be taken for one last hike and then returned to the forest life cycle.

Finally getting around to end of life and funeral planning.

Have been intrigued with the Viking Funeral . I'm very far removed from a Scandinavian Warier , but love the sea, and intend to have my cremated remains sent off in a small wood sailboat sails up and ablaze, beyond the X mile limit.

A few years back, the US coast guard did this for a veteran.

I plan to have mine done on the cheap, so looking for a small wood sailboat, to be kept in storage until the time needed.

Most I tell think I'm kidding . I think my niece will make it happen when called to this duty.

I had similar plans made with my friends back when Lake Pontchartrain was out the back door(1979-2005). Even then wooden boats were becoming scarcer each year.

Now in Kansas a simple cremation and a scattering on the plains may have to do. Although mound burial was also practiced by the Vikings.

heh heh heh - considering a few beers were involved in the early plans I now have my doubts how the flaming arrows ala the movies would have worked out. :rolleyes: ;) :LOL:;)

Cremation... sharing the atoms with the world.
The "butterfly effect".

:)

Cremation... sharing the atoms with the world.
The "butterfly effect".

:)

No matter what you do, you end up sharing the atoms with the world. Only way to avoid that is having your remains fired off into space. Which I would also consider.

My Final Directives document specifically calls for cremation, then dispersal into nature, preferably water.
I still have my Mom's and husband's cremains. I'm thinking about the St Lawrence River, which flows through the 1000 Islands out to the sea.
The right time and place to do the scattering has not yet occurred.

With my Dad last year, 1/2 of his ashes went into the Pacific off his favorite beach in CA , then sister took some of the remaining ashes to his favorite beach on the island of HI. We still have some ashes left for his favorite swimming places on the American river in nor. cal, Then all of his remains will be swimming the eternal swim.

PS. Paddle out is best , sending off remains from a tour boat can be quite uncomfortable due to sea conditions. Some jurisdictions require a permit for disposal of ashes in coastal waters inside the 12 mile limit.

China's Latest Target: Funeral Strippers : The Two-Way : NPR

Looking for a way to give a departed loved one a send-off everyone will remember?

How about hiring strippers to perform at the funeral?

In some parts of rural China, this is not considered absurd, but a good idea.

In February, police busted groups performing striptease acts at funerals in North China's Hebei province and in East China's Jiangsu province. A man named Li, who runs the otherwise benign sounding Red Rose Singing and Dance Troupe, in the city of Handan, Hebei, was detained for 15 days and fined more than $11,000, according to China's government. Photos of the show, predictably, ended up online.

Three strippers who performed in Shuyang County in Jiangsu were detained, while those behind the show were charged with organizing obscene performances.

This week, China's Ministry of Culture told people to stop hiring strippers and vowed to work with police to stamp out the practice.

"This type of illegal operation disrupts order of the cultural market in the countryside and corrupts social morals and manners," the ministry said in a statement.

Why do people hire strippers to perform at funerals?

Typically, rural families do it to drum up crowds. A 2006 story by the state-run New China News Service said villagers in parts of Jiangsu believed that "the more people who attend the funeral, the more the dead person is honored." For other families, the displays are a way to show off wealth and filial piety for the deceased.

The practice isn't isolated to rural China — the island of Taiwan also has funeral strippers who perform on the tops of trucks to make for a faster getaway.

I told DW that if the Viking Funeral thing doesn't work out, just roll me in a sheet with a cinderblock at my feet, take me out to the deep water, and push me overboard. I've eaten enough crabs in my life that it's only fair they get a shot at me.

This Cosa Nostra method is the simplest, cheapest, and safest way to ensure the body does not come back on shore. It has my vote.

Good plan Lake ! Well done !

The better half and I have bought our plots in a little country cemetery in East Texas and we have shopped for our headstone.

We intend to have the stone purchased and everything arranged and sat up so that the kiddo's have no decisions to make and no cost's to bear. Everything is or will be paid for in advance.

We really like your intentions. Again well done sir !

Well, DW & I aren't going down (or up, depending on our mortal behavior) without a fight. We're going the corpsicle route, heck, it's only the price of a new car in todays dollars.

If it fails, at least we stand a chance of being the subject of a National Geographic article in 100 years or so.:rolleyes:

http://www.cryonics.org/

_B

I am pretty sure I want cremation and then my ashes made part of reef somewhere.

My husband I think wants buried, but I have no idea where, and he can't decide and won't talk about it/think about it much. He always ends up going into a joke about it. Each of us always tells the other "I'm going first!". Hopefully I will indeed go first! :)

I am pretty sure I want cremation and then my ashes made part of reef somewhere.

My husband I think wants buried, but I have no idea where, and he can't decide and won't talk about it/think about it much. He always ends up going into a joke about it. Each of us always tells the other "I'm going first!". Hopefully I will indeed go first! :)

My dad always changed the subject when we wanted to discuss funeral wishes. I causes one to confront their mortality, and is very uncomfortable for some. The way I look at it, he is giving you permission to your best judgement when the time comes. I would leave it at that and not push it, so long as estate planning thins are already in place.

My dad always changed the subject when we wanted to discuss funeral wishes. I causes one to confront their mortality, and is very uncomfortable for some. The way I look at it, he is giving you permission to your best judgement when the time comes. I would leave it at that and not push it, so long as estate planning thins are already in place.

Thanks for the advice, I'm sure you are right.

Sounds like that is what I will have to do.

But I'm going first.

;)

The way I look at it, he is giving you permission to your best judgement when the time comes. I

Honestly, I will be past caring, so it doesn't matter a bit what happens to my remains when I'm gone.

I've given DW an appropriate location to scatter my ashes, but it's primarily just an attempt to give her some closure on the issue.

Organ donor here, take what you want and cremate the rest. Spread the ashes on some golf course sand trap or water hazard. Do everything on the cheap and no memorial services, I hate those things and wouldn't want to put anyone through one on my account.

... take what you want and cremate the rest. ....

Sung to the tune (by The Band) of "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down"? :)

"Take what you need and leave the rest,
but they should never, have taken the very best..."

but I guess when you donate your organs, they should take the very best, right?

Sorry, but that song jumped right into my head when I read your post.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom