Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
Moving walkways can be used by standing or walking on them.
I sometimes stop on them. I am not in a hurry. I allow myself plenty of time when traveling to avoid stressing myself.

If you are in a hurry, you don't have to use the walkway - use the corridor.
Why can't you just exhibit a little courtesy to those who are in a rush and stand to the right if you are not walking, leaving the left lane for those rushing to catch a plane or otherwise in a hurry?

If I'm not in a hurry I just stroll down the corridor or if I do use the walkway I stand to the right and leave the left lane for those in a rush.

pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Why can't you just exhibit a little courtesy to those who are in a rush and stand to the right if you are not walking, leaving the left lane for those rushing to catch a plane or otherwise in a hurry?

If I'm not in a hurry I just stroll down the corridor or if I do use the walkway I stand to the right and leave the left lane for those in a rush.
I DO have that courtesy and stand on the right. My reply was to somebody who questioned why people have to stop on the moving walkway, as if that is not allowed.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I DO have that courtesy and stand on the right. My reply was to somebody who questioned why people have to stop on the moving walkway, as if that is not allowed.
Then I apologize. The tone of the last line of your post seemed to me to be unsympathetic to those in a hurry. I guess I missed the post inferring that stopping on the moving walkway should not be allowed.

In many of the places I have seen them there is signage asking people who are standing to stay to the right.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #24

Here in the DC area, the locals all know the drill: to the right if you want to stand, to the left if you're walking. Tourists in the Metro are obvious in many ways, especially when they exhibit their lack of escalator etiquette. Usually a polite but firm "excuse me" will take care of the problem.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Living in small-town Wisconsin i've rarely even see an escalator let alone used one. I've always thought of them as lazy-person stairs but realize they may be needed for elderly or disabled people. I've never even thought about walking on an escalator. I thought the whole point was to not have to walk? I would assume anyone behind me is standing in place just as I am but if they asked nicely i'd have no problem moving so they can pass. I naturally tend to stand to the right in any such situation but had no idea it was a "rule".
Old 07-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

How to ride an escalator is probably a more complex topic than many of us think.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #27

Quote:
My reply was to somebody who questioned why people have to stop on the moving walkway, as if that is not allowed.
I understand it is allowed, I just don't get the reasoning behind it since when trying to get from point A to point B my instinct is to continue walking at a normal pace when the opportunity presents itself.

Otherwise why not occasionally stop and stand in place even when there is no moving walkway? Resume walking later, you'll get there eventually.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

If everyone stopped on the escalator (or moving walkway) the maximum flow rate of people would be constrained by the velocity of the escalator or moving walkway. When people walk or climb on the escalator or walkway, they achieve a velocity equal to their walking speed plus the speed of the escalator. The net effect is to reduce the flow constraints and the chances of a backlog. It is often assumed that people who wish to walk could so so in the stairway or corridor, but often the alternative route (shunt) does not exist.

Disclaimer: I am not an engineer, but I have worked with flow problems.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

I'm pretty sure the 'stand your ground' laws in some states will come into play here sooner or later...
Old 07-28-2013, 04:01 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Lately I have been avoiding elevators and moving walkways and trying to move myself more . I did think they were designed to assist those who have trouble climbing stairs and walking long distances more than to help us move faster, which most of us use them for now.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #31

I stand to the right as a courtesy to those who want to move faster than me. Rarely do these people have a time constraint, they just have a pace that is quicker than mine. Many times these people have an aura of stress about them which makes me feel sorry for them.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:16 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I have the same problem with elevators. I can't believe the way people just stand there.
They should be climbing the walls of the elevators to get there faster.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi688 View Post
They should be climbing the walls of the elevators to get there faster.
Jumping up and down.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #34
Dryer sheet wannabe

I stand with my back to the door and stare at everyone. Try that all the way to the top of the Sear's Tower some time. It's a hoot.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Escalators / elevators
Old 07-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

When there are both conventional stairs and escalators available, common in Chicago, escalator-walkers should take the conventional stairs and sprint up or down. Minimum time standards should be posted and those failing to meet the requirements should be placed in a training program until they can.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I use the escalator every day at lunchtime (no stairs there). It isn't really wide enough for two people to comfortably pass, so everyone just stands their ground and it works great! In my opinion escalators are dangerous enough that people really shouldn't be trying to shove through at max speed anyway, unless they are made double-wide. Airport moving walkways are a different matter, though. They're made for walking.

My beef is with those who enter an elevator, press the button for their floor, and then press the "Door Close" button. Or the guy who presses the "Door Close" button as soon as someone gets off the elevator without looking to see if anyone else is getting on. Every few weeks I get smacked on the shoulders by closing elevator doors because of one of those "can't wait or be bothered to look if anyone else is coming" jerks.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #38

Scrinch

The proper thing to do is to shove those people out of the elevator if they are not moving fast enough .
Old 07-28-2013, 11:13 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiuxiu View Post
I understand it is allowed, I just don't get the reasoning behind it since when trying to get from point A to point B my instinct is to continue walking at a normal pace when the opportunity presents itself.

Otherwise why not occasionally stop and stand in place even when there is no moving walkway? Resume walking later, you'll get there eventually.
Apparently you have never experienced knee, hip, or heart surgery. Live and learn.

I have the nature of a polymath and the memory of a Commodore 64
Sittingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
How to ride an escalator is probably a more complex topic than many of us think.

I am a rule number 4 serial violator. Not enough hand sanitizer made to make me grab that thing...

I have the nature of a polymath and the memory of a Commodore 64
Sittingduck is offline   Reply With Quote