Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is one of the friendlist, most welcoming boards I've ever participated in. I am a rabid sports fan of my husband's alma mater, and I belong to a sports chat board just for that college, where we "discuss" all sports. It is rough, I think rivaling any political boards. And we're all on the same team! Name calling, threats, people constantly getting suspended and coming back and doing more of the same. I'm one of the very few women on the board, and they cut me no slack whatsoever. And I pay to belong to this thing! What is wrong with me, you ask? Anything for the team.

I read that board, get my blood pressure and dander up, and then come here to calm back down. This is a wonderful respite for me. So thank all the mods, old and new, for what they do.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
I never saw the point of those "comment" sections on the news sites, which have now deteriorated into the live Twitter feeds onscreen during some "news" shows. I mean, why would anybody care about what one Joe Blow thinks about a story, out of the thousands (or tens? hundreds? of thousands) who read it?
Well, it depends on the site and the quality of the comments. There is a lot of junk in some comments. Other times, I learn a lot from the comments. Often time the comments raise other points, cite to additional data, or even provide comments that are contrary to the original article and give another perspective or add data.

To give a few recent episodes at the New York Times web site. I read an article about the Mediterranean diet that was very complimentary of it. The comments were very interesting and many added to the discussion. One that was notable, for example, was from Dean Ornish (I didn't necessarily agree with him but reading the dissenting view was interesting).

Another one - I was reading another article, this one on sugar and diabetes. The author was discussing a recent study that had been released. One of the comments was from the principal investigator on the study and had a link to some additional information.

Even many of the comments from just the regular readers can be interesting. (I do like the ability to recommend comments so if an article has many comments I will skim down and look at those with a lot of recommendations).
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post

Mr. Runonandonforanentirepageiwithoutaparagraphbreak

Amethyst
THIS is brilliant!!!!

I hope it's not proprietary because I plan to use it.....many, many times.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I love this it is needed at every j*b site to keep things in perspective.

T-bird
Class of 2013 (18 w*rking days to go, leave, er, whatever!)
DW Class of 2012
T-bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Is this a bad time to bring up sequestration?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #26
Gone but not forgotten

Took a while to understand porcine remarks... Still occasionally fail, but learning.

Tranquility indeed. Zen, amongst the rabble.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #27

I have to agree with this.

I just stay away from healthcare-related threads. Sometimes it is difficult not to answer some of the posts I see :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

Even at it's absolute worst, thankfully this place is a sea of tranquility by comparison...
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #28

A good "argument" is a true intellectual exchange of ideas. Unfortunately most nowadays become little more than abuse.
See Monthy Python's classic Argument sketch-

For those RFOLer's- here's the transcript-
Jokes - Monty Python - Arguement sketch
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:19 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
I just stay away from healthcare-related threads. Sometimes it is difficult not to answer some of the posts I see :-)
Why? I thought having folks provide insight from their various areas of expertise is the whole point of this forum (see Community Rules). You ask questions hoping others can offer guidance, but you're not willing to reciprocate when your area(s) of expertise come up?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #30

Was beaten up a couple of times for providing and supporting generally accepted protocols which I use as a clinician. I won't fall in that trap again :-)

Quote:
Why? I thought having folks provide insight from their various areas of expertise is the whole point of this forum (see Community Rules). You ask questions hoping others can offer guidance, but you're not willing to reciprocate when your area(s) of expertise come up?
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

thanks ERHoosier, for starting my weekend with the Argument Clinic.
gardenfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfun View Post
thanks ERHoosier, for starting my weekend with the Argument Clinic.
+1, I never get tired of Monty Python, a great memory from college...thanks.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

+1, I never get tired of Monty Python, a great memory from college...thanks.
You remember college?

So many great MP sketches.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
You remember college? ...
No wonder those MP DVD's sell better now than they did back in the 70's
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

This IS a great site. Thanks to the mods for keeping it sane and civil. Fear of bacon is a great motivator.

One of my luckiest days in ER (a slight exaggeration) was finding this place!
Old 03-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #36
gone traveling

And its great that we have several mods here that represent the Texas POV, and hey, the rest of you aren't bad either
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
DVDs? Whippersnapper...

Unfortunately DW gave me a full set on VHS, basically useless now.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
This IS a great site. Thanks to the mods for keeping it sane and civil. Fear of bacon is a great motivator.

One of my luckiest days in ER (a slight exaggeration) was finding this place!
+1
Old 03-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #39
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
The DVD's probably weren't selling better in the 70's because the they hadn't been invented yet.

Quote:
DVDs? Whippersnapper...

Unfortunately DW gave me a full set on VHS, basically useless now.
If it's any consolation, the DVD will be replaced with something else, and then you will feel better about not having the DVD version.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Marko's Right, re. Post #35
Old 03-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Marko's Right, re. Post #35

+100

This board has been a great discovery. I don't do Facebook or any social media. If I want to be in contact with friends or family, I write, call or email. Figure the rest of the world has little to no interest in my day-to-day concerns. Why should they?

However, when we retired, DH and I only knew a few other retirees, folks much older than we are, who seemed to be in a much different place in life. Most of our close friends are still working. A few colleagues who retired when I did are widely scattered geographically. So, who do you ask when you have such basic questions? (My mom is 86 and retired in the 80's....a very different retirement world.)

Can't remember how I happened upon this site, but this has been just as educational as (but more entertaining than) college classes long ago. PLUS, this board addresses infinite varieties of questions, and insights the post-ers have learned through their own research and experience. Kind of like college "freshman orientation" when you're told the "real deal" about how to survive-- maybe even thrive-- on campus.

Of course, this "campus" is a whole lot more fun: no papers to write, no future careers to worry about, no resumes to sweat over, or interviews to prep for. We have now arrived at the time when we get rewarded for all those years of hard labor.

Thanks, moderators, for making this such a civil and supportive on-line community. Your numbers will be burgeoning, as I tell more friends about i!