Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-30-2011, 03:22 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Is this really all that surprising They are upfront that they are in the business of replacing batteries: Automotive Services: Battery Replacement - AAA ... and I suppose they do this for money -- as much money as they can get.

And . . . their prices do seem to be high, but they come to you. I can think of some remote cases where this might be OK -- like you are w*rking and taking a couple of hours off to go have a battery replaced would cost you more than the the 50% or 75% markup.

Edit to add: Found myself right in the middle of nowhere (on the road) with a dead motorcycle battery. This cycle had a wimpy electrical system and it would not idle after jumping the dead battery. Decided to walk the mile or so to the bus depot to take the bus to "town" (nearest motorcycle shop) to pick up a battery. Walked past an auto parts store where a couple of cycles were parked at the back door and decided somebody in there might be sympathetic to me. Told the guy at the counter what I needed -- he wanted to know exactly. Then he stood on his tiptoes moving from side to side looking behind me. "If you turn around you will find it on the shelf three feet behind you. We don't normally stock this but this is what I need for my cycle!".

That's a case where delivery would have been worth it. I "lost" a whole day to the battery incident but eventually made it to my destination four states away, then back home.

Well, I guess everybody had an opinion... so I will give mine....

AAA is supposed to come and jump your battery for FREE... well, at least as part of your fee you pay...

So, you are not paying them to come install a battery... they are already there to help you... anything else they do is in addition to this service and should not include the cost of getting there...

BTW, my wife got stuck at a state park... the guy came to jump and could not get it done (I was not there, so I do not know all he did)... they had to send someone else out to tow the car into a garage... the garage said the battery was 'dead' and charged us maybe $120... but I did not pay for the two people who came out... this was with the Progressive insurance coverage...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got the nicest form letter from AAA today written with an electronic computer (you can tell cause you can see smudges of other written letters on it) saying they hope I didn't feel pressured to buy a battery from their guy. Obviously, so many calls like this are coming in that they have a form letter to CYA.

AAA has been there for me many times and I'm not giving up on them, but next time when the guy walks up and my batteries dead I'm saying: This battery is in warranty, and I will take it back to where I got it before I do anything else. Hopefully, that does it and no sales pitch for a half hour for something I don't need at all.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I got the nicest form letter from AAA today written with an electronic computer . . .
I am so glad to hear they are using an electronic computer. TAB machines are so "last century".

Just kidding with you, Orchid.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:07 PM   #24

Yeah.....I screwed that sentence up and should show how "with it" I am when it comes to technology.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:41 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Yeah.....I screwed that sentence up and should show how "with it" I am when it comes to technology.
AAA is going to read this thread and next time you call them, Orchid, they might try to sell you a computer too
Old 03-31-2011, 04:14 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
AAA is going to read this thread and next time you call them, Orchid, they might try to sell you a computer too
Or a laptop...with a spare battery.