Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Euthanasia scene in "Million Dollar Baby"
Old 02-15-2005, 03:51 PM   #41

Quote:
Clint is successful enough pick his scripts, keep his hand on the throttle by directing his own movies and generally enjoying his old age.

In the old Rawhide TV series - just a young actor like Charles Bronson.

Come to think - I was a 'mite' younger then myself.
That would be Rowdy Yates!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2005, 05:01 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'll bet there are a lot of anti-euthanasia folks in Chicago that would like to see that guy that grabbed for the fly ball and Kevorkian in the same room together

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 03:22 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I'll bet there are a lot of anti-euthanasia folks in Chicago that would like to see that guy that grabbed for the fly ball and Kevorkian in the same room together

I think we should all kick in towards a Kevorkian Gift Certificate for that dope!

BUM
Old 02-16-2005, 07:36 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Have you seen that mastercard advert emailed around about him?

Two tickets to Cubs playoff game: $160

Cubs Jacket and Cap: $120

Ruining your teams chances for another 100 years:

PRICELESS
Old 02-19-2005, 08:02 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Just to clarify my much earlier post on this subject where I said that I didn't need to see the movie after reading the Subject line.

It wasn't the topic that upset me, it was just that it kind of gave away the end of the movie. When I read the post, I guess I had still been in a cave somewhere and just knew the general plot line.

Eventually, I read another article that at least told me not to read any further if I didn't want to know critical plot details.

I probably will go see the movie to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:12 AM   #46

Gee Cut-Throat, do you think maybe the screenwriter wrote the script so as to make Clint's actions the "right" ones? Maybe real life is more shades of grey? Your viscous personal attacks on Chuck-Lyn don't warrant a response from him. The others in this thread have been civil to each other, read and learn.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:13 PM   #47

Whoops! - I re-read the posts and apologize, Cut-Throat!
I now see what you were trying to say. Please disregard the above post.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:35 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Gee Cut-Throat, do you think maybe the screenwriter wrote the script so as to make Clint's actions the "right" ones? Maybe real life is more shades of grey? Your viscous personal attacks on Chuck-Lyn don't warrant a response from him. The others in this thread have been civil to each other, read and learn.
I kind of like the idea of a "viscous" attack.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:07 PM   #49

Quote:
I kind of like the idea of a "viscous" attack. *
Brrrr. Now I've got this horrible image of Chuck-Lyn and CutThroat immersed and wrestling in some viscous liquid such as used motor oil. I'm going to have to go and have a beer to try and make this go away.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:05 AM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You got that stuck in your subconcious from my offer to the troll and intercast to spend a weekend in a motel 6 with a couple of cans of motor oil and a few lbs of beef jerky...sorry dude.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 06:01 PM   #51

Well, since I was off this afternoon , I finally got around to seeing this movie. I thought it was excellent, well-acted and especially well-written. After C-T made such a fuss about the euthanasia scene, I was prepared to duck it, but it was not bad at all. Given the circumstances, I would have done the same. The writing was good, because she could not do it herself, creating the dramatic tension that most movie directors want. Of course, since Terry Schiavo, the governor would probably have arrested Clint. Go ahead, Make my Day, inject her big boy and we'll soon inject you! I'm amazed at how good a director Clint Eastwood really is! Now, that's someone who should not retire. So, I would give the movie 450 voter ballot hanging chads, 500 being the most you can get.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:17 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Well, since I was off this afternoon* , I finally got around to seeing this movie.* I thought it was excellent, well-acted and especially well-written. After C-T made such a fuss about the euthanasia scene, I was prepared to duck it, but it was not bad at all.* Given the circumstances, I would have done the same.* The writing was good, because she could not do it herself, creating the dramatic tension that most movie directors want.* Of course, since Terry Schiavo, the governor would probably have arrested Clint.* Go ahead, Make my Day, inject her big boy and we'll soon inject you! I'm amazed at how good a director Clint Eastwood really is!* Now, that's someone who should not retire.* So, I would give the movie 450 voter ballot hanging chads, 500 being the most you can get.
Here is my take on Clint. As an actor he made some real stinkers. But, when
he had total control...well, I can't think of a really bad movie under those
conditions. Plus, he is a renaissance man (composing, etc.) A real
talent although his hormones got a bit out of control at times. I have
empathy.

JG
Old 08-09-2005, 07:48 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Well, since I was off this afternoon* , I finally got around to seeing this movie.* I thought it was excellent, well-acted and especially well-written. After C-T made such a fuss about the euthanasia scene, I was prepared to duck it, but it was not bad at all.* Given the circumstances, I would have done the same.* The writing was good, because she could not do it herself, creating the dramatic tension that most movie directors want.* Of course, since Terry Schiavo, the governor would probably have arrested Clint.* Go ahead, Make my Day, inject her big boy and we'll soon inject you! I'm amazed at how good a director Clint Eastwood really is!* Now, that's someone who should not retire.* So, I would give the movie 450 voter ballot hanging chads, 500 being the most you can get.

Now, if you want to see a movie that is much better than this one, go see "Cinderella Man" - based on a true story and better in every way than Mil $ Baby. - Gives a great view of the depression.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:36 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

I finally got around to seeing this movie just this past weekend. I'll risk wrath here to say I thought it stunk. Oh, Clint, his sidekick and Ms. Multiple Oscar did a fine job, as always, but the story was just too "beat you down" for me. The white trash family was just a little too cliche, and the final fight blew even my best attempt at supsension of disbelief. No one gets away with dirty tricks like that in this day and age.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:11 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I would have done the same thing if I were in either characters position.
So, you're saying that if you were paralyzed from the neck down but still had 100% brain function, you'd want somebody to take you out? Not me. It doesn't sound much different than the state I'm in when surfing the net (or working at a desk job). It would definately put a damper on my outdoor activities, but I think I could adapt.
Old 08-10-2005, 01:32 AM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Plus, he is a renaissance man (composing, etc.) A real
talent although his hormones got a bit out of control at times. I have
empathy. JG
Eight kids with five different women, some of whom he was married to and some while he was married to others. A real paragon of virtue.

Luckily I choose his films for the caliber of their ammunition, not their direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabmester
So, you're saying that if you were paralyzed from the neck down but still had 100% brain function, you'd want somebody to take you out?* * Not me.* *It doesn't sound much different than the state I'm in when surfing the net (or working at a desk job).* *It would definately put a damper on my outdoor activities, but I think I could adapt.
Christopher Reeves. Stephen Hawking. And millions of others paralyzed, missing limbs, or dealing with ALS. If my only choice was to die then I'd want to be free to make that choice for as many days as possible.

Wab, could you come explain your philosophy to my spouse? Suddenly she's kinda vague on exactly who she purchased the 9mm healthcare policy for...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:35 AM   #57

Quote:
So, you're saying that if you were paralyzed from the neck down but still had 100% brain function, you'd want somebody to take you out?* * Not me.* *It doesn't sound much different than the state I'm in when surfing the net (or working at a desk job).* *It would definately put a damper on my outdoor activities, but I think I could adapt.
As valuable as my brain is , I would want out. I've been here 60
years and had a lot of fun and adventures. Way too active to sit and
pontificate and I wouldn't want to be dependent. Nope, the
Hemingway exit has great appeal under certain conditions.

JG
Old 08-10-2005, 07:51 AM   #58

Quote:
Absolutely! - I'm not a good patient.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:56 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U

Way too active to sit and
pontificate

JG
?? A glance at your number of posts, this seems to be your strong suit.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:10 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Re the Cinderella Man tip, Netflix says it doesn't release on dvd until Dec.* I thought Million Dollar Baby was a pretty good flick; especially liked Morgan Freeman decking the gym bully.* I thought the white trash depiction was a little cliched but nevertheless spot-on.* Despite the dysfunctionality of her family, the young lady had an idealized hope that she could work some magic and make her family nicer.* Just set her up for the rending reality check.* As to euthanaia, I don't think a cultural concensus will happen.* The polarization is permanent and political meddling too thick.* At one end of the spectrum is someone like Christopher Reeve.* Should he have the right to refuse treatment (did he)* I think so.* Another vector is the Schiavo fiasco.* No surprise that the autopsy showed that her brain tissue had shrunk to the point where her brain ventricles (the space) were gigantic.* Suspicions re her husbands intentions aside,* I thought it was sickening that the politicians were jumping all over this while we slide further into the Middle East mire and ....all the rest that deserves the attention of our "leaders."*