Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-23-2015, 04:54 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I told DW that if the Viking Funeral thing doesn't work out, just roll me in a sheet with a cinderblock at my feet, take me out to the deep water, and push me overboard. I've eaten enough crabs in my life that it's only fair they get a shot at me.
This Cosa Nostra method is the simplest, cheapest, and safest way to ensure the body does not come back on shore. It has my vote.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2015, 05:17 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Good plan Lake ! Well done !

The better half and I have bought our plots in a little country cemetery in East Texas and we have shopped for our headstone.

We intend to have the stone purchased and everything arranged and sat up so that the kiddo's have no decisions to make and no cost's to bear. Everything is or will be paid for in advance.

We really like your intentions. Again well done sir !

Old 09-28-2015, 02:24 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Funeral Strippers

You learn something new every day!
Old 09-28-2015, 02:41 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, DW & I aren't going down (or up, depending on our mortal behavior) without a fight. We're going the corpsicle route, heck, it's only the price of a new car in todays dollars.

If it fails, at least we stand a chance of being the subject of a National Geographic article in 100 years or so.

http://www.cryonics.org/

_B
Old 09-28-2015, 03:47 PM   #45

I am pretty sure I want cremation and then my ashes made part of reef somewhere.

My husband I think wants buried, but I have no idea where, and he can't decide and won't talk about it/think about it much. He always ends up going into a joke about it. Each of us always tells the other "I'm going first!". Hopefully I will indeed go first!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:30 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
I am pretty sure I want cremation and then my ashes made part of reef somewhere.

My husband I think wants buried, but I have no idea where, and he can't decide and won't talk about it/think about it much. He always ends up going into a joke about it. Each of us always tells the other "I'm going first!". Hopefully I will indeed go first!
My dad always changed the subject when we wanted to discuss funeral wishes. I causes one to confront their mortality, and is very uncomfortable for some. The way I look at it, he is giving you permission to your best judgement when the time comes. I would leave it at that and not push it, so long as estate planning thins are already in place.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:43 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
My dad always changed the subject when we wanted to discuss funeral wishes. I causes one to confront their mortality, and is very uncomfortable for some. The way I look at it, he is giving you permission to your best judgement when the time comes. I would leave it at that and not push it, so long as estate planning thins are already in place.
Thanks for the advice, I'm sure you are right.

Sounds like that is what I will have to do.

But I'm going first.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:00 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
The way I look at it, he is giving you permission to your best judgement when the time comes. I
Honestly, I will be past caring, so it doesn't matter a bit what happens to my remains when I'm gone.

I've given DW an appropriate location to scatter my ashes, but it's primarily just an attempt to give her some closure on the issue.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:28 AM   #49

Organ donor here, take what you want and cremate the rest. Spread the ashes on some golf course sand trap or water hazard. Do everything on the cheap and no memorial services, I hate those things and wouldn't want to put anyone through one on my account.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:07 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
... take what you want and cremate the rest. ....
Sung to the tune (by The Band) of "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down"?

"Take what you need and leave the rest,
but they should never, have taken the very best..."

but I guess when you donate your organs, they should take the very best, right?

Sorry, but that song jumped right into my head when I read your post.

-ERD50

Tags
burial, funeral, viking