Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #241

ohyes, thanks for the recipe!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #242
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This won't please the low-carb/no white stuff crowd but it is one of the easiest breads to make, smells heavenly, and is fabulous toasted with butter, jam, or honey. 5 simple ingredients: throw them all together, let rise, bake. A real comfort food.

English Muffin Bread
5 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 3/4 cups very warm water
1 1/2 pkgs quick rise yeast
1 T salt
1 1/2 T sugar

Mix together until just moistened. Spoon into two loaf pans. Let rise until double, about 1 hour. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes; for the last 10 minutes of baking brush with melted butter. Cool completely before slicing.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #243
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For all of you tomato lovers...a very simple side dish
For today's lunch, I made a small salad of fresh homegrown spinach, feta cheese and croutons and placed the tomatoes on the plate alongside the greens.

Marinated Tomatoes

3 large very ripe red tomatoes
Italian salad dressing
fresh basil leaves
fresh ground black pepper (and crushed hot red pepper if you like some zip)
Sealable plastic or glass container

Slice tomatoes 1/2 inch thick, using a serrated knife. Leave seeds and pulp intact.
Pour a small amount of dressing on bottom of container.
Place 1 layer of tomatoes, add enough dressing to cover. Pinch and roll basil leaves between thumb and forefinger, and place 2 or 3 pieces on each tomato slice. Grind a generous amount of black pepper on top. If using hot red pepper, add to taste. Place 2nd layer of tomatoes, repeat dressing, basil and pepper. Repeat layering for all remaining tomatoes. Make sure the top layer has dressing covering it.
Cover tightly and marinate in refrigerator for at least 2 days.
Serve cold as a side dish with salad greens. The marinade can be used for the greens.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #244
Give me a forum ...

Tonight's feast was Limb Chicken a la Francais:

Take 3 limb chickens cut into serving pieces and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Brown in a generous amount of olive oil with a dozen crushed cloves of garlic. Add 1 pint of white wine, a tsp of rosemary, 2 tsp of thyme and a small pinch of saffron. Cover and simmer until tender.

This recipe would work with a regular chicken (or two) that had been skinned. Should be a good dish for rabbit, too.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #245
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Tonight's feast was Limb Chicken a la Francais:

Take 3 limb chickens cut into serving pieces and season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Brown in a generous amount of olive oil with a dozen crushed cloves of garlic. Add 1 pint of white wine, a tsp of rosemary, 2 tsp of thyme and a small pinch of saffron. Cover and simmer until tender.

This recipe would work with a regular chicken (or two) that had been skinned. Should be a good dish for rabbit, too.
Hey, Doc, I HEARD that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BugsBunny.jpg (3.4 KB, 239 views)
Old 12-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #246
Give me a forum ...

I had never heard of Limb Chickens so I Googled it....squirrel?

I guess that would explain the large quantities of wine and garlic?

Pardon my ignorance, Brewer, but if you shot the squirrels, how do you get the buckshot out?

Disclaimer: I hunt, too, but in stores.....
Old 12-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #247
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

Pardon my ignorance, Brewer, but if you shot the squirrels, how do you get the buckshot out?

Actually, I have made sciurus niger several ways, including as a stand in for hare/rabbit in hassenpfeffer. Next up is limb chicken pot pie.

I like lots of wine and garlic, generally speaking. It isn't to cover up the flavor of the squirrels. Actually, the reason people refer to it as limb chicken is that the meat is a lot like dark chicken or turkey meat (I think it is closest to rabbit, personally). DD has told me (and many other people outside our house, to DW's chagrin) that squirrel is her favorite food. Hey, it is organic, free range, low impact protein.

For preference, I use a .22 rifle and take headshots (no wasted meat). Where I hunt most often does not allow the use of anything but shotguns (it is very flat and if you missed with a rifle the bullet could go for a mile or more and hat anything). There I use #5 birdshot. It is potent enough to knock the chickens out of the huge cottonwood trees there and the shot usually exits the critter. I also aim for the head, although with a shotgun that is an intention rather than a reality sometimes). I then look the meat over carefully as I clean them and prepare the dish. I was using smaller sizes of shot, but it left the meat kind of "crunchy."

If someone offers you fox or gray squirrel, try it. Its quite tasty.

- Will Rogers
Old 12-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #248
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Take 3 limb chickens...
Quote:
I was wondering about that-- most of the chickens I've seen only have two limbs!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #249

Quote:

I'm going to have to warm up to the notion of preparing any recipe that begins with "shoot three squirrels in the head".

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #250
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
I'm going to have to warm up to the notion of preparing any recipe that begins with "shoot three squirrels in the head".
Well, like I said, it should work nicely with a skinned supermarket chicken.

- Will Rogers
Old 12-17-2012, 01:14 PM   #251

Brew, the only time Dad got us to eat squirrel as kids, I bit into a bit of shot. I think I'd have been okay with it, otherwise. We did eat a lot of quail and dove as kids, though.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #252

It would be nice to have a thread discussing basic recipes for those like me who can't cook :-)
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #253

Quote:

Well, like I said, it should work nicely with a skinned supermarket chicken.
Indeed you did! I couldn't resist. I hope you weren't offended

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:59 PM   #254
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
Indeed you did! I couldn't resist. I hope you weren't offended
Nah, I hear worse from DW, let alone my sister.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #255
Give me a forum ...

Limb Chicken Pot Pie

Simmer 3 free range, organic limb chickens until tender. I tossed mine in a crock pot in the morning and by afternoon they were ready. Shred the meat off the bone. Cook a 12 oz. package of peas and carrots (frozen) according to package directions and drain. Mix 1 cup of your limb chicken broth with 1.5 T of flour, 1 tsp of the seasoning of your choice (I used Penzey's "Forward!" blend) and 1tsp salt. Mix broth, meat and veggies together and dump into a pie pan lined with crust (I use store bought crusts). Top with another crust and make a few holes for steam to escape. Bake at 350F for 45 min to an hour (looking for a nicely browned crust). Serve with beer (bluegrass music optional).

If you are not priveleged to spend the occasional day in the field pursuing one of the more fun varieties of game, or don't know a limb chicken hunter willing to share, this recipe would work with store bought chicken (maybe a 2.5 to 3# fryer) or rabbit.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #256
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
It would be nice to have a thread discussing basic recipes for those like me who can't cook :-)
You sound like a perfect candidate for a crockpot, aka slow cooker.

1. Buy meat of your choice. Place meat in crockpot.
2a. Add simple spices like salt and pepper, garlic, parsley. Throw in a chopped small onion, if you like. Add approx 1/4 cup of water.
OR
2b. Add can of low salt soup, diluted half strength.
3. Cook on LOW for 3-4 hours. Taste and add more slices to taste.
4. Make some rice or egg noodles or microwave a potato for the side dish. Or microwave some frozen vegetables if you want to go low carb.
5. Serve crockpot contents over the side dish, or in a bowl with veggies on the side. Or mix it all together.
6. Freeze any leftovers in single serving size containers.

These sites may be useful
http://www.50plusfriends.com/serve.p...kQHIgBTTPEPADA

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/main-dish/slow-cooker/
Old 01-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #257
Give me a forum ...

Of course, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, as they say. The Limb Chicken pot pie was a hit with my 6YO:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 224580_4601918319965_1245474489_n.jpg (30.9 KB, 16 views)

- Will Rogers
--
Old 01-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #258

--

Not much into cooking, but wanted to share my experience with food at the supermarket. In front of God and many shoppers, I picked up a bottle of salad dressing and too loudly asked DW what "og fat" was.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #259

Quote:
Of course, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, as they say. The Limb Chicken pot pie was a hit with my 6YO:
The pie looks tasty and that cute little girl looks like she's enjoying it.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #260
Give me a forum ...

Yep. One needs to introduce youngsters to the culinary art early. I have read that American kids are fed too much processed food, compared to European kids who know to enjoy really better food.