Join Early Retirement Today
Old 06-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I tend to find things to do through serendipity, waiting for something to come along kinda like Don describes.

I think us all being big readers has a lot to do with it--whenever I come across an interesting review of a book, I try to reserve it from the library right away.
Hobbies/activities are often random for me too, some just follow from earlier pursuits. I am moderately knowledgeable on wine (and enjoy in moderation) but I've never liked beer much. But I decided last Fall that maybe I needed to learn more about all the different styles, if for no other reason than to be able to order craft beers I'd like in restaurants. I read books, bought very possible style to sample, and learned a lot. Still don't care for beer, but I learned a lot and know all the styles now, and what I "like" (malty, low ABU beers, like wheat beers) and don't (IPAs & hop monsters).

I've had a bucket list since I was about 30. Just over 70 complete, with about 50 yet to be ticked off - many of these are hobbies/activities. I can think of things I want to try faster than I can complete them all!

And the library book note made me laugh, I do the same thing. I probably forgot to read books of interest in the past, but with my iPad that doesn't happen anymore. Whenever I stumble on a book I want to read, I request it at the library. If it's not available, I download a (free) sample of the book in iBooks to remind me. It stays there until I find the book. 'Ain't technology grand.'

No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
If it's not available, I download a (free) sample of the book in iBooks to remind me. It stays there until I find the book. 'Ain't technology grand.'
Aha, a new technique. Much better than calendar reminders to check the library. You can even get a pre-read to see if you really want it.

Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets
Not buying, making
You are inquisitive. You collect things. You might collect information
Someone once dissuaded me from analyzing and thinking about things even if I enjoyed it, because it's not creating anything.

It's true I think: the highest form of enthusiasm only seems to come during creation.

Now it is more like an assigned set of duties I keep at
That happened when I tried to force myself do to a particular hobby for 60 minutes a day for 60 days. At the end I could not believe how disgusted I became with what used to be the highlight of my day.
a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #24
Originally Posted by a View Post
I find myself randomly falling into periods where I'm extremely interested in something. Sleep deprivation effects fall away and I feel that there is no greater gift than the opportunity to live and engage in this pursuit. How can I fall into this wonderful state more often?
I have no idea. I am insatiably curious about a multitude of subjects, and in retirement found myself in this state far too often, staying awake for very long times to pursue them until I essentially keeled over from exhaustion at some random time. I have found a solution to my problem (perhaps the inverse of yours), which is setting the alarm each morning so that I know I HAVE to quit and go to bed at a specific time because I know that alarm will awaken me at 7 and I know how much sleep I need.

So, perhaps throw away your alarm clock, and arrange it so that your spouse, pets, and so on do not disturb your bouts of enthusiasm? That is all I can come up with since it is very hard for me to imagine myself experiencing your dilemma.
"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:25 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
I am a serial hobbyist a well. I tend to stick with a hobby for a few years before moving on, although I have a few perennial hobbies. I keep my enthusiasm up by learning new things, acquiring new skills, or discovering new places.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets
I study such diverse topics as a hobby sometimes it is almost ridiculous, but it is my hobby to learn new things, but the new things I learn must in some way enhance my needs or the knowledge base that I already have. Over the last few years my studies have been focused more my expected needs in retirement. Sometimes I actually create problems just so I can solve them (mathematical not by breaking something LOL)...

If you want someone to believe in you - First you have to believe in yourself and then you go from there...
Semiretired2008 is offline   Reply With Quote