Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ah...except the prison part. Keep suburbia give me country

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2009, 09:45 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Part of me thinks being closer in would be better as we get older and less able to physically deal with a larger home and yard. I also think about being close to health care and services should one or both of us need this.
I lived way out in an area that was (and is now) popular with retirees. I got to know quite a few of them, through church, clubs, etc.

There was a big turnover. Some loved it, and some missed the contact with old familiar haunts. If both members of the couple liked it and adapted well to the driving all was fine unless one of them got sick.

But a drive of an hour or more to cancer treatment, post surgical checks or whatever got old for those whose luck was not so good. And for some there was a fear that came from being a long way from emergency services.

ha

Old 03-15-2009, 11:07 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

This sounds like you're talking about living in the boonies, not the suburbs. I like the country too, but as my Mom gets older I'd like her closer to the amenities instead of being a minimum 1/2 hour away from an ambulance. Most suburbs I know of have decent hospitals, shopping, etc. Often better (or at least less crowded) than in the cities.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:50 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

This is a perfect place for government intervention stimulus. The Dept of Health and Human Services could set up laboratories of suburbia, to study the issues. We could call it "The Labia Project" for short...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:23 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Old 03-16-2009, 10:18 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
This is a perfect place for government intervention stimulus. The Dept of Health and Human Services could set up laboratories of suburbia, to study the issues. We could call it "The Labia Project" for short...
Put me down for the Boondock Report.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:51 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
One by one it feels like the "new prosperities" enjoyed in the aftermath of WW2 and its postwar economic bubble are starting to unravel into unsustainability.

Suburbia.
Wage increases that beat inflation.
Pensions.
Stock markets that return north of 10% per year on average.
Costly annual vacations.
The nuclear family.
Middle-class retirement.

I think you should add rural living to the list. All the expenses of suburbia and more for an equivalent life style. No public transportation, expensive consolidated school districts served by high cost bus systems, high cost of bringing utilities in, etc. I'd love a rural life style but will only partake when/if I can afford it and feel it is time to stop subsidizing those folks by shifting the costs of life there to urban types via utility bills, education subsidies, etc.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:00 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I'd love a rural life style but will only partake when/if I can afford it and feel it is time to stop subsidizing those folks by shifting the costs of life there to urban types via utility bills, education subsidies, etc.
If you are intersted go for it now, while the subsidies exist. Never turn down money extracted from someone you don't know, he wouldn't turn down money taken from you.

Ha
Old 03-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Call me a skeptic, but why exactly would suburbs go the way of the dinosaur? People like cheap land, nice shiny new houses, and fancy new exclusive places. And generally greenfield construction with low land costs and looser zoning/regulatory requirements equals more money and easier money for a residential developer. Urban infill can be expensive, fraught with risks and unknowns, expensive, time consuming, and expensive.

If I was the head of a struggling young family faced with limited financial resources, which would I pick? A decent house with a nice yard in a decent suburb for a low price (remember, these places are dead, empty ghost towns with zero demand ). Or a modest older multifamily unit in town where my kids won't go to the best school district and I barely have enough room in the house for all of us?

Remember gas is cheap. Who cares if you have to drive 15 minutes to go grocery shopping!
Old 03-16-2009, 03:42 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Call me a skeptic, but why exactly would suburbs go the way of the dinosaur? People like cheap land, nice shiny new houses, and fancy new exclusive places. And generally greenfield construction with low land costs and looser zoning/regulatory requirements equals more money and easier money for a residential developer. Urban infill can be expensive, fraught with risks and unknowns, expensive, time consuming, and expensive.

If I was the head of a struggling young family faced with limited financial resources, which would I pick? A decent house with a nice yard in a decent suburb for a low price (remember, these places are dead, empty ghost towns with zero demand ). Or a modest older multifamily unit in town where my kids won't go to the best school district and I barely have enough room in the house for all of us?

Remember gas is cheap. Who cares if you have to drive 15 minutes to go grocery shopping!
For now.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:47 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

People are confusing the projects with regular neighborhoods in the central city.

Suburbs would've hit a brick wall years ago if they bore their full costs. Now they'll become edge cities or die when peak oil hits (DOE has it happening in ~2025).

Remember: The British Pound was once the reserve currency.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:52 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
For now.
That is all that matters. We, the people, are shortsighted.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:42 AM   #33

I think the forecast of the death of suburbia is premature. Given the choices outlined by FUEGO few suburbanites will move to a city unless they have no other choice. I worked with a guy who drove two hours each way every day so he could have his nice house in the country. That's too high a price for most people, but still, I'm amazed at the number of people who commute from here to the DC area, anywhere from one to two hours each way.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:55 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I think the forecast of the death of suburbia is premature. Given the choices outlined by FUEGO few suburbanites will move to a city unless they have no other choice. I worked with a guy who drove two hours each way every day so he could have his nice house in the country. That's too high a price for most people, but still, I'm amazed at the number of people who commute from here to the DC area, anywhere from one to two hours each way.
I run into many folks from WV commuting to this area. Some do it because of the high cost of housing in this area but many more love where they live and wouldn't dream of moving here.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:47 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

For me, adding an extra 2-4 hours to my work day, not to mention fuel costs, and wear-and-tear on the vehicle/driver, would likely veto any longing to live in "the country".

My commute now is 7.5 miles each way, and it still takes 20 minutes...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:30 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
For me, adding an extra 2-4 hours to my work day, not to mention fuel costs, and wear-and-tear on the vehicle/driver, would likely veto any longing to live in "the country".
That was funny. If I am driving 2-4 hours a day... I'd better be a truck driver (or a cop, ext.).