Join Early Retirement Today

Re: ER religious preference
Old 03-08-2005, 07:40 PM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
The religious contamination is slowly being eradicated in Canada, Europe and Asia as the masses rebel against the force fed nonsense that "my god is the greatest".

Only in America, and the Middle East are the fundamentalists still infecting the young.
Hey, maybe we could start a new country with a clear separation between government and religion. Oh, wait. We already have that here in America.

I have a feeling that if we banned religion, we'd just replace it with nationalism. And, yes, my country really is better than your country

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2005, 09:06 PM   #142

It saddens me to see Americans use their freedom of speech to
attack another freedom, freedom of religion. Is one of these freedoms greater than the other?
To be used to attack the other?
They do this even though they know that one of the main reasons people
came to this county was because of religious persecutions.
Don't they realize what they are doing is also a form of religious persecution?
Thankfully the founding father understood the need to define these freedoms for
speech and religion in the bill of rights and constitution.
History shows these were men of faith.
Please think about this before you attack the religious beliefs of others.
I used to do this myself years ago before I became a Christian and I thought it was fun
to ridicule believers. It probably was stemmed in my insecurity of not knowing if God was real.
Only today do I realize how harmful this was to others.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:36 PM   #143

Quote:
attack another freedom, freedom of religion. * Is one of these freedoms greater than the other?
To be used to attack the other?
They do this even though they know that one of the main reasons people
came to this county was because of religious persecutions.
Don't they realize what they are doing is also a form of religious persecution?
Thankfully the founding father understood the need to define these freedoms for
speech and religion in the bill of rights and constitution.
History shows these were men of faith.
Please think about this before you attack the religious beliefs of others.
I used to do this myself years ago before I became a Christian and I thought it was fun
to ridicule believers. *It probably was stemmed in my insecurity of not knowing if God was real.
Only today do I realize how harmful this was to others.
A belief that Christianity's god is not the one and only god is a religious belief too. Declaring that this belief is an attack on religious freedom is an attack on religious freedom.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:58 PM   #144

Quote:
attack another freedom, freedom of religion.
Oh, brother. This is an internet discussion board. If you feel that you are being persecuted, there is an easy way to flee persecution.

Turn off your computer. Ready ... now!

And last I checked, those who shared your beliefs were in the majority in this country. Persecution shouldn't be your worry. Tyrrany of the majority should be.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:01 AM   #145

Yep, just say "No". Personally I value the First
Amendment just as much as others; pretty much
sacred ground to me. Thus, to quote my good friend
Pat Benetar, "Hit me with your best shot; fire away!"
Hey, whatever happened to her.? I thought she was HOT!

JG
Old 03-09-2005, 04:25 AM   #146
Full time employment: Posting here.

Does it not often seem to be the case that the threads we try the hardest to shut down end up being the longest threads of all?
Old 03-09-2005, 04:33 AM   #147
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

This thread has turned into an after dinner conversation between my mom (the baptist minister) and I (the pagan quaker). Good times!
Old 03-09-2005, 06:03 AM   #148

Quote:
And last I checked, those who shared your beliefs were in the majority in this country. * Persecution shouldn't be your worry. * Tyrrany of the majority should be.
Damn Straight. *I go to church now primarily for perception, perception for my parents, my wife, my workmates. *It would be professional suicide if i were to admit to my workmates and my boss i was agnostic. *There's no way i'd get promoted after saying that cause who's going to trust someone that doesn't ultimately answer to a God? (The way christains think, they think if you dont believe in god, you have no morals, which is just plain dumb). These folks here in Arkansas are god-fearers, and one would definitely be ostrasized if you said you were an atheist/agnostic (though admittedly it would be done subtlely to avoid grounds for discrimination grieveances).

70%+ of americans polled profess to be christain. *Over 95% believe in God, also per national polls. *

If its persecution one's looking for, go tell everyone you're an atheist.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:41 AM   #149
Moderator Emeritus

(sigh) now we are getting to the everyone who is x does y stage. I'm so glad I've been enlightened on what I think. I thought I thought differently, but I guess I was wrong! Religion and politics, never a good subject, especially on a message board. :-/

Hey, so I'm interested in getting a kayak, I've only done it twice, but I really enjoyed it and would like to get out to the ocean more. What a good starter kayak?
Old 03-09-2005, 08:25 AM   #150

First, if you can't handle it, dont participate. Second, do you mind not hijacking my thread?
Old 03-09-2005, 08:26 AM   #151
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey, maybe we could start a new country with a clear separation between government and religion. Oh, wait. We already have that here in America.
Which america do you live in? It appears to me that there is very little separation of church and state in the america I'm living in.

It must be mighty uncomfortable to be a non-christian in the US these days. I get the creeps listening to and watching some of the stuff that comes out of politicians and judges and I'm a christian.

John - Pat Benetar is alive and well and still doing nickel and dime concerts. She was headlining with a couple of other "used to be's" around here a year or so ago. She's not so hot anymore.

I'll say a couple of things about religion. Gives some people hope when they dont have any. Takes a lot of money away from people and sometimes the donators needed the money a lot more. Disappointment over the high rate of crime among these so-called shepherds. More people killed, more wars fought, more tension created over religion than any other cause.

Laurencewill - your best starter kayak is a rental, save that, the cheapest one you can get which is often a used rental being sold at the end of the season by the rental company, save that buy one used out of the local paper. If you spend more than $250 with a paddle, you're doing it wrong.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 10:24 AM   #152
Moderator Emeritus

Az - I thought the kayak thing was the running joke on this MB when thread had been beat to death. Chill out!

"(The way christains think, they think if you dont believe in god, you have no morals, which is just plain dumb)."

-so, all Christians think that, eh? I don't, and I'd appreciate you not make gross generalizations about what people think. I'm sorry you feel compelled to lie about your faith to everyone you know, that must be hard. All I was saying was, we get your point, you think Christians are dumb, you pretend to be one solely to advance your career and get more money, got it. Good luck with that.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:34 AM   #153

Quote:
you pretend to be one solely to advance your career and get more money, got it. *Good luck with that.
Actually, it seemed to me that he was saying that he "pretended" to be a Christian to prevent discrimination and ostracization. *That's at least a step up from the historical record where he would have had to "pretend" to avoid painful death.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:51 AM   #154
Moderator Emeritus

Well maybe the west coast is more tolerant, because I was never discriminated against when I wasn't a Christian. The only people being ostracized on this thread are the Christians.

I thought the thread was asking how many ER wannabes were Christian and if that goal conflicted with their faith, so I raise my hand and get it blown off and told what I think and why I'm dumb. Hey free country, 1st amendment and all that, so it's all good. Fool me once, right?
Old 03-09-2005, 11:34 AM   #155

Hello Laurencewill! You can't be overly sensitive and last
here. You must be able to take it as well as dish it out.
Not everyone finds this "in-your-face" debate and strong
invective appealing. Personally, I like it as long as everyone is honest.

JG
Old 03-09-2005, 12:55 PM   #156
Moderator Emeritus

I'm learning, but I try not to dish it out myself. I'm always up for a debate, I was just caught off guard. Shutting up now.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:32 AM   #157

This is from today's NY Times.

Physicist Is Awarded the Templeton Prize in Spiritual Matters
By DENNIS OVERBYE

Published: March 10, 2005

Dr. Charles Townes, a physicist who shared the Nobel Prize for helping to invent the laser, added another and most unusual prize to a lifelong storehouse of honors yesterday. In a news conference at the United Nations, he was announced as the winner of the $1.5 million Templeton Prize, awarded annually for progress or research in spiritual matters.

Dr. Townes, 89, a longtime professor at the University of California, Berkeley, has long argued that those old antagonists science and religion are more alike than different and are destined to merge.

"Understanding the order in the universe and understanding the purpose in the universe are not identical, but they are also not very far apart," he wrote in a seminal paper titled "The Convergence of Science and Religion," published in 1966 in the IBM journal "Think."

In a statement the Templeton Foundation described Dr. Townes as "a unique voice - especially among scientists - that sought commonality between the two disciplines."

The prize was established in 1972 by the investor and philanthropist Sir John Templeton, with a monetary value always to exceed that of the Nobel. Dr. Townes is to receive his prize at Buckingham Palace in May.

Dr. Townes often recalls that he came up with the idea that would become the laser while sitting on a Washington park bench in 1951. In his 1966 article, he said there was little difference between such epiphanies, when the subconscious hits on the solution to a problem, and the religious experience of revelation.

Dr. Townes, who described himself as a Protestant Christian, said there was no reason to expect that the Bible would be all correct. Asked about his beliefs, he said, "I have enormous respect and adoration for Christ and what he did," but he added that he did not know whether Christ actually was the son of God.

"He's closer to it than anybody else I know of," Dr. Townes said.