Entertaining Thoughts of a Good Used Vechicle

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Okay...so now I'm thinking about getting a good used car. In particular, a Toyota Prius C (I know, it's not as nice as a regular Prius, but I like driving tiny cars).

Here's a question for you. For service, do you take your Prius to a regular ASE certified mechanic. Or do you stick to Toyota dealers. Should ASE mechanics know about hybrids and such? Or do they go "Huh? what's that?" when they open the hood :LOL:

What's the usable life of the battery pack and what does it cost to replace? I have read that some have a life expectancy of 100,000 miles and a replacement cost of more than $6,000. This question has always bothered me in relation to used hybrids.

I haven't bought a car or even test drove one or am totally committed in buying yet (waiting on a second opinion on car repair) and I already have "buyer's remorse."

My mind says I like either a used Prius C or a used Honda Fit. Comparing the two, the Prius C trounce the Fit on gas mileage, but the Fit trounces the Prius C in cargo space. Of course, there are other factors to look at, but those two come to mind for me.

I take my prius (2006 regular model) to a certified Toyota mechanic, but not to the dealer. However, a few weeks ago, I had all my little warning lights come on, and after a trip to my mechanic, it showed an error with the hybrid battery pack that they couldn't do anything with.

I had 141k miles on it, took it over to the dealer, and since I'm in CA (batteries covered to 150k in CA), they replaced the entire battery pack with no cost to me.

I'm still super happy with my prius, and now plan to have it for another 100k miles, since I don't expect to have any other major expenses on it. After 140k miles, I'm not surprised to have an expensive repair, I was just surprised that it was the battery, and was super lucky to have it covered by the warranty.

I'd compare an older regular prius too, since it probably has equivalent cargo space as the fit, but might still get better mileage. I love the cargo room in my prius.

My mind says I like either a used Prius C or a used Honda Fit.

I think these are both absolutely exceptional cars, and honestly, I don't think you can possibly go wrong in choosing either one over the other.

The popular press says that buying used cars isn't always as good a deal as it once was. So, do your research, to make sure that buying used is a better deal for you than buying new.

My mind says I like either a used Prius C or a used Honda Fit. Comparing the two, the Prius C trounce the Fit on gas mileage, but the Fit trounces the Prius C in cargo space. Of course, there are other factors to look at, but those two come to mind for me.

I think these are both absolutely exceptional cars, and honestly, I don't think you can possibly go wrong in choosing either one over the other.

The popular press says that buying used cars isn't always as good a deal as it once was. So, do your research, to make sure that buying used is a better deal for you than buying new.
+1

The gas mileage advantage is city stop and go driving, not highway, if I recall a previous discussion on the Prius. Have you driven each? How do they feel?

+1

The gas mileage advantage is city stop and go driving, not highway, if I recall a previous discussion on the Prius. Have you driven each? How do they feel?

One data point, I get 50+ in-town and highway in a 2011 Prius. YMMV...

One data point, I get 50+ in-town and highway in a 2011 Prius. YMMV...
From other threads I thought the highway miles were all gasoline powered while the city stop and go had a component of battery, with the better mileage favoring city.

From other threads I thought the highway miles were all gasoline powered while the city stop and go had a component of battery, with the better mileage favoring city.

Not in my prius, although some other hybrids work differently.

Basically the prius has a small electric motor, so as long as you're only pressing the accelerator lightly, it will only use battery power. Any time you press it harder, it uses gas.

So, stop and go is really bad, unless you can accelerate really slowly. It's much better to accelerate once, and maintain a moderate speed. "city driving" of long stretches of 35 mph would be ideal, but that kind of traffic doesn't happen around me at all. I usually get slightly better highway mileage than my city driving, which is lots of stop signs and stop lights.

The big advantage of the hybrid is in stop and go traffic because of the regenerative braking and engine off at stops. My hybrid gets a little better mileage than an equivalent 4 cylinder during highway operation due to the Atkinson cycle engine which is a little more efficient than an Otto cycle.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/ford-escape2.htm

Last edited:

Not quite. They differ by make but my hybrid has the battery cutting in and out at highway speeds. Going up a hill the battery often provides some power for much of the climb. And, as mentioned before, the electric motor's power curve allows the gasoline engine to operate using the more efficient Atkins cycle since the electric motor can compensate for the weaker areas of the Atkins cycle.

Exactly how they balance this is up to the computer's programming.

Here's a NYT article on tips for buying and servicing a used hybrid car Tips for Buying and Servicing a Used Hybrid Car - NYTimes.com

omni

Thanks for the article. There aren't any qualified hybrid repair facilities ner me according to the link. I guess that makes me tied to a Toyota dealer if I want specific hybrid work which is another factor in the equation that I really haven't thought about much. I don't like service at dealers.

FWIW, the two reasons I bought a Honda Fit Sport were the cargo space and the mpg. I average 35-38 mpg around town, and 41-45 highway. The cargo space is huge.

Honda Fits tend to maintain their value, like all Hondas, so you might not save much by buying used.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

FWIW, the two reasons I bought a Honda Fit Sport were the cargo space and the mpg. I average 35-38 mpg around town, and 41-45 highway. The cargo space is huge.

Honda Fits tend to maintain their value, like all Hondas, so you might not save much by buying used.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

I've found myself going back and forth between a the Fit and Prius C. I've actually listed out pros/cons of my three options. 1) to go ahead and repair and keep what I have (almost 20 year old Neon), 2) Fit and 3) Prius C.

Some of my thoughts:

Option 1 (fix Neon):

Pros:

- easy way out..Just tell place to fix it, and pick up the car when ready

- if fixed, will get my money's worth before another auto over the last year or two I've already plunked down pretty much to keep the car maintained and repaired

Cons:

- the car is a death trap. One accident and splat.

- repair could be a lot for a very old car

- can I be confident another big repair is not just around the corner?

Option 2 (Honda Fit -- I haven't driven one but have been in my sister's Honda Fit):

Pros:

- I really like the layout of the dash. Seems very well layed out

- excellent cargo (love them magic seats)

- great visibility

- can get repaired at any repair shop

- very safe car

Cons:

- MPG not as good as Prius C

Option 3 (Prius C - I haven't driven one)

Pros:

- Great gas mileage

- help save the world (I like being green)

- very safe car

Cons:

- most expensive outlay of three options

- will need specialized repairs (at a dealer?) since it's hybrid

This is mostly true, though as others have mentioned, the motor/battery can provide some boost under some conditions (I wasn't aware that was a significant effect, but it might be).

But there is another effect. In a hybrid, the engine can be quite a bit smaller, since it relies on the motor/battery for some of the acceleration power. It doesn't take a very large engine to move a car at 70 mph, but it takes a much larger engine to provide the acceleration we expect. In general, hybrids have smaller engines than their equivalent non-hybrids. A smaller engine will be more efficient when cruising - lower pumping losses and lower friction losses with smaller pistons, etc.

All else being equal, a 2.0 liter engine will provide better cruising mpg than a 2.5 liter engine. Apparently, enough to offset the extra motor/battery weight of a hybrid.

I wasn't aware of the Atkinson cycle that travelover mentioned. Sounds like it is basically a valve timing thing which is adjusted to be more efficient during lower power modes. Looks like that can also be used in non-hybrids:

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD Test - Review - Car and Driver

The heart of the efficiency is the Skyactiv 2.0-liter four. At times, thanks to a wide-ranging variable-valve-timing system, it can operate as an Atkinson-cycle engine by *tardily closing the intake valves. This diminishes the effective compression ratio while maintaining the high, 13.0:1 expansion ratio. Partial-load efficiency gains come from the wider throttle openings (and reduced pumping losses) necessary to provide the desired power.

I learned something, and I'm still on my first cup of coffee!

-ERD50

Some of my thoughts:

Option 1 (fix Neon):

Cons:

- the car is a death trap. One accident and splat.

I can relate to the "splat" factor! Prior to owning the Fit I drove a little Honda Civic hatchback for 17 years. Great little car in every way, EXCEPT that I would have been a goner if I'd been hit by anything larger than a tonka toy. The only airbag was for the driver's seat.

Option 2 (Honda Fit -- I haven't driven one but have been in my sister's Honda Fit):

Pros:

- very safe car

Cons:

- MPG not as good as Prius C

I should have listed safety as the other reason I bought the Fit. Very high marks.

As you say, however, it will never compete with the Prius in mileage.

I think you will do your frugal bit for the environment with either the Honda Fit or the Prius C and the final choice is a personal preference.

I have a 2012 Prius. I test drove the Prius C prior to testing the Pruis. I did not like the Pruis C. It has much less power than the regular Prius. I felt like I might need to get out and push. The gas mileage offered on the C is only a couple of mpg better than the Prius.

I love my Pruis and regularly get more mpg than what was promised. It has plenty of power and is roomy, but still handles like a small car. It also gets tops on safety ratings. That was very important for me.

I was told that the batteries in the new third generation Prius may never have to be replaced. They said that the only batteries replaced so far were damaged in accidents. The third generation Prius is now on it's fourth year, so you should be able to find plenty of used ones available.

I have a 2012 Prius. I test drove the Prius C prior to testing the Pruis. I did not like the Pruis C. It has much less power than the regular Prius. I felt like I might need to get out and push. The gas mileage offered on the C is only a couple of mpg better than the Prius.

I love my Pruis and regularly get more mpg than what was promised. It has plenty of power and is roomy, but still handles like a small car. It also gets tops on safety ratings. That was very important for me.

I was told that the batteries in the new third generation Prius may never have to be replaced. They said that the only batteries replaced so far were damaged in accidents. The third generation Prius is now on it's fourth year, so you should be able to find plenty of used ones available.

Thanks for your "review :) of the C. As a Prius owner, perhaps you can answer my question about where do you get your car serviced? Do you go to a local non-dealer shop for routine things like oil changes, tire rotation and then the dealer for hybrid related work? Or do you stick to the dealer service only?

I'm probably in the minority as I like driving tiny (subcompact) cars, but perhaps I should give the regular Prius a closer look.

My Prius is only 10 months old so I haven't had anything done to it. While it is in warranty I will go back to the dealership for service. I really like the Toyota dealership near my home, so I will probably take it back to them after the warranty period.

I also enjoy driving a small car. Prior to the Prius I drove a Toyota Yaris. It was a great little car. I just didn't feel safe in it since it didn't have side airbags. They do come equiped with side airbags, I just didn't get them on mine. My Yaris was a two door hatchback and I had no way of knowing that I would have a small grandchild to transport when I originally got it. So for safety and convenience I went to a four door Prius.

I would recommend that you drive both a Pruis and a Prius C before you buy. I get around 55-58 mpg around town with mine. I have learned the best way to drive and that helps boost it up from the 51city/48 hwy promised. There are some excellant articles on the internet about driving and increasing your mileage with a Prius.

Before you buy the Prius C, make sure to read the Consumer Reports review of it (in your library if you aren't a subscriber). It is a fundamentally different car from the Prius and is based on the Yaris chassis which is much less refined.

I have a 2010 Prius and have never had any work done on it other than routine oil change service (which I have done at the dealer as it's free - part of the deal when I bought the car). I love driving a small car also (my previous car was a Ford Focus) but the Prius is my favorite car ever. It feels small to drive but carries 4 adults comfortably on a road trip and with the rear seats down, I can haul decent cargo (like a bookshelf and desk from Ikea yesterday).

I have a friend with a 2003 (original model) Prius and it still has the original battery. Of course, YMMV.

Priuschat.com is the best source of info on Priii of all types.

Good luck with your decision!

Back
Top Bottom