Join Early Retirement Today

Euro 2012 anyone?
Old 06-24-2012, 07:56 AM   #1
Administrator

Euro 2012 anyone?

So, is anyone following Euro 2012? They are in quarterfinals, last night's match between Spain and France was entertaining, Spain winning 2-0. Germany and Portugal already advanced, and this afternoon England plays Italy @ 1:30 midwest time.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Been following it as best I can (catching about half the games). It's interesting how Ronaldo has broken out, I wonder if anybody will stop a Germany-Spain final from happening, and I'm even more excited about the Seattle-Portland game happening after today's matchup. It might be MLS, but it's a great rivalry.

Status: Saving. Started in Oct 2011, I am ~9 months ahead of where I expected to be and about ~3 months ahead of my desired schedule.
studbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Spain vs Germany in the final, Spain winning.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:31 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I will put my bet on Germany winning.
ratto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:58 AM   #5
gone traveling

And I thought this post was about currency
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:54 AM   #6

I was waiting for a thread on this! I'm going with Germany.

I will say it's much more fun to follow it when you are actually in Europe - we were living in the Frankfurt area in 1996 when Germany won. Absolutely no work got done in the office during many days of the tournament - if people weren't traveling to see a game or listening to the daytime games on the radio, they were talking about them. Our family caught the "football" bug during that tournament and we still watch a lot of international soccer on TV. DS (who was only 4 during Euro96) follows the European clubs, especially the English Premier league, quite closely.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Germany.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'll be bold and pick Portugal and Germany in the final
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have only watched one game....

But my son says Spain and Germany with Spain...

I think guessing Germany in the finals is the easiest pick... heck, all during the England/Italy game they seemed to be saying whoever wins gets to be kicked out by Germany....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #10

You can get live streaming of the games at

Watch Live Sports Events and ESPN Programs Online and on Mobile Applications - WatchESPN
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:10 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I live in Germany and it's a fun time right now. The surge in national pride is everywhere (think New York when the Giants are bound for the Superbowl) with German flags on cars, German national colors are all over the place. If they win it will be like a 4th of July celebration in every city. I have a pair of "ears" slipped over my car side mirrors that sport the German colors. We're pulling for Germany, our adopted host country while we live here.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

And Italy beats Germany to play Spain in the finals!

EURO 2012 LIVE: Germany 1 Italy 2 in semifinal - The Washington Post
Old 06-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post

Sure am glad I didn't bet any money. Totally unexpected. Should be a good game Sunday.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post

Is this more surprising than the decision on Obamacare

From the way they talked when I watched them earlier... yes...

I now bet that Spain wins it all....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #15

Italy were amazing today. It was a great match for an almost-neutral to watch (Brits like me will always support, even if only slightly, whoever is playing against Germany). Spain can't afford to rest on their laurels for Sunday.
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:15 PM   #16

It looks like it's going to be a great final game. I will watch if time permits.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:51 AM   #17

Now that England are out, after giving a typically mediocre performance, I'm hoping Italy win - mostly because Mario Balotelli is insane, amazing, ridiculous and just fun to watch.

Everyone in Europe (outside of Germany) are glad that Italy won the semi-final....and Euro 2012 has been pretty good......but I'm really looking forward to the start of the new English Premiership season to see is Man City (Balotelli et al) can keep things going agaist the likes of Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:51 AM   #18

Watched the German/Italian game yesterday while sipping adult beverages. I am no Italian fan but they played well and the Germans deserved to lose. Much lazier playing than they generally manage and the Italian attacks were fast and decisive.
I still pick Spain to win it all. Largely the same team that won the World Cup and the Spanish coach is one of the coolest characters you'll ever see.
For any old Brits who might be reading this, he reminds me of Gordon Kaye from 'Allo 'Allo
Koogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
For any old Brits who might be reading this, he reminds me of Gordon Kaye from 'Allo 'Allo
Ahh "the fallen Madonna with the big boobies"

The French were all sex mad, the Germans were either gay or sado masochists, and the British were asexual and stupid..........good family entertainment.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Ahh "the fallen Madonna with the big boobies"

The French were all sex mad, the Germans were either gay or sado masochists, and the British were asexual and stupid..........good family entertainment.
see.. stereotypes all contain a grain of truth... ) KIDDING ! KIDDING !

seriously, he and Vicente del Bosque are practically twins. And del Bosque, if he can win the Euro Cup, will earn a place as one of the best coaches of all time.. WC, EC and Champions League. And he did a pretty good job with that little soccer club in Madrid too...
Koogie is offline   Reply With Quote