Join Early Retirement Today
Old 07-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
We currently have 4 cats. The eldest (female) is the first cat my wife and I had together. A year later we added a 2nd cat (male). They didn't get along very well, but they didn't fight, nor did they mark their territory.

We added a third cat (male) a year or so after that. The female really doesn't like him (even 11 years later). She'll hiss and run from him, and he definitely bullies her. Still no serious fights nor marking of territory.

Maybe a year after adding the 3rd cat, we added 2 more male kittens (littermates). They were both friendly and didn't cause much of a ruckus in the household.

The 2nd cat eventually ran away (boy, was he miserable indoors). We had the remaining four for around 8 years, until one of the younger ones died from kidney failure and the other died from congestive heart failure.

Around a year ago we added 2 more kittens (brother and sister). They love each other and are quite fond of cat #3 (the bully); they'll play with him, groom him and sleep back-to-back with him. The matriarch still doesn't like anyone. But still no fights nor urination.

So it is possible for cats to coexist. Not much in this world is better than kitties.
We have 4 cats too. No problems with marking, but one is a bully, particularly around feeding time. We never considered the bullying to be a serious problem until about a month ago when I noticed our oldest cat with a very watery eye. Took him to the vet and the eyeball was punctured. $1,000 later, he's fine. While we didn't see the attack, we're 99.9% sure the bully cat did it. Now the bully gets his claws trimmed more often and is seperated from the others at feeding time and when he becomes agressive.

Oh, here's a pic of the bully. He's a good cat most of the time but you can be sure we watch his behavior much more closely now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eddie1.JPG (443.4 KB, 1 views)

I purr therefore I am.
Purron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!