Join Early Retirement Today

Engineer's guide to cats.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:37 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Engineer's guide to cats.

I suspect this has been posted before but for you cat lovers and/or engineers who haven't seen it well worth the 7 minutes.

clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2009, 11:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

OMG, "Fluffy" has been living with me almost five years and I haven't figured her aspect ratio yet.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:12 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Being an engineer myself and owning being owned by 2 cats, this video made me laugh out loud! Thanks for posting it!
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:57 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I tried to measure my cats' aspect ratios, they were very uncooperative. I think cat yodeling maybe too difficult.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:14 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

They made several videos...I love the one of the cats yodeling......advanced cat yodeling that is...

Old 07-06-2009, 08:05 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Excellent! Thanks for posting that.
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:59 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Clif, I caught that this morning and already forwarded it to a few appreciative cat lovers and engineer types. I love the corporal cuddling technique!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 11:36 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

It looks more like they are playing the catpipes.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:11 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
It looks more like they are playing the catpipes.
LOL!

These are very funny videos - thanks for posting
Old 07-08-2009, 01:35 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

The way this guy held and kissed his cats is the same way my wife and son have done to our cat. She is just as indignant, but suffers in silence. No yodeling yet.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 02:43 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The way this guy held and kissed his cats is the same way my wife and son have done to our cat. She is just as indignant, but suffers in silence. No yodeling yet.
Do you ever kiss your cat when wife and son aren't looking?

My hubby's a big, manly guy and kisses our cats. I love that about him!
Old 07-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I am not a big guy, and I don't care to be "manly" in the way most people define it. I am also an engineer, and a cat lover.

Our current cat, a good looking Calico, is not that friendly though. She bit me a couple of times. My cat before that was a white cat with blue eyes and pink ears. She loved to curl up on my tummy when I laid on the couch watching TV. She loved to be around people and never bit. Back when I was still working, she knew my schedule and would wake me up in the morning, then jumped up on the counter when I brushed my teeth. When I finished my morning routine, I would brush her hair and that was the treatment she looked forward to and waited for. In the end, I would have to pick her up as she was too weak to hop onto the bathroom counter.

She was with us for a short 13 years. I miss her often.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 07-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I am not a big guy, and I don't care to be "manly" in the way most people define it. I am also an engineer, and a cat lover.

Our current cat, a good looking Calico, is not that friendly though. She bit me a couple of times. My cat before that was a white cat with blue eyes and pink ears. She loved to curl up on my tummy when I laid on the couch watching TV. She loved to be around people and never bit. Back when I was still working, she knew my schedule and would wake me up in the morning, then jumped up on the counter when I brushed my teeth. When I finished my morning routine, I would brush her hair and that was the treatment she looked forward to and waited for. In the end, I would have to pick her up as she was too weak to hop onto the bathroom counter.

She was with us for a short 13 years. I miss her often.
Love this. Your family is very fortunate to share their lives with you. I have to add to my prior message and say, while my DH is a big guy, I think he's much like you. He's a very compassionate person with people and pets. Our oldest cat has been through some serious health problems and DH is so caring and tender with him. I'm a lucky person to have such a wonderful husband.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:53 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

We adopted this Calico when she was perhaps a bit more than a year old. I do not know if she was abused. Some say it's the temperament of Calicos. Somehow, my wife and particularly my son know how to handle her while avoiding being bitten.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:56 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

NW-Bound, I think you need a second cat--this time get a nice orange sherbet colored tabby male. They are the best, bar none, and friendliest. I have one, Hokey, and he's awesome!

Old 07-08-2009, 07:01 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

People at the shelter warned me that this Calico cat would not get along with any other cat. So, we are stuck with her for a while. We did have an orange tabby male when we first got married, before the lovely white cat. And yes, the tabby was also sweet.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:06 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I'd definitely heed the shelters advice. I really didn't really appreciate how terribly anti-social and territorial cats could be until I got Rosa Parks (the cat in my avatar with a sleek aspect ratio of 3.2 LOL). Or as I say teenage girls don't really understand catty behavior until they've watched the real stuff in action.

I got her as kitten and my other cat (Scamper) was 5 months old. She was constantly hissing at Scamper, and now 7 years later she reluctantly tolerates him despite Scamper always been docile around her. When my ex-girlfriend and I bought this house we combined households and ended up with 5 cats, which was great for me the cat lover, but living hell for Rosa. She reacted by constantly hissing and getting into catfights but what was a nightmare is the pissing contest. She and the alpha female of my girlfriends literal would urinate everywhere in an attempt to mark territory. Nothing really smells as bad as cat urine. Of course the logical solution would be find Rosa a cat free home and I tried.

The situation didn't improve much when I replaced my ex-girlfriends three cats, with my new roommates two cats. Rosa would walk around the house in a permanent crouch, hiss at any hint of another cat while marking clothes, computers, the top of furniture, beds etc. with a particularly pungent urine. I finally isolated her in one room which helped, but my roommates male insisted on spraying also although not as bad.

After my roommate moved out I got smart and allowed no more cats in the house and the problem is pretty much resolved itself. My understanding is that littermates generally get along better, it isn't always true. My sister adopted 3 semi-ferrel cats from the humane society and despite being littermates they also are horrible urinators. The problem gets worse with the mere hint of another cat near their yard,. This whips them into a frenzy of territory marking, several times per day.

Now I know plenty of people have no problems with multi cat households,and I've always lived with two cats with no problems. But if somebody tells you a cat is anti social, you should really listen to them.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:34 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Good grief! I would not be able to stand the smell of cat urine in the house! By the way, we have never had more than one cat, so do not know about cat fights. So far this one has not done any bad deed.

My earlier tabby was such a clean cat. Once he ventured into my study room, and we unknowingly closed the door, locking him in overnight. When we discovered he was missing, looked for him, and opened the door, he let out one "meow", and ran straight for his kitty sandbox!

Old 07-09-2009, 08:13 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

We currently have 4 cats. The eldest (female) is the first cat my wife and I had together. A year later we added a 2nd cat (male). They didn't get along very well, but they didn't fight, nor did they mark their territory.

We added a third cat (male) a year or so after that. The female really doesn't like him (even 11 years later). She'll hiss and run from him, and he definitely bullies her. Still no serious fights nor marking of territory.

Maybe a year after adding the 3rd cat, we added 2 more male kittens (littermates). They were both friendly and didn't cause much of a ruckus in the household.

The 2nd cat eventually ran away (boy, was he miserable indoors). We had the remaining four for around 8 years, until one of the younger ones died from kidney failure and the other died from congestive heart failure.

Around a year ago we added 2 more kittens (brother and sister). They love each other and are quite fond of cat #3 (the bully); they'll play with him, groom him and sleep back-to-back with him. The matriarch still doesn't like anyone. But still no fights nor urination.

So it is possible for cats to coexist. Not much in this world is better than kitties.
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:00 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Awwww, Kronk, that is awesome.
My vet agrees that multi-cat households require finesse, luck, and very clean litter boxes, and even then don't always work out.
My sister and I both have 6 right now, and she has two banished to the outside for marking in the house.
I don't have any current retributional wetting going on, but have certainly had it in the past.