Ernie Banks, Chicago Cubs

Idnar7

Recycles dryer sheets
Died at 83 with a cash estate of $16,000. I would call that a life well - lived.

He will aways be Mr. Cub. Let's play two today.

Also worth noting that back when he played, often players had to have a job in the off season. Salaries weren't even close to those of today.

His baseball numbers, before injuries were right up there with Mays, Aaron and Mantle.

As I recall, Ernie Banks was once intentionally walked with the bases loaded.

Local radio said the highest one year baseball salary he ever made was $75K, though who knows how much that is in today's dollars. They said he made more in his pursuits after baseball (appearances, endorsements, etc.?). Glad he didn't leave much of an estate since his beneficiaries were/are fighting about burial, etc.

Last edited:
Met him once, of all places, at a Dodger's training camp back when they used to do spring training at Vero Beach. What a gentleman. He gave the impression of just being a genuinely nice man who loved the game. Spent a lot of time talking to the kids and signing balls, and didn't even mind signing one for this overgrown kid. RIP.

Met him once, of all places, at a Dodger's training camp back when they used to do spring training at Vero Beach. What a gentleman. He gave the impression of just being a genuinely nice man who loved the game. Spent a lot of time talking to the kids and signing balls, and didn't even mind signing one for this overgrown kid. RIP.

I don't really follow sports, but I did like watching baseball occasionally, back at the time when Ernie was Mr Cubs. When he passed, I was thinking he really was more of a personality, and just a very good player, not really great, and that even his 500 home runs ( a big deal in Chicago-land at the time, I thought Jack Brickhouse was going to blow a valve!) was more due to his longevity in the game rather than being really great.

But then I looked at his record in wiki and other places - holy smokes! I really didn't recall that he was that good. And it seems safe to assume that steroids or other enhancements were not involved. If sports had more people like him, maybe I'd be more of a fan.

How about a song from one of the biggest Cub fans of all time:

Somewhat auto-biographical, as Steve Goodman had been battling cancer for many years, and was taken by it a few years after writing this song.

-ERD50

Back then a power hitting shortstop was a brand new concept.

It's been 44 years since Banks retired. It's been 54 years since Banks was in his prime. My impression is, Banks is remembered as the jovial, swell gentleman who was one of baseball's great ambassadors. The "let's play two" man. Which is fine. Lord knows Cub Nation celebrates all kinds of goofy things when they ought to be concentrating on baseball. Don't know why Ernie Banks would be any different.

But Ernie Banks was more than a swell guy. He was one heck of a ballplayer. He was a direct contemporary of Willie Mays and Henry Aaron and Mickey Mantle, and the data is not clear that Banks was necessarily a notch below those epic heroes.

http://newsok.com/dont-forget-ernie-banks-was-a-great-ballplayer-too/article/5388613

As I recall, Ernie Banks was once intentionally walked with the bases loaded.

Intentional base on balls - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nope, 6 guys were, but not Banks. It sounds ridiculous, but with a 4 run lead late and a power hitter up, it could make sense.

Geez, did I say Banks? I meant to say Abner Dalrymple (see below). They both played in Chicago, making the mix-up on my part easily understandable. I think Banks is the one on television (see below).

images
2Q==

Geez, did I say Banks? I meant to say Abner Dalrymple (see below). They both played in Chicago, making the mix-up on my part easily understandable. I think Banks is the one on television (see below).

Yes, I can see how you could get them confused, heck, the resemblance is striking - they could be brothers! And 'Abner' and 'Banks' have the SAME NUMBER OF LETTERS in them! It's eerie!

-ERD50

My favorite Cubs song, Go Cubs Go! You don't even have to like baseball to enjoy a summer afternoon at Wrigley. There's nothing like it, OK maybe Fenway...

http://youtu.be/A9XtDyDUjIU

In a flurry of book donation activity last fall, I must have given away a book called The Cubs Reader, which is a collection of articles and stories by some famous and good writers.

There was probably at least one piece about Mr. Cub.

Lesson: never part with something you aren't completely sure you won't miss!

My favorite Cubs song, Go Cubs Go! You don't even have to like baseball to enjoy a summer afternoon at Wrigley. There's nothing like it, OK maybe Fenway...

http://youtu.be/A9XtDyDUjIU

Also written by Steve Goodman! ;) I told you he was a big fan.

IMO, totally subjective, 'Go Cubs Go' is a very good 'pop' song. Catchy hook, captures the 'fun' of watching the Cubs lose in the 'friendly confines' (one of the nick-names for Wrigley Field, I guess that was from long time announcer Jack Brickhouse?). Great theme song for the team, it gets you going.

But I like "A Dying Cubs Fan's Last Request" for the very clever lyrics, it really captures the angst of being a fan of a losing team. It really paints a picture. A bit dark for a theme song though!

-ERD50

Been a cubby fan all my life. The 1969 collapse was tough to experience as a 14 yr. old.

A few yrs. back after a round of golf we went (as usual) to the clubhouse to have some refreshments. Started talking to the bartender (who has been at this golf course a long, long time). According to him, Ernie played the "I'm the star" at this golf course where he was comped for golf rounds and the after round cocktails. To top it off, he did not leave the bartender nor the waiter a tip.

Happened often according to him.

Just another side to him - Cheap!

Hey, he only had $16K left. Had to watch his spending.

Sorry to hear the bartender is talking ill of his memory. As a boyhood idol, Ernie Banks is forever entwined with my Chicago baseball memories. If you could get down to the first row before the game, you had a good chance of seeing him up close or even getting an autograph. He was always upbeat, which wasn't always easy for a Cub. He was a huge fan favorite and he really was a great great player on a team that was sometimes just so so. Let's play two.

Sorry to hear the bartender is talking ill of his memory. As a boyhood idol, Ernie Banks is forever entwined with my Chicago baseball memories. If you could get down to the first row before the game, you had a good chance of seeing him up close or even getting an autograph. He was always upbeat, which wasn't always easy for a Cub. He was a huge fan favorite and he really was a great great player on a team that was sometimes just so so. Let's play two.

The bartender told me this about 5 yrs ago.

The bartender told me this about 5 yrs ago.

So maybe he figured if they were comping the golf and the drinks, they were comping the tips?

I dunno, I'm a skeptic by nature, but I've only heard positive things about Mr Cubs. I'm gonna take the bartender's story with a large block of salt.

-ERD50

So maybe he figured if they were comping the golf and the drinks, they were comping the tips?

I dunno, I'm a skeptic by nature, but I've only heard positive things about Mr Cubs. I'm gonna take the bartender's story with a large block of salt.

-ERD50

Through the yrs, I've learned nobody is perfect.

Through the yrs, I've learned nobody is perfect.

That could be it as well, we will probably never know.

But as others have mentioned, he probably was not a wealthy man. Ball players didn't make big bucks back then, and endorsements were not so lucrative as today. Compared to a Micheal Jordan level of comp, maybe he just figured he better grab whatever crumbs he can?

-ERD50

Been a cubby fan all my life. The 1969 collapse was tough to experience as a 14 yr. old.

A few yrs. back after a round of golf we went (as usual) to the clubhouse to have some refreshments. Started talking to the bartender (who has been at this golf course a long, long time). According to him, Ernie played the "I'm the star" at this golf course where he was comped for golf rounds and the after round cocktails. To top it off, he did not leave the bartender nor the waiter a tip.

Happened often according to him.

Just another side to him - Cheap!

Sorry, but there's something so wrong to me about a bartender who talks about any of his customers like this, good or bad.

Wish the Cubs had someone equivalent to Ernie to root for.

Sorry, but there's something so wrong to me about a bartender who talks about any of his customers like this, good or bad.

Wish the Cubs had someone equivalent to Ernie to root for.
+1

There's never a shortage of newly shared opinions about people once they are no longer around to speak for themselves.

Back
Top Bottom