English Vocabulary Test

Coach

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Here's an interesting English vocabulary tester -- and it produces rice donations. I heard about it on NPR this morning.

FreeRice

Coach

I just received an email this morning about the site.... 7700 grains of rice later.. and I still couldn't get past level 40 !! :mad:

Interesting that Reactionary = Ultraconservative
I didn't know that one. There were a number of harder ones once you get over 1000.
Verso = left handed page. interesting...
I got to level 44 and 3100 grains of rice. Lots of fun, thanks!

1460 grains of rice, and level 48... some of those words were difficult!

320 grains, level 42 here. W2R, you must have a fabulous vocabulary!

2Cor521

VOCAB LEVEL: 47
YOUR BEST LEVEL: 47

rice60.gif

You have now donated
860 grains of rice.

320 grains, level 42 here. W2R, you must have a fabulous vocabulary!

2Cor521

Thank you. My mother was an English teacher. I had never heard of many of those words, but in multiple choice, you can look at the roots of the words and that seems to work pretty well sometimes.

I couldn't get beyond 48 with 2340 grains of rice :(
Fun site, thank you!

bumped my head on 50... but good enough to make up for that durned geo quiz.

Just heard the geoquiz guy on NPR, though. Seems that speed makes more of a difference than I thought so I'm going to try it again (and again, and again...) and accuracy below 1,000 kilometers be damned.

(I wonder if a certain level of competitiveness argues against a quiet retirement in the country? I'll give it some thought between world capitals.)

Update:

Damn!! I need a bigger map, or better bifocals.

Last edited:
Thank goodness I didn't mention my own score in my original post -- we have folks with some pretty awesome vocabularies on here, and I'm not one of them :)

From the article, the voice of the designer of the game:

"I myself can't get much above level 45, and it is rare to get above level 48. But there are some people who cruise right up to level 50. So for them we are going to add some super, really ultra, tough words," Breen said.

Coach

49 when I quit. Way to go Caroline!

Took 3000 grains of rice, but made it to level 50.
Phew. Non-latinate, guttural words seem to tend
to be old (obsolete?) words for animals or plants...

Let's just say my vocab... umm, isn't very good! I was back and forth between 33 and 36, and I had to guess at a bunch of them... but I did donate 560 grains of rice. :) As much as I love to read and write, spell pretty well, and know most of the grammar rules, I also know my vocabulary has never been stellar. So much more to improve on.

And in the lead we have CAROLINE at 50......:D
Congratulations!

Thank you kindly, Meadbh! but I "bumped my head" on 50 -- hit the ceiling. I'm down at 49 with Gumby, with my hat off to bpp3.

Back
Top Bottom