Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-23-2008, 11:44 AM   #181
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here's a cucumber salad recipe that I mentioned in passing sometime ago in another thread, and that Audrey requested the recipe for. I finally got around to getting it posted there. Then I thought maybe I should also put it here in the Recipe Treasure Trove! (duh! )

So here it is:

"Kansas Cucumber Salad"

1 cup Mayo

1/4 cup sugar

4 teaspoons vinegar

1/2 teaspoon dill weed

4 medium cucumbers peeled & sliced thin (about 1/4" thick...give or take)

3 green onions chopped

Mix it all together, chill, and enjoy!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2008, 06:57 PM   #182

Winter Squash Soup

4 cups peeled and cooked winter squash (I boiled it)
1 cup skim milk
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup vegetable stock
1 cup onion sauteed with garlic in olive oil
1/2 tsp herbs ( I used turkey seasoning)
1/2 tsp salt

Blend all together and heat. I used squash from my garden but I think any winter squash will make this wonderful. Hope you enjoy!
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:39 PM   #183
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got all caught up in the thread, then went to download the cookbook and it's gone! Is it still available?
Old 02-11-2009, 03:39 AM   #184
Full time employment: Posting here.

Some new menu ideasThis is why you're fat.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:24 AM   #185
Recycles dryer sheets

Black Angus Steak Soup.

I have been searching for the recipe for Black Angus Steak Soup without sucess. The restaurant won't give out the recipe, has anybody ever cloned the steak soup?

mP
Disappointed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:18 AM   #186

I dont have time to search but you might get lucky in this group of sites secret recipes black angus soup - Google Search=
Old 02-11-2009, 06:20 PM   #187
Give me a forum ...

Sadly, that Sloppy Joe an a Krispy Kreme may be doomed to extinction - 15 Companies That Might Not Survive 2009 - Yahoo! Finance. Use of a Dunkin Donut would be a weak imitation.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:58 PM   #188
Recycles dryer sheets

Black Bean Soup
From The Old Guy

This is an adaptation of the recipe in James Beard’s 1972 classic American Cookery. The original called for split bone-in ham shanks, beef/veal bones, and over 10 hours’ cooking time. Ya could starve to death by then. This version is table-ready in less than 3 hours, ages well for re-heating, and can be frozen by the quart for those winter afternoons when nothing else will warm the bones. The recipe yields approximately 5 quarts of soup.

INGREDIENTS
1 bag dried black beans (16oz)
6 tablespoons butter
2 large onions, coarsely cut
2 cloves crushed garlic or 1 tsp minced garlic
3 bay leaves
4 whole cloves
3 ham steaks (½” thick; approx 8 oz each)
10-12 peppercorns
2 tablespoons flour
4 ~14 ounce cans chicken broth
4 cups water
1 ~16-ounce can whole kernel corn
2 ~16-ounce cans black beans
9-10 drops sherry rum peppers sauce (optional)
½ cup Madeira (sherry can be substituted)
Garnish
Chopped parsley
2 or 3 finely chopped hard-boiled eggs
Salsa
Sour cream
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
P One day prior: Soak the dried black beans overnight in enough water to cover them. Add more water as needed; stir occasionally to mix beans & water.
P The next day, slice one of the ham steaks in ¾” cubes. Slice the remaining ham two steaks into ½” cubes, and set aside separately.
P Melt the butter in a stock pot; then add the onions, garlic, bay leaves, & cloves. Sauté for 3 minutes or until the onions become translucent. Add the flour and peppercorns and blend well; cook for 3-4 additional minutes. Add the chicken broth, water and ¾” ham cubes and bring to a boil.
P Strain the soaked black beans, add them to the pot, reduce the heat and simmer for 2-2 ½ hours, stirring as needed to keep everything from settling & becoming too thick. Add just enough water to keep the beans completely covered at the original level. Stop simmering when the beans have softened and the entire mixture is dark brown/black in color.
P Remove from the heat, discard the bay leaves, and put all of the soup through a food processor. Remember that your intention is to fully purée the mixture. This process may need to be done in small enough batches to keep the puréed beans from flying around the room; be careful.
P Return the pureed soup to the stock pot, add the cans of black beans for texture, and (optionally) add the can of whole kernel corn. Add the ½” ham cubes, Madeira & sherry bitters, and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
P If serving immediately, garnish with the parsley. Offer the chopped eggs, salsa and sour cream as optional garnishes on the table.
P If freezing, ladle into quart-sized, labeled soup containers and freeze after allowing to cool.
P This soup should be eaten within six months if frozen.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:41 AM   #189

Dumplings:
2 cups (500 mL) sifted cake-and-pastry_flour
2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley
4 tsp (20 mL) baking powder
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
2 tbsp (25 mL) butter
3/4 cup (175 mL) milk (approx)

Using this recipe for dumplings my dumplings continually come out soggy and falling apart,i drop the mixture into a hot simmering pot of chicken stew and cover for a half hour,what am i doing wrong?Mom never had this problem
Old 05-04-2009, 11:04 PM   #190

I had great luck with an improvised side dish yesterday, so here it is:

Herbed orzo (serves 2-4, depending on appetite)
1 cup orzo pasta
1 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley.

Cook orzo according to package directions. When done, drain and transfer to a serving bowl. Mix the other ingredients in thoroughly. Salt to taste. Serve warm.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:55 PM   #191
Recycles dryer sheets

Jambo, be sure to use regular flour, and knead it several times before rolling it out.

Kneading activates the gluten and will hold the dumpling together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Dumplings:
2 cups (500 mL) sifted cake-and-pastry_flour
2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley
4 tsp (20 mL) baking powder
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
2 tbsp (25 mL) butter
3/4 cup (175 mL) milk (approx)

Using this recipe for dumplings my dumplings continually come out soggy and falling apart,i drop the mixture into a hot simmering pot of chicken stew and cover for a half hour,what am i doing wrong?Mom never had this problem
PX4sc40sw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:36 AM   #192

Good site for some video BBQ tutorials Fiery Foods and Barbecue SuperSite - Barbecue America TV

And thanks PX, coincidentally i'm making a big pot of chicken soup for supper tonight,lets see if i can perfect those dumplings.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:30 PM   #193

Not my recipe but made it tonight. Really tasty on a grilled pork tenderloin.

Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Spicy Chile-Coconut Tomato Salad Recipe : Tyler Florence : Food Network
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:42 AM   #194

Ben's meat sauce
Serves 6-8

My friend Ben has made this recipe every Sunday night for years.

Ben's meat sauce

1lb hot Italian sausage
2 28oz cans roasted tomatoes
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
5-6 cloves garlic, minced
3 stalks celery, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
3/4 lb mushrooms, sliced
1tsp crushed red pepper
1 dried smoked ancho chili, chopped
1/2 cup red wine
2 bay leaves
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp Chacherie's seasoning

depending on the Italian sausage:
1/4 tsp sage
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 - 1/2 tsp basil
1/4 - 1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp anise

Remove sausage from its skins and saute in a large pot. Set aside. Italian sausage can vary a lot in how it is spiced. Taste the browned meat. If it is lacking spices, add sage, thyme, basil, anise and oregano as needed.

In a separate skillet, saute mushroom in olive oil over high heat in two batches and transfer to the meat. Deglaze the skillet with some red wine and add to the meat. Saute onions in olive oil over low heat. Add bell pepper when onions are translucent, then add garlic. Continue to saute until golden color begins to appear. Add Chacheries, black pepper, crushed red pepper, and chopped smoked pepper. Saute for another minute. Deglaze pan with red wine. Add to meat mixture.

Add tomatoes, celery and carrots. Simmer covered for 3-4 hours. Uncover last 1/2 hour to thicken the sauce if needed. Serve with over pasta, garnish with parmesan cheese.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Vin de Noix, Texas-style
Old 08-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #195

Vin de Noix, Texas-style

This is a traditional country French recipe made with green walnuts, but I make it with pecans instead of walnuts. The hardest part of this recipe is the bottles. You need a big one to make the stuff. You will be steeping a mixture of alcohol and tannic acid for 3 months, so I wouldn't use plastic. I found a big enough "decorative" bottle at TJ Maxx for not much. Later, you will also need about a dozen 16oz (or so) bottles to decant it into. If you plan ahead, you can save vinegar or other bottles. If not, Pier 1 sells inexpensive decorative bottles that work fine.

40 green pecans, picked while husks are still closed, the shell soft, and still milky inside
5 bottles cheap red wine
1 bottle cheap vodka (or brandy)
2 lbs sugar
zest of one lemon or orange
4 cloves (optional)
1 vanilla pod (optional)
1 ground nutmeg (optional)

Chop the nuts coarsely. (Be very careful not to get the juice on anything. The stains never come out.) Mix all ingredients in a large glass bottle and seal tightly. Store in a cool, dark place for 60 to 90 days, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust sweetness. Add a little sugar if too dry or some red wine if too sweet. Strain through cloth into bottles and refrigerate. Allow to rest for another month before drinking. We first drink it at Thanksgiving.

Serve cold in a small glass as an aperitif. This recipe produces more than you will ever drink in a year, but it makes a nice gift.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:00 PM   #196

Grits a Ya Ya

This recipe comes from the Fish House in Pensacola Fl. For you northern types that have never had grits, or have and didn't like them, you might think again. As you can tell by the recipe it is NOT LOW FAT. As you will most likely use quick grits rather than regular they will cook in 7 min not 40. Therefore, you should have all the Ya Ya ingredients ready before you start the grits. We ended up cooking the separately. In fact, you could cook the Ya Ya first.

WARNING - DON'T EAT THIS PRIOR TO WED. WEIGH IN!

I had to change the original recipe as I could not find 'Dixie' grits. I subsituted Quick grits. The change is in italics.

Smoked Gouda Cheese Grits
  • 1 quart of chicken stock ----- 3 cups for quick grits
  • 1 cup heavy cream --------- 3/4 cups for quick grits
  • 1 pound Dixie Lily grits ---- 1 cup quick grits
  • 1/4 pound shredded smoked Gouda cheese -- 1/4 to 1/2 lbs (I found several recipes on the web using different amounts. for us Mo is better.
The Ya Ya
  • 8 strips of applewood-smoked bacon, diced
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon minced shallots
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • White wine
  • 1 pound peeled and deveined jumbo shrimp
  • 1 portobello mushroom cap, sliced
  • 1/4 cup diced scallions
  • 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 3 cups smoked Gouda cheese grits
  • Salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste
First, make your grits. Run the chicken stock into a thick-bottomed saucepan and turn on high til it boils. Mix in the grits and stir like crazy. Reduce to a simmer and allow to cook 40 minutes, (7 min for quick grits) stirring occasionally. Add cream if you need more liquid. Then tumble in the butter, drizzle in the rest of the cream and stir till it's all in the family. Then shake in the shredded cheese and stir very well till it's all nice and smooth.

While your grits cook, bring a large saucepan to medium heat. Add bacon and cook for about 3 minutes, then add garlic and shallots. Saute and then add butter and a splash of white wine. When the butter is half-melted, add the shrimp. When the downsides of the shrimp become white, flip them and add mushrooms, scallions and spinach. Saute for 2 minutes. Remove the shrimp, Pour in heavy cream and let simmer while stirring. When reduced by one third, add salt, pepper and hot sauce. Return shrimp to the sauce and combine. Spoon the sauce and shrimp onto heaping mounds of cheese grits.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:07 PM   #197

Homemade Pizza on the grill easy meal Healthy

Ingredients

1 jalapeno
1 medium whole wheat Boboli crust
1/4 med size red or yellow onion
1/4 lb lean ground turkey
1/4 roasted red peppers
8oz fresh mozzarella
2oz shredded cheddar
Fresh Basil and Oregano to taste
16 Kalamata olives halved

Brown 1/4 lb 99% lean turkey. Season it with Chipolte pepper,garlic powder,salt,pepper and half a lime at the end of cooking. Let cool.

Layer mozzarella on pizza. Salt and pepper to taste usually fresh has very little salt.

Layer on ingriedents to satisfaction do not overload. No particular order. Save extras for a salad.

Finish with a sharp cheddar cheese sprinkling. Set grill for 375. Cook pizza while turning for around 10 minutes grill on medium. Let crust get a bit crunchy.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:53 AM   #198
Give me a forum ...

For those who trust Martha Stewart, Sirius Radio is offering a FREE: THANKSGIVING HOTLINE COOKBOOK.

The complete book is a downloadable 56-page PDF file -- each of the chapters can be downloaded separately.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Turkey Burgers
Old 12-31-2009, 06:56 AM   #199
Recycles dryer sheets

Turkey Burgers

I came up with this recipe and it is too good not to share. I'm a hamburger lover (take over a filet anyday) but these are great. Wife actually prefers themto a hamburg.

Happy New Year

W

ACTUALLY DELICIOUS TURKEY BURGERS
Ingredients
40 oz (2 1/2lbs) pounds ground turkey (you can use 3 lbs)
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/4 cup finely diced onion
¼ cup finely diced red or yellow bell pepper (or combo)
1/2tsp dried parsley
½ tsp granulated garlic
¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tsp (bit more actually) worcestershire sauce
1 tsp (bit more actually) soy sauce
2 egg whites

Directions
In a large bowl, mix ground turkey and all the ingredients well.
Be a man use your hands.. Form into patties.
Cook the patties in a medium skillet over medium heat or on grill
at 350 degrees, turning once, to an internal temperature of 170
degrees F. Place in Aluminum foil for 5 minutes.

Optional Topping (we use when we don’t have a roll)
½ Bell pepper
½ Tomato (roma chop the best)
2 TBSP chopped onion
½ TBSP Red Wine Vinegar

Dice up the veggies (onions a little smaller)
Mix in the Vinegar
Top the Burgers with the mixture
wallygator69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #200
Give me a forum ...

calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote