Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Engineering Forums
Old 02-14-2006, 11:16 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thats one boating accident you want to avoid...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2006, 04:12 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

John Greaney is/was a civil engineer. Don't say they can't become millionaires.

And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 03:11 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via MSN to cons Send a message via Yahoo to cons

just wanted to give an update on what my brother has decided to go into. he has decided that he may go into mechanical and/or electrical engineering. he starts college next month and his major will be 'Electronic Technology - Optical Communications Concentration '. the college that he will be attending does not have an electrical engineering program yet, however, they do have a mechanical engineering program and a brand new 'Mechatronic Engineering' program. he can transfer many of the credits from one program to another (within the college) since many of the courses in the curriculums for the different programs are similar.

i told him that as long as he keeps taking math/science courses, he should be fine if/when he elects to switch programs/majors and transfer to a different college/university.

he's 17 yrs old now, so even if he decides that this is not what he wants to get into, or if it gets to be too difficult for him, he would have time on his side to change majors.
Old 08-12-2006, 06:01 PM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

Nords,
You would not believe how many chicks I had to fight off in college when they found out I was an engineering major...must have been about....0 (with a # that high you gotta estimate)?
Cons,
I started in electrical enginering and transferrred to civil engineering after my freshman year. I was fortunate that all of my credits transferred. I recommend that he register for courses that are required for either major.

Old 08-12-2006, 09:51 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Notwithstanding the 'housing bubble' all the civil and structural engineers my DH has contacted for help have as much work as they can handle.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:47 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

In a follow-up to others. Regardless of what branch of engineering he goes for... In my internship, I learned the most at a small scale place. Gov't job. Where the head honcho took me under his wing for 3 summers and tried to expose me to as many aspects of the "trade" as possible. So, that's my advice. Get a job where there'll be lots of time to "bring up" the intern.

Specifications, contracts, Design/CAD/drafting, survey, construction/inspection, materials testing, etc.

Nothing but brain food.

The hard part for most kids is stickin' with it, and makin' it through the Calculus "weed out".

-CC
Old 08-13-2006, 08:49 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via MSN to cons Send a message via Yahoo to cons

doing an internship sounds like a great idea. unfortunately, between working 48 hrs per week and attending college full time(15 credits), he may not be able to do an internship just yet. if he can find one out here on long island, that would be great. also, if it would be a paid internship, that would be even better as he can maybe work part time at the other job or even quit the other job. he is 17 so it MAY be tough/competitive to get an internship now.

we'll see if he can maybe find an internship through the career development office at the college, but i doubt that they have many internship opportunities in the program that he's in.

CCdaCE, my brother is registered for a pre-calculus class this fall semester. he did fairly well on the college's placement exam, which tested his english and math skills. i don't know how good he is in science, specifically physics.

chrisdut, i told him this as well as the admissions counselor...take as many math and science courses as you can since those will be the ones that will be transferable to other programs/colleges in the future if he decides to transfer later on. i'm not sure about the liberal arts courses (english,history, etc) being transferable to another college/university, but the math and science courses definitely are.

Brat, he did look into civil engineering, but for whatever reason he said that he was not interested in it. we'll see how it goes in the next year or so...if he decides to go into a different field or not.

i think that this is a very crucial and important time in an individual's life. from personal experience, the age between 17 and 22 were pretty hectic. there was a lot going on in my life and it was hard to focus on 'staying the course' and sticking to my game plan. even harder when your peers are doing the exact opposite. at times, it was overwhelming and i felt like i just wanted to give up and go back to being that irresponsible 12 year old that did not have a care in the world. however, i stuck it out and paid my dues. looking back at those times now seems like it was well worth the sacrifices.