Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-18-2016, 01:58 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Problem solved: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/02...d-by-error-53/

Apple is also reimbursing affected customers who paid for a replacement iPhone.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2016, 02:03 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
Problem solved: New iOS 9.2.1 build will un-brick iPhones affected by Error 53 | Ars Technica

Apple is also reimbursing affected customers who paid for a replacement iPhone.
Nicely done, assuming it works (without unintended consequences). I'm an AAPL stockholder, as well as an occasional user. I'm not particularly for or against Apple, other than their stock price. But this seems a fairly elegant solution for the problem.

Old 02-18-2016, 04:12 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Nicely done, assuming it works (without unintended consequences). I'm an AAPL stockholder, as well as an occasional user. I'm not particularly for or against Apple, other than their stock price. But this seems a fairly elegant solution for the problem.
Yes, this is what some of us suggested earlier - disable the fingerprint access if it fails the security checks, but the phone should be left operational otherwise.

edit/add: I'm also glad to see that Apple is resolving this, rather than a bunch of lawyers make $$$$ while the affected parties get a $5 discount coupon.

further edit/add: I don't think this fix is deserving of the adjective 'elegant'. I'd say it was the obvious fix, and how it should have been from the start. If you read between the lines from Apple, it appears that they now admit the error53 was an unintended result of their internal test/verification code, and that it should have acted as described - disable the fingerprint access, but continue to work normally otherwise.

Minor point, but - I'll also say that this definition of 'bricked' does not match the one I'm used to hearing. When we spoke of a 'bricked' device, it was a goner. Not something that could be revived from software. Depending on how big a deal security was on the device, you might not even to be able to revive it with a hardware swap out of a component - the secure boot code would see a mismatch with other components on the board, and abort. Only if you replaced all involved components (CPU, RAM, ROM, key I/O), and then started it in the mode that allowed it to learn all its related keys (or maybe these were one-time-programmed - I'm fuzzy on the details now, and this was a while ago), could you revive that board. But it was easier to scrap it and start with a new one at that point. It wouldn't retain any of its previous data, so really not much point in it.

I wonder if MP still feels this action from Apple is a security risk (post #40 & #43)?

-ERD50
Old 02-18-2016, 04:25 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

x10 - this is a more logical solution as a few previously suggested here rather than turning a $600 device in a doorstop. Finally, Apple has come to their senses and hopefully those here too who were adamant that Apple's bricking solution was the one and only logical response to aftermarket repair! God that was getting under my skin as I read through this thread especially being in IT security and knowing a few things about encryption algorithms and how fingerprint scanners work. Heck fingerprint chips on laptops have been around for 10+ years, sure glad IBM/Lenovo/HP weren't bricking those laptops.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:31 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The obvious fix, Which shoulda been the right way to go to start with. There is some hope for apple yet. No gold star atta boy.

As is often said, one "aw $hit" effectively wipes out one thousand attaboys
Old 02-18-2016, 05:34 PM   #66
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Error53, Iphone6 is Bricked

Good solution but it reminds me of the TurboTax fiasco last year. Do something crappy, make some poor spokesperson explain it away when there's outrage and bad publicity, then back down when people don't accept the explanation.