Join Early Retirement Today

Ethanol free gas for lawn equip?
Old 06-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ethanol free gas for lawn equip?

Just started cutting my own grass again and bought a nice Honda mower. All the gas pumps within +75 miles of Houston are E10. The manual says E10 is ok but will it work better/longer if I use pure gas? The only option I can find is Trufuel at Lowes which is $20/gallon. I figure 1 gal gets me about 8 cuts. Worth it? I'll also get a 2 stroke trimmer in the near future.

Ps. Thanks to the corn lobby for this annoyance.
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2014, 06:46 PM   #2

I am told by my power equipment dealer that both Exon and Shell Premium gas locally is ethanol free so that's what I go with. I guess Toronto is a bit far for you though. Hard to believe that you can't get gas with no ethanol in Houston!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:53 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
I am told by my power equipment dealer that both Exon and Shell Premium gas locally is ethanol free so that's what I go with. I guess Toronto is a bit far for you though. Hard to believe that you can't get gas with no ethanol in Houston!

It is not the gas companies that are causing this.... but federal rules... nothing you can do about it but put in Stabil...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:58 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

If it says you can run it your good. Doubt the 2 stoke trimmer will care either. Can't see spending that kind of money for non-etenol. Yes I always run with stabil for equipment.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #5

We have stations near to local lakes that offer ethanol free gas for boaters. There is a bit of a premium but worth it to avoid the associated problems.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:06 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

There are some places you can still find real gasoline. Try this web site:
Buy Real Gas.com. It is best to call to confirm that real gas is available at any listed station before making a long drive.
Real gasoline is still available at many marinas (because ethanol has ruined so many fuel systems on boats). I'd try to get real gasoline if you can rather than use fuel with any ethanol in it. Even if your mower can tolerate the ethanol, real gasoline will stay "fresh" much longer, and it won't attract water which can rust out your fuel tank and cause other problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
Ps. Thanks to the corn lobby for this annoyance.
Yes, and a big raspberry to the people they bought. The program has been an environmental and practical outrage.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:28 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Yes, and a big raspberry to the people they bought. The program has been an environmental and practical outrage.
Because leaded gas and MTBE was a much superior alternative.
ER Fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:44 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

Try local marinas or small airports (planes equipped to run on mogas need ethanol free gas as I understand it)
Old 06-22-2014, 08:02 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easypick View Post
Try local marinas or small airports (planes equipped to run on mogas need ethanol free gas as I understand it)
Don't run mogas from the airport...it's leaded fuel and will most likely cause more damage than the ethanol.

Sent From My Motorola Startac. Please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:11 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Fireball View Post
Because leaded gas and MTBE was a much superior alternative.
Strawman/false dilemma argument.
Tetraethyl Lead: Unrelated to this issue. Unleaded gasoline was in mandatory and widespread successful use long before either ethanol or MTBE was added to US fuels. Octane levels were fine.
MTBE: Used primarily as an oxygenate (required by another set of environmental laws). There are plenty of less noxious alternatives (including ETBE).
Old 06-22-2014, 08:17 PM   #11

The nearest real gas is a 2 hour round trip. So it's either E10 plus a stabilizer, or the expensive pure gas.
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:22 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

+1 about checking marinas for non-ethanol gas.

Our local boat dealer was recommending using Tron as an additive when non-ethanol was not so available but I heard this weekend that Tron was causing more problems than it was solving so they have moved to another additive that is not available through normal retail outlets but the person I talked with didn't remember the name of it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:43 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyEng View Post
Don't run mogas from the airport...it's leaded fuel and will most likely cause more damage than the ethanol.

Hmmmm...TEL was banned for use as an octane enhancement additive years ago. Do you know something I don't?
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:47 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyEng View Post

MOGAS from the airport has no lead. It will be used by pilots flying airplanes with Rotax engines and some others that do not need/want lead.

The more common piston-engine fuel at the airport is AVGAS or "100LL". It has lead and should probably be avoided in a lawn mower.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
MOGAS from the airport has no lead. It will be used by pilots flying airplanes with Rotax engines and some others that do not need/want lead.

The more common piston-engine fuel at the airport is AVGAS or "100LL". It has lead and should probably be avoided in a lawn mower.
100LL is 100 octane and low lead. It will work in the mower and the 2 stroke trimmer. The hassle is *getting* the 100LL. Most airports do not have an easy way to sell you a few gallons, nor do they want to. Since there is no road tax on it, they have different taxes. Also some funny rules on dispensing into containers. It is just more hassles for them that they typically do not want to deal with small purchases. They want to sell a big fill right into an airplane.

I agree the marina option may be better. The reason the whole pre-packaged true gas quart cans are being sold is because the E10 does not work so good in the small 2-stroke powered stuff. The ultra small passages get corrosion from the alcohol. The 100% gas does not cause the problems. Also some of the quart cans are already pre-mixed with the oil for the 2 stroke engines. Your mower does not need the pre-mix oil in the gas. The mower should do fine with E10, just be careful to run it dry at end of the season so the E10 does not stay in the carb and fuel system over several months. That can cause problems.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:52 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Star Tron at wally world is in sporting goods marine section. Stabil Marine version is another choice. Google and you will find comments on these products.
Attwood 8oz Startron Gas Additive - Walmart.com

For a while I was tracking oil analysis on the turbo and spent time at Bobistheoilguy.com The fellow that formulated Lube Control and FP lived a town or so over so I would stop by his house every now and then to load up. Still have a gallon of Fuel Power, my riding mower has not had any problems with ethanol. n=1
Now that I live a bit over 2000 miles away when the FP is gone I will most likely try the Star Tron.

Ethanol has an affinity for water so fill up after mowing - keep the tank full to stop condensation and moisture build up.
springnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:59 PM   #17

I haven't had any issues with the 10% contaminated alcohol fuel but I run Stabil all the time. This is with both new and old stuff - the chain saw is ~34 years old. Runs fine.

That said, when I'm done with the tool for the season I run them dry and if it has a carburetor bowl I drain that too to get the last bit out.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:23 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Echo has recommendations for using E10 in their 2 stroke engines. In addition to using fuel that's less than 30 days old (fuel stabilizer can extend to 90), make sure you keep gas containers tightly sealed (so additional moisture isn't absorbed), and shake the container before using it. Probably not bad advice.
tfudtuckerpucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:14 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I use Marvel Mystery Oil as a stabilizer. It helps keep the fuel line and some internal engine parts clean. I think they recommend a ratio of 4oz. to 1 gal of gas.
keegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:20 PM   #20
Gone but not forgotten

Does anyone have personal knowledge of anyone with an engine of any kind that has been ruined by a gasoline containing ethanol...?

My 1998 Lincoln and 96 Cadillac require Premium, but neither have ever never tasted it. @ 120K miles, no service of any plugs, transmission, or any part of the power train... Still get 21 to 29 mpg on Regular w/ ethanol.

All mowers, blowers, saws, trimmers, boat motors, generators etc, work well, despite not using additives or special treatment. Gas from Last summer worked perfectly well ... one pull on mower... after the worst winter... (stored outside) in history. I don't even empty the tanks. The only care any of these products ever receive is a power wash at the end of the season. Some of these engines are 60+ years old.

God will get me for bragging about this, but all these things work perfectly.
Worst thing that happened this year was that the primer bulb on my gas trimmer cracked due to old age... 21 years old.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote