Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Entering stasis for a decade
Old 01-12-2016, 05:13 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Entering stasis for a decade

Imagine a world, where we have the science to put you to sleep for 10 years. It's safe at ten years or less, you don't age, no side effects, and relative cheap, let's say 20k a head.

Would you, at any point in your life, sleep a decade to boost investments? You can bring your spouse and anyone else who agrees.

Discuss.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2016, 05:23 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Who is going to do your tax returns, your j$b, maintain your house, take care of your kids/parents? Also, it would probably ruin your golf game.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:36 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

If I was a loner I might be tempted.

As is, I'd say no. I would miss the rest of my oldest 2 kids childhood and my youngest would be 13 when I woke up. Unless DW joined me, she'd probably move on by year 10 .

But waking up and buying an xbox 4 or a playstation 7 would be pretty cool. I wouldn't look forward to learning windows 16 though.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
Who is going to do your tax returns, your j$b, maintain your house, take care of your kids/parents? Also, it would probably ruin your golf game.

Willing suspension of disbelief is very important in thought exercises.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:49 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

if I was unattached I would as I love to see how things turn out, would probably do it a few times over the years because if you can do it once the technology to do it again would only get better
highlow65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:59 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Interesting question!

One could wake to find that they'd have been better off living those 10 years.

You could wake into a world where taxes have doubled on the very rich (which you'd now be) and your gains would be moot.

A lot can happen/go wrong in an ever accelerating changing world. Social, economic, cultural changes are moving faster and faster....10 years could bring 20 years of changes.

Might not be a world you want to live in unless you had 10 years to ease into it.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:07 PM   #7

With my luck, the company I contracted with to do this went bankrupt and the power was turned off, never to awaken again. Or maybe, while I was asleep, there was a conversion to a single, worldwide currency and I missed the exchange grace period.

Nope, I'm happy living in the here and now.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:21 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

All your friends would be 10 years older and on to other things, and they would be changed...

What if you had done this in 2006 and woke up this year?....Just think of all the things you'd have to catch up on .....I agree today in 10 years there seem to be 20+ years of improvements, if not more.

Of course, I'm ten years behind the times now as it is, so it'd probably work for me!
Lcountz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:28 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

No thank you! I'm not optimistic enough to really believe that the world is becoming a kinder, gentler, more enjoyable place to live in as time passes.

I hope I'm wrong! But no, I wouldn't want to skip ahead 10 years like that.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:31 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
Willing suspension of disbelief is very important in thought exercises.
Yes, but for me (and many others, from what I've read/discussed), the key is a single 'suspension of disbelief' (in this case, the fact that you could be suspended for 10 years for $20K and not age, and no side effects ) - and then you have fun with the thought experiment, thinking about the consequences.

IIRC, that concept was covered in this book, which I really enjoyed:

Amazon.com: The Physics of Superheroes (9781592402427): James Kakalios: Books

So I think people made some good observations - DW would have aged 10 years more than me unless she went along. Your kids would have grown and you'd miss something that can't be redone. And when I think back to everything that changed since 2005/6 - I had not done anything with Linux, or Android, or an iPad at that time, and the first iPad was released in just 2010. I think it would be hard to catch up.

Which is why it's somewhat important to keep up with tech, it's easy to get left behind.

Plus all the on-going maintenance of anything you owned, taxes on the portfolio, law changes that require attention, - you'd pretty much need to be completly unattached. And then, there's no guarantee the market would rise after inflation.

But it can still be fun to ponder.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:44 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Interesting question!

One could wake to find that they'd have been better off living those 10 years.

You could wake into a world where taxes have doubled on the very rich (which you'd now be) and your gains would be moot.

A lot can happen/go wrong in an ever accelerating changing world. Social, economic, cultural changes are moving faster and faster....10 years could bring 20 years of changes.

Might not be a world you want to live in unless you had 10 years to ease into it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
With my luck, the company I contracted with to do this went bankrupt and the power was turned off, never to awaken again. Or maybe, while I was asleep, there was a conversion to a single, worldwide currency and I missed the exchange grace period.

Nope, I'm happy living in the here and now.
Being of a similar pessimistic nature, I thought of the similar perils as above.

And let us not forget the chance of ReWahoo's asteroid hitting in the next 10 years, then you miss out on the remaining years of life. Oh well, at least you will be spared the period of panic and desperation, before the terrible death comes.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:40 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Futurama, Fry was cryogenically frozen for 1000 years. On the upside, the 93 cents in his bank account grew to 4.3 billion due to the power of compound interest.

Realistically, it probably would've just gone to the state's unclaimed property program.

On a shorter time frame, there's Captain America in Avengers.

Personally wouldn't want to. Sleeping for 10 years isn't living.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:50 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Imagine having 10 years of bad dreams.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:08 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Doesn't appeal to me at all but if you could stretch it out longer we could try interstellar travel.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:14 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

That would be Idiocracy.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:29 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

This reminds me of an old Twilight Zone (?) episode where a guy embezzles a modest amount of money from his company, instantly admits guilt and is sentenced to 20 years. He got 20 because he wouldn't disclose where the money was or give it back.

The show ends 20 years later with him sitting in a first class cabin on a cruise ship sipping a drink. His last line is "Do you know what $100,000 compounded over 20 years turns into?" (well, back then it was a lot of money)
Old 01-13-2016, 05:37 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
This reminds me of an old Twilight Zone (?) episode where a guy embezzles a modest amount of money from his company, instantly admits guilt and is sentenced to 20 years. He got 20 because he wouldn't disclose where the money was or give it back.

The show ends 20 years later with him sitting in a first class cabin on a cruise ship sipping a drink. His last line is "Do you know what $100,000 compounded over 20 years turns into?" (well, back then it was a lot of money)
I seem to recall a similar show where the guy phones his bank and is told his account balance is in the high millions...then the phone operator interjects and tells him to deposit (something like) $10,000 for the next three minutes.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:42 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
That would be Idiocracy.
+1
I actually just watched this again last week!

Just what I was thinking also, of course the timeframe is a bit longer but at the rate it feels we are going maybe it will only take 10 years!
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 05:58 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucantes View Post
+1
I actually just watched this again last week!

Just what I was thinking also, of course the timeframe is a bit longer but at the rate it feels we are going maybe it will only take 10 years!
And the guy in Idiocracy was supposed to be out for only one year!
Old 01-13-2016, 06:21 AM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
Discuss.
Were you ever a high school teacher?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote