Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
I did have a chance to test drive a Honda Fit this past weekend (not at a dealer, but at a relative's house). I love the magic seats and didn't have any blind spots that some reviews have mentioned. Plus, the rear view is fabulous compared to the Prius C or my current car.

Though, I did find the noise, and not that much pep during acceleration accurate on some reviews.

In the car search, I still feel like Goldilocks However, after the test drive, I my impression of the Fit is higher than I had just by reading.
One of the things I read about the Fit is that they did not get the gas mileage as promised.... might not be true now as this was when they first came out...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
One of the things I read about the Fit is that they did not get the gas mileage as promised.... might not be true now as this was when they first came out...
Yes, I heard of that too. When I was test driving, I asked my sister (testing her car) and she said she gets about 29 mpg (combined). On the Fit (like many newer cars) one can check the mpg since last fill up.

I've heard both that some get less and some get more on a Fit. On a FIT, 40 mpg is a goal as I really think the variance is how one drives. For example, the ones getting low MPG, did they inflate the tires, and not speed?

Of course, 29 mpg today is not on the high end. On that Prius C, I've read where folks drive it without regards to conserving fuel and still get over 40 mpg. I do love the magic seats and visibiity of the Fit though.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

One of my best friends has a Prius that has almost 200k on it. It has needed nothing but gas, oil changes and normal maintenance. The original battery is still there. It averages almost 50mpg. She loves loves loves her Prius!
Old 06-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
One of my best friends has a Prius that has almost 200k on it. It has needed nothing but gas, oil changes and normal maintenance. The original battery is still there. It averages almost 50mpg. She loves loves loves her Prius!
For the oil changes and normal maintenance, does your friend go to the dealer or an independent, non-hybrid shop? For me, that's an important part to the final decision.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

We take ours to whichever generic mechanics we learn to trust. We have about 120000 miles with no battery issues. Our friends has 180000 and still going strong.
Good vehicles in my opinion. I still like my 1988 ford f150 but it is not as fun to drive now with the high gas prices.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:02 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Will the actual $s spent on fuel between the prius and the Fit be significant? If not, you should remove that as a consideration.

Scott Burns had an article a while back on his prius's 10th year anniv
http://assetbuilder.com/scott_burns/prius_at_ten
Old 06-26-2013, 12:14 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Will the actual $s spent on fuel between the prius and the Fit be significant? If not, you should remove that as a consideration.

Scott Burns had an article a while back on his prius's 10th year anniv
AssetBuilder - Prius at Ten - AssetBuilder Inc., Registered Investment Advisor
I try to rationalize that the Prius C and Fit are different cars in that the Prius C's main objective is mileage economy where as the Fit is functionality with's it's ample cargo area, plus the convenient magic seats.

My problem is I want the best of both worlds, but really need to decide what is more important to me. I go back and forth. One day I think the Fit is the way to go, then I drive on the freeway in a traffic jam or get stopped at a railroad crossing and think that it would sure be nice to have the gas engine shut off to conserve fuel.

I know, I'm reasoning around in circles here
Old 06-26-2013, 12:16 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
For the oil changes and normal maintenance, does your friend go to the dealer or an independent, non-hybrid shop? For me, that's an important part to the final decision.
Thanks... that's good to know that not all independent shops freak out when a hybrid car shows up
Old 06-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
On a FIT, 40 mpg is a goal as I really think the variance is how one drives.
<snip>
Of course, 29 mpg today is not on the high end. On that Prius C, I've read where folks drive it without regards to conserving fuel and still get over 40 mpg.
I have a hybrid, a bigger, heavier one than a Prius. I routinely get over 40 mpg without doing anything but driving as I usually do. Prius owners consider me a gas hog since they often get about 50 mpg.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Dealership for most stuff, I think oil changes to Jiffy Lube or something like that.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Old Yeller

My Old Yeller...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg greenie.jpg (551.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 07-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

I pulled the trigger today and traded in Old Yeller.

I got myself a used 2012 Honda Fit, with almost 10K miles from Carmax.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #73
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Sounds like a good choice. I hope you have many happy miles with your new (to you) Fit.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplay View Post
Sounds like a good choice. I hope you have many happy miles with your new (to you) Fit.
Thanks. Yes, it's pretty much new. 10K a lot less than 141K like in my car I traded in
Old 07-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

As the owner of a Fit, I'm sure you will LOVE it!
Old 07-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

As from the thread, I also considered a Prius C, which I think would be a great second car for a two car family -- that is, a commuter car around town or back and forth to work (for those that aren't yet FIRE'd ) that doesn't require much freeway driving.

But one of the reasons I chose the Fit was the extra cargo room and the magic seats feature. Plus, I like the more standard layouts...like dial speedometer instead of digital.

The Fit is more like "jack of all trades" type of car which I really like.

Oh.. I got one in dark blue color.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:25 AM   #77

Quote:
As from the thread, I also considered a Prius C, which I think would be a great second car for a two car family -- that is, a commuter car around town or back and forth to work (for those that aren't yet FIRE'd ) that doesn't require much freeway driving.

But one of the reasons I chose the Fit was the extra cargo room and the magic seats feature. Plus, I like the more standard layouts...like dial speedometer instead of digital.

The Fit is more like "jack of all trades" type of car which I really like.

Oh.. I got one in dark blue color.

Nice color! You can't beat the cargo room. Did you get the Fit or the Fit Sport? Mine is a Sport, and I love everything about it. Lately I've been getting 42-43 mpg around town.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:39 AM   #78

I've had mine for 2 months, and really like it.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Nice color! You can't beat the cargo room. Did you get the Fit or the Fit Sport? Mine is a Sport, and I love everything about it. Lately I've been getting 42-43 mpg around town.
I got the Fit Sport. 42-43 mpg around town is great.

Here's a side view of the car ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fit sport.jpg (434.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #80

Quote:
I got the Fit Sport. 42-43 mpg around town is great.

Here's a side view of the car ...

Nice!! Enjoy it. Just don't tell all your friends and family how much it can hold, or you will find yourself on the receiving end of a lot of phone calls....."hey, you know that furniture/bicycle/lumber I bought? Want to help me get it home?"