Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #261
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Those things made up a large portion of the protein in my father's family when he was a kid (rural Illinois). He used to have contests with his brother to see who could bring home the most, and my dad always claimed he could shoot the eye out of any squirrel at 25 yards.

When they got married, the first dinner my mom ever ate at her new in-laws' house featured limb chicken. She commented that it was the best chicken she had ever tasted (she was from NYC) and the whole extended family just about split a gut laughing. I heard that story a lot when I was growing up.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #262
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Simmer 3 free range, organic limb chickens until tender
yeah... organic...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg limb chicken.jpg (228.5 KB, 22 views)

Old 01-24-2013, 06:11 AM   #263
Dryer sheet wannabe

How about a great pancake recipe?

Scooterdog Pancakes
from Scooterdog

I'm not sure where this came from but it is our household staple. Have tried many recipes but this one gets lots of approval from the little ones (especially enhanced with chocolate chips or fruit).

1 c flour 1 T sugar 1 tsp Baking Powder 1/2 tsp Baking Soda 1/4 tsp
salt 1/8 tsp nutmeg 1/2 c milk 1/2 c plain yogurt 1 egg 2 T Oil

Mix and fry. Makes 8 ~4-inch pancakes.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #264
Full time employment: Posting here.

Really Good and Easy Buttermilk Cornbread

Melt 1 stick of butter. Remove from heat; stir in 2/3 c white sugar
Whisk in 2 eggs
Stir in 1 c buttermilk and 1/2 tsp baking soda
Stir in 1 c each of flour and cornmeal. Add 1/2 tsp salt
Bake 375 @ 25 minutes in a buttered 8 or 9 inch pan.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #265

Presbyterian Cocktail

I'm posting mainly just to remind people that this great thread exists, but was motivated by being able to fire up the grill today for the first time this year (what is that? Spring weather?).

A few years ago, I was in a small town outside of Indianapolis and ran across this cozy-looking Irish pub. It was pretty chilly (late October), and they were featuring this drink, which I'd never had. It's called a Presbyterian, and I love them.

• 1-1/2 oz. Irish whiskey (they used Red Breast, which is great but kind of pricey)
  • Club soda
  • Ginger ale

Put a few ice cubes in a highball glass, pour the whiskey over the ice, fill most of the remaining space with club soda, and finish with a splash of ginger ale.

Some people apparently like to mix the club soda and ginger ale equally, but that's too sweet for me.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #266

That sounds good, steely. And I'd drink it if I hadn't ruined my taste for Irish whisky with a VERY ill-advised evening of too many Irish car bombs. Now I'm unable to even smell the three components: Irish whisky, Guinness, and Irish creme without some vivid recollections.

But I'll share it with DH, who didn't share my poor judgment that night.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
That sounds good, steely. And I'd drink it if I hadn't ruined my taste for Irish whisky with a VERY ill-advised evening of too many Irish car bombs. Now I'm unable to even smell the three components: Irish whisky, Guinness, and Irish creme without some vivid recollections.

But I'll share it with DH, who didn't share my poor judgment that night.
You're nuts. I bet you listen to pedal steel guitar!

Old 07-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #268

For those with a sweet tooth I tried this somewhat healthy (made with avacado) chocolate mousse receipe yesterday and it came out really good.

1 ripe avacado, 1-2 ripe bananas, 2 teaspoons almond butter (I used regular peanut butter since it was all I had), 2 heaping teaspoons cocoa, 4 tablespoons water, 6 pitted marjool dates

Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until everything is smooth, best if refrigerated first.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #269
Recycles dryer sheets

Strawberry syrup

I am being flooded with strawberries (harvesting about 4 cups a day!) and I just made a big batch of syrup from them. It's really good on ice cream and waffles.

In a saucepan large enough for vigorous bubbling: 2 C chopped strawberries, 1 scant C sugar, 2 Tbsp good balsamic vinegar. Bring to a simmer/very low boil and cook for 20 minutes.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #270

Tomato/Cucumber & Avocado Salad

Cut tomatoes, cucumbers and avocados into bite sized pieces. Mix 1 tablespoon olive oil with juice of 1/2 lime. Add a little sea salt and generous amount of pepper to the vinaigrette, then toss it all together.

With fresh tomatoes and cucumbers, this is so good!
Old 08-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #271

Too many cherry tomatoes?

If you don't follow the Smitten Kitchen blog, I highly recommend it. I actually follow her on Facebook, so her updates just appear in my feed, but if you're not a FBer, do check out her blog. The photography alone is worth a peek.

She posted this One pan farro with tomatoes in July, and I really can't get enough of it. I'd never even heard of farro (it's a grain) but what she says at the end of the recipe is so very true:

Quote:
Drizzle farro lightly with additional olive oil, scatter with basil and parmesan. Eat immediately. Repeat tomorrow.
You will.....
Old 08-20-2013, 07:33 PM   #272
Give me a forum ...

Here's a very simple recipe for a really healthy dinner that I made last night:

Ingredients:
3 jumbo scallops
1 tsp butter
Sprig of rosemary
4 cloves of garlic with the green stems removed, crushed
6 medium sized mushrooms, cut up
Broccoli (as much as you like)

Lemon sauce:
3/4 cup of milk
juice of 1/2 a lemon
4 tsp of flour
1 tbs of butter
2 or 3 chopped shallots

Start with the lemon sauce. Melt the butter in a small saucepan, sprinkle in the flour and stir. Then add the milk, chopped shallots and lemon juice. Reserve.

Boil some water prior to steaming the broccoli for no more than 3-4 minutes.

In a saute pan, melt the butter and toss in the crushed garlic and rosemary. When it's all smelling wonderful, toss in the mushrooms. Finally, place the scallops in the pan for 2 1/2 minutes till lightly browned, then turn them over and do the other side. Don't overcook, or they will be rubbery.

Put everything on a plate and pour the lemon sauce over the scallops. Enjoy! There will be some lemon sauce left over.

Yum.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #273
Give me a forum ...

Squirrel and dumplins:

Squirrel is also referred to as "chicken of the tree," so if you are not fortunate to have some organic, free range, sustainable squirrels in your fridge, you will have to make do with store bought chicken.

Simmer 2 squirrels with seasonings of your choice (I used Penzey's "Ozark" seasoning and a large red dried NM chile) until tender. Shred meat off the bone and set aside. Strain broth. Make up dumplins with 2 cups flour and 1 tsp salt mixed together. Cut in 3 T butter or shortening and then add 3/4 cup brith to make the dough. Roll out to 1/4" thick on a floured surface. Using a pizza cutter or knife, cut the dough into 1/2" with by 1 to 1.5" strips. Bring broth to a rolling boil and drop in the dumplins. Simmer 10 minutes and then add the reserved meat. Cover and simmer for another 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning to taste (I found it needed salt, pepper and thyme).

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Squirrel and dumplins: Squirrel is also referred to as "chicken of the tree," so if you are not fortunate to have some organic, free range, sustainable squirrels in your fridge, you will have to make do with store bought chicken.
You never fail to make me smile. I have a bottle of wine to share over some limb chickens.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:43 PM   #275
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
You never fail to make me smile. I have a bottle of wine to share over some limb chickens.
Sounds like fun.

I made this dish tonight with squirrels that seemed to be feeding exclusively on black walnuts and it was really good. The Colorado season starts October 1 and I am really, really looking forward to it.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Sounds like fun. I made this dish tonight with squirrels that seemed to be feeding exclusively on black walnuts and it was really good. The Colorado season starts October 1 and I am really, really looking forward to it.
It's a lock. Too many people sounding miserable around here lately. But no way I am climbing into your trees!

Old 10-01-2013, 04:09 PM   #277

Jeez, I keep opening this thread hoping to come upon some appetizing recipes and keep running into that picture at the top and all this squirrel talk. Sorry, but it is certainly an appetite-killer for me.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Jeez, I keep opening this thread hoping to come upon some appetizing recipes and keep running into that picture at the top and all this squirrel talk. Sorry, but it is certainly an appetite-killer for me.
As mentioned, use chicken!

There are some great recipes in this thread and they were compiled at one point. Just ignore the guys in town for the night.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #279

Just look at Mead's scallop recipe for inspiration! There's plenty of good stuff! Scroll up!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #280
Give me a forum ...

I invented this healthy and colourful dish last night. After the chopping, it's easy. Very tasty and enough for 3-4 servings.

Ingredients:
3 lean boneless pork chops (chicken or beef would work well too)
1 cup of sliced mushrooms
Half a yellow pepper
2 large tomatoes on the vine
Half a butternut squash
3 asparagus stalks
1 large kale leaf
1 large clove of garlic
Handful of fresh basil
Handful of fresh cilantro
1 cup chicken stock
2 tbsp olive oil
Handful of shaved Parmesan cheese

Chop everything big into 1" cubes. Cut the asparagus stalks into 3" pieces. Slice the kale into pieces 1" wide. Finely chop the herbs and garlic. Heat a large sauté pan and add olive oil. Brown the pork cubes. Add the garlic, mushrooms, peppers and tomatoes, followed by the chicken stock. Now add the butternut squash and asparagus. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Then add the kale, basil and cilantro. Cover and simmer for another five minutes and season to taste. Garnish with the Parmesan cheese. Serve and enjoy!