ER and new career?

Hi Ed! I read your post with just a twinge of envy.
You see, neither of us has a pension and we must find
and pay for 100% of our health insurance. I also have
one child still in college. So, ER requires eternal
vigilance in my case.

Hey Bill !

Well, I just got a chance to read this thread, very interesting ! The thing that caught my eye in the original post was the idea of ditching the tech job to drive a truck. I'm a techie as well, although I am quite ready to move on. I have a friend who is an OTR truck driver and has offered to train me to drive and help me get my CDL. I'm in a similar position to you in that it's hard to shed the golden handcuffs. This downshifting idea has occured to me several times. For those of us who live frugally with little or not debt, it is an option. If we've saved dilligently, we can add cash flow from that savings to add to our new lower paying career. I'm younger (33) and will definitely opt out of this box living soon. The Johngalts of the world inspire me, he seems to be on my shoulder yelling "Just leap !".

Anyway, I'll be interested in the decision you make. It sounds like it's not a financial one, but an emotional one. I'd like to hear some more Stories about downshifting as well.

johngalt, I know you've posted your story in general elsewhere, but more detail about your situation when you ER'd would interest me and I'll bet others, as to what you had and what made you decide. If it's already been posted, a pointer will do.

Cheers !

John

You are right Panhead. The decision has become more emotional than financial. The entire decision may be made easier for me as the company will have a voluntary package to leave employment. No details, but the rumors are fast and furious. Should happen before end of year. The package would give me that extra comfort level that I desire.

The debt and medical insurance is not an issue. Insurance coverage is pretty good in today's dollars. If and when the package comes, I will update everyone on the decision. Thanks all for the input.

Well, here is the update I promised back in September. The "package" did come out and I am going. Last day is this Friday.

Things have been fast and furious, trying to get all of my ducks lined up, paper work processed, work transitioned, and projects handed off. This week, I am just waiting for the last day. Nice severance pay coming in 2004, left over vacation pay coming next month in December and starting new part time job next Monday. Did I ER? No, the part time job will keep me busy, but, I am okay with that.

I have studied this thing from every angle possible and I believe I am prepared more than I thought possible. Thanks goes out to this board and its members for the words of wisdom/personal experiences. The funny thing was, once I made the decision to leap (really was a no brainer), I was able to sleep very soundly. I know the choice was a perfect fit for me.

I will continue to monitor this board (now that I have more time on my hands) and contribute as I can. Thanks again.

Let us know how the part time job works out. I started
part time work pretty quickly after I hung it up and was
not happy with it. But, could be a lot of reasons for that.
Later on I landed a part time gig that I would still be
doing had my employer not decided to switch it
to full time status. A dream job, but it only lasted 2
years ending in 1998. That is when I decided to make
my retirement complete. No regrets!

John Galt

Cut_Throat:
Just curious..how does the rest of your family adjust to your ER status? I don't see much of that discussion in this forum.
Regards

Thanks Cut_Throat:

I am in the software industry also..I know what you mean.

If wife continues to work, how does the husband cope with it emotionally..I mean any guilt feelings? Just curious.

Regards

Following my custom of commenting on any
of my good friend Cut-Throat's posts :)

I have some guilt about my wife still working while
I pretty much do what I want. Here is how I rationalize it. There was a big imbalance in our financial
positions when we married (2 years ago). This will
never go away. I view it that I worked pretty hard for a long time,
and now my money is working. Also, my wife is 5 years younger, so..........Finally, she wants to have her
independence and not rely on me for "walking around
money". My view is some day soon she will retire, or at least semiretire and then we will mainly live on my
money. I will confess that while I handle the day to day
car, yard and fit-it issues, I hate housework and ignore it as long as I can usually.

Congratulations on your ER!!

Each decision is a trade off and something must be given up to get something new. I ER'd this year and had the "opportunity" to work part time at my prevous employer. This gave me a chance to second look at my decision to ER. I miss some of my co-workers, but the place is still messed up and not likely to get better. Just reconfirmed that it was time to go.

earlyout

It's not all work though - I did sneak out to the Mississippi River today for some great Smallmouth Bass Fishing for a few hours. :D
Kind of OT, but a question--is the Mississppi up there where you live clean enough that you feel ok eating lots of those fish? Are the bag limits pretty good?

Mikey

Hey Cut-Throat! Why do you not eat the fish you catch?
Unless I am trophy fishing, I keep and consume my
catch. Is it a concern about pollutants, or just your way
of protecting our environmental resources? Given your
liberal inclinations I suspect the latter.

John Galt

Catch and release has been increasing here (LA) over recent years- especially among commercial sport fishermen(read tourist trade). Individual fishermen(that I know) practice catch and eat - a few inlander's - bass buster's with metalflake boats and all the toy's practice catch and release.

Eco tourism of various forms - not just fishing has become a big business down here.

To be clear, I think catch and release is fine. However,
I mostly keep my fish to eat. Not doing so would alter
my enjoyment of the sport I think. I once thought
seriously about taking up muskie fishing in a big way,
and would have adopted C and R if I had. When I hunted I enjoyed eating wild game very much. One of
the reasons I quit was there is no choice about C and R
in hunting.

MR John Galt

Hunting C and R is really P(point) and C(click) - then you get store bought food in camp. My nephew on R and R went on African Safari(tourist style) - stalk, take pictures, go back to camp for food and entertainment. They've been doing that for a while - merchant marine buddy did the same thing ten years ago.

Cut-Throat

Tanzania? and Kenya? - they also climbed Mt, Kilimanjaro - and BTY - women take high altitude beter than men. The nice thing about military leave - it's long!

Hi Bill, You wouldn't by chance be a VZ employee? Some of the details mentioned in your post made it appear that you might be. I also pulled the plug on 11/21, and all I can say is that I have never felt more relaxed and confident in my decision. I certainly agonized for several weeks after the package was announced, and I guess the biggest concern for me was leaving with only 64% medical coverage. Currently, I plan to work part time and hopefully in another 4-5 years can comfortably totally retire.

Good luck and enjoy your new life!

Doug

DFW_M5 (Doug),

Yes, VZ was the one. A little over two weeks ago and still smiling. Fortunately, I passed the 30 year mark (with the help of unused VT) and have the full 80% medical benefit. The part time work will keep me busy and in the business loop.

Three years ago, we lived in the DFW area (Highland Village). Moved to Arizona and telecommuted for that entire three year time frame.

Best of luck to you in your "retirement" years. Glad you found this board and the Retire Early Home Page. Great information here.

Sign me Smiling in Phoenix.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom