Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-30-2016, 10:32 AM   #321
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
FIL loved the sunnyside basted eggs. I do too but typically do it the way you describe in the last paragraph. I flip them with a spatula and rarely break them.

My indulgence is rather than butter my toast I dip the toasted bread in the bacon grease for a count of two.
DW won't eat runny eggs so I do then sunnyside down.

I use a non-stick pan with sprayed olive oil in it and on the spatula so they don't stick to the spatula, cook the egg, flip it,
Then slide them out of the frypan by tilting it, that way they never break.
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Steak Sandwich
Old 10-01-2016, 01:30 PM   #322
Give me a forum ...

Steak Sandwich

This is an organic, grass fed, no hormone ribeye and a roll. This stuff has a good "beefy" flavor, but not much fat. As you can see this one appears the exception and looks more like wagyu, which I why I snagged it!

Nothing fancy, just tossed it on the grill, just "beef & bread"

But really good beef and a nice fresh bakery roll!

Melt in your mouth tender, juicy and flavorful -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:33 PM   #323
Give me a forum ...

You can't always eat the above, you will get fat and have a heart attack -

Some lighter fare;

I just love a grilled ham & cheese. Easy 1 skillet meal, comfort food and hey, I got the pickle too! Gotta get your veggies -
Old 07-15-2018, 11:28 AM   #324
Give me a forum ...

It's summertime!

Old 02-21-2019, 02:17 PM   #325

Crispy Asian Brussels Sprouts
from MBAustin

Thought I'd wake up this thread...we're big roasted brussels sprouts fans and had the inspiration for this recipe at Austin's Uchiko restaurant. Have made it several times since and it's really yummy. I used chili garlic sauce instead of siracha since that's what I had, and olive oil instead of vegetable oil. Also I found another variation that added minced ginger, which I think would be a good addition.

Author: Maegan - The BakerMama
Recipe type: vegetable Cuisine: Asian
Prep time: 15 mins Cook time: 45 mins Total time: 1 hour
Serves: 3

The best crispy brussels sprouts that are sweet, spicy, savory and oh so addicting!
Ingredients
1 pound fresh brussels sprouts
3 tablespoons vegetable oil (or other high-heat oil such as grapeseed)
3 tablespoons soy sauce (you can also use fish sauce here if you want something with a bit more flavor)
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice (about half a large lemon)
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
Pinch of black pepper
Kosher salt
Instructions
Preheat oven to 400°F and set a rack on the very top.
Prepare the brussels by cutting off the base of each sprout, slicing them in half from top to bottom and remove the excess or loose exterior leaves.
Soak the cut brussels for a minute in water to clean them.
Drain and spread Brussels out on a paper towel to dry while the oven is preheating.
Cover a large rimmed baking sheet with foil (makes cleaning it easier later on) and spread the brussels out on the pan.
Generously drizzle the brussels with the oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Stir with your hands to ensure brussels are all well-oiled and salted.
Place in the oven on the top rack for about 45-60 minutes. After 20 and 40 minutes, stir the brussels to ensure all sides get crispy and charred.
During the last 5-10 minutes of cooking, reduce remaining ingredients (soy sauce, maple syrup, garlic, sriracha, lemon juice and black pepper) in a sauté pan over medium-high heat until sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
Remove brussels from the oven once all brussels are crispy and slightly charred.
Place them in a bowl and toss with some of the reduced sauce. Do this a little at a time as you don’t want the brussels to be soaked in sauce so they retain their crispy texture. You may have a little leftover sauce. Eat & enjoy!

Recipe by The BakerMama at https://thebakermama.com/recipes/cri...ssels-sprouts/
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:54 PM   #326

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
from MBAustin
Those sound Ah-mazing!

We've been enjoying salmon quite a bit lately with this simple homemade topping:

- mayo, lemon zest and lemon juice, sugar, and fresh chopped parsley

I just make it to taste. We have so much fresh parsley growing in the garden right now, so it serves as inspiration for recipes.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:25 PM   #327
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Onioned chicken:

Cast iron skillet
fill with sliced onion (can add carrots celery garlic)
place chicken on veggies
cook at 400F for 1.5 to 2 hours

serve chicken in whatever manner you choose

deglaze skillet with wine and use as start of soup

Do I cover the skillet or leave it uncovered?
Old 06-26-2019, 05:45 AM   #328
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Fur Kid Formula

Dog food recipe for our spoiled rotten fur kid (who has a very sensitive stomach).

Our mutt always had digestive issues. Nothing helped, including the vet putting him on canine versions of Tums, Pepto, etc. We tried every pet food out there, including the high end refrigerated crap and the ones specifically for sensitive stomachs. Our adopted animal had zero success, remained ill, and often declined what was offered.

But I noticed a pattern. When he was sick and I would try to entice him to eat, the first thing he would nibble was a piece of a cooked sweet potato (after refusing many other offers of beef, chicken, etc). So, after a bit of trial and error, here is what our mutt is content with (and seldom suffering with digestive problems).

All measures are approximate-

o- 45% sweet potatoes
o- 45% chicken breast (boneless, skinless)
o- 5% great northern beans (rinsed thoroughly)
o- 5% early spring peas

The taters and bird are cooked until tender and shredded/mashed. Everything is mixed and refrigerated in ~weekly batches. We warm his meal in the micro-wave just enough to take the chill off. He loves this meal and is more problem free at 11 YO than ever. He's on year 3 of this diet. We supplement with a high quality canine multivitamin, and that's it!
Old 07-04-2019, 09:33 PM   #329
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not a recipe, but I just had some Cotton Candy Grapes. What a fantastic taste in a seedless table grape - somewhere between a table grape and a wine grape. Delicious!
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:58 AM   #330

Ok, here we go. My newfound joy of cooking (and eating) since FIRE. Most Fridays I do something called FNTK or Friday night test kitchen. While DW is at back to back exercise classes, I cook us a meal. Rules are, I can't make anything I have made before, and I always get a bottle of wine we haven't had before (Has to rate at least a 3.8 on the Vivino app). Sometimes I will have a cocktail special too. She absolutely loves it. My go-to is usually seafood and Chardonnay.

So I start by seeing what is in the fridge, then check out the grocery stores on-line flyer to see what is on sale. Then I surf recipes on line. I'll often print them out, but I don't think I have ever followed any one of them measured ingredient by ingredient (I tell DW all the time "I'm just making **** up."). Since I am only cooking for two, it is easy. I'll often substitute different things that are in a recipe.

Been doing this 2+ years I think, and we both agreed. Some things are better than others, but nothing has ever sucked. I am like a rock star to some of her friends at the health club who's husbands don't cook at all. So for me, the winners are things that taste and present like something at the finest restaurant, but in reality are really pretty simple to make.

So I remade one I had done before for just myself while staying over at our second home, posted a pic of it on social media, and someone asked for the recipe. So I figured if I wrote it up, I could post it here. It is AMAZINGLY good.

Lastly, as I said, I really don't measure anything when I cook, so the amounts below are just guesses.

Sauteed Scallops and Shrimp with veggies over rice.
Serves 2 with maybe some leftovers

Sea Scallops the big ones, 1/2 pound +
Shrimp, med size, peeled and deveined, about 10
Garlic, either minced or full cloves
Shallots, 3 med sized ones
Olive oil
Butter
Cherry or grape tomatoesa big handful
Mushrooms, I prefer shitake, italian oyster or hen of the woods
Broccolini, one bunch

In a large skillet, warm maybe 3-4 ounces of olive oil on med-low heat

Add garlic. If minced maybe 2 table spoons, if gloves either garlic press 4-6 of them, or slice the cloves really thin and put them in the oil.

Peel and slice shallots very thin and add them to the pan. If you like your shallot and garlic brown and crispy on the plate, simmer them for 5-7 minutes before proceeding. If you like them less cooked, go right to the next step.

Pat the scallops dry. Pull the "foot" off of them. Some people just eat them with the foot on, but it is just a bit tougher than the rest of the scallop. It is along the edge and you can easily pull it off with your fingers. I put them back in the container then, sprinkle a bit of sea salt and just a bit of black pepper on them, close up the container and shake.

Push the garlic ans shallots to the outside of the pan, making a clear space in the middle. Put a tablespoon of butter in the pan.

Using tongs, put the scallops in the pan one at a time, flat side down. Turn the heat up to medium. Sear one side of the scallop at a time. When one side is golden brown, flip it over. Don't overcook!

Take the scallops out and put them on a plate.

Put the shrimp in the pan. Same thing, brown one side, flip, take out and put on a plate.

Cut any excess stem off the broccolini, throw it in a mixing bowl, add 3-4 ounces of oil, some sea salt and mix.

Put the broccolini in the skillet. Add another tablespoon of butter, stir often. Broccolini takes a bit longer to sautee than the other veggies.

Make 1 1/2 cups of Jasmine rice (could really do this at the beginning)

After broccolini has had 10 ins or so in the pan, add the tomatoes and mushrooms. Blend stir for a few minutes until tomotoes just start to shrivel/blister a bit.

Dump scallops and shrimp back in the pan, turn heat to low. Add one more tablespoon of butter and maybe 6 ounces of a good white wine. Chardonnay, Savignon Blanc or Pino Gris will work well.

Mix and then serve over a good pile of rice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 82331678_10219721732941064_6696313193712582656_o.jpg (92.6 KB, 56 views)
Old 03-05-2020, 09:17 AM   #331

Doneat54, that is some eye candy to me. Wish I could make that dish, but don’t have a good source for fresh sea scallops around here.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:55 AM   #332
Give me a forum ...

From Jamaican friends in Riyadh....we love this in the summer.

Tropical Rice Salad

1 Pineapple
3 Cups cooked rice
3/4 Cup Mayo
2 Tbsp Chutney
1 Tsp Curry Powder
2 Cups diced cooked chicken
1/2 Cup diced green pepper
1/2 Cup diced celery
1/2 Cup slivered Almonds
2 Tbsp Chopped green onions
Lettuce

Basically - mix it all together......eat it cooled.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Beef Quirky
Old 07-12-2020, 08:48 AM   #333

Beef Quirky

A play on jerky. I cut skirt steak on the bias into strips and marinade for a few hours. Then, put em in the smoker at 230ish for perhaps 75 minutes (if I'm lazy, I add a little liquid smoke to the marinade, then into the convection oven). Once they are firm (not hard), I pull them. Since they still have moisture, they need to be gone if a few days. That hasn't been a problem....

Marinade:
about equal parts dry red wine and soy sauce
The following to taste;
crushed garlic cloves, hot sauce, black pepper, old bay, American fish sauce (wooster sauce)

Old 07-12-2020, 09:37 AM   #334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
My German Grandmother used to serve white rice with cinnamon and butter, it's very good.
I grew up on this stuff - in ND, of course.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:45 AM   #335
Give me a forum ...

We miss Thailand. This winter looks like a bust. Not predisposed to go to either of our two favourite authentic Thai restaurants.

So, I am DIYing. Made this Penang Curry recipe last night. It was excellent. Just like some of the family run places that we frequent in Thailand.

One thought though...the recipe (I think) is for NA tastes. We used 4-5 tablespoons of curry paste instead of the recommended 2-4. Also, we got paste made in Thailand at our local Asian store. Next up with be Masaman Curry and then Pad Thai!

https://littlespicejar.com/20-minute...chicken-curry/

Note: We did not use Penang Curry Paste. We made our own from red curry paste because we had trouble finding Penang paste. Details on the same web site inside the Penang Curry
Noodle Bowls!
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:18 PM   #336

Friday is fish fry day in my neck of the woods, but we're cooking at home more rather than eating out in the fish fry tradition. I stumbled across this fish fry option online: Panko-crusted oven fried haddock

I generally use cod instead of haddock. The mayonnaise and egg mix keeps the fish nice and moist in the oven, and the cajun seasoning gives it a little kick -- but not so much that my DW would find it too spicy. The toasted panko adds a satisfying crunch.