Join Early Retirement Today

Events that shaped our lives
Old 01-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Events that shaped our lives

I just re-read this post, and it brought back such a memory that I thought others may have had some psyche shattering event that hovers in the background of the mind. Perhaps you'd like to share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
In the different and dumb category: Felt something weird and looked down to see a spare pair of underwear creeping out of the bottom of the leg of my jeans. This actually happened to me twice, once at the airport, once at a store. Couldn't stop laughing.

Wore mismatched shoes (same brand, but slightly different styles and colors) to the office. Twice. Also did the same with gymshoes to the gym but only once.
Not the underwear, but the shoes... One of the worst events of my life...

I was working in Chicago, commuting from the Suburbs (Lisle) by train. It was a major event... making a half hour presentation to about 200 people, including the officers of my own company, Mobil, and some other client companies. A nerve wracking experience to the point of not sleeping the night before. Up for the early train at 5:30AM...for presentation at 8:30 AM... DW drove me to the train, and on my way. Half way to Chicago... Western Springs... I looked down to see... Left shoe brown plain dress shoe, Right shoe Black wing tip.

And I knew that it was an open podium. FYI, there are no shoe stores open in Chicago at 7AM. I scrambled to the train door and dove out, running to the phone. Called DW who had gone back to bed. "Bring my left black wingtip shoe to the Western springs Station".... reply... "You've got to be kidding!"

Aaargh... sometime around 7:15, the black left wingtip arrived... Next train 7:35... Arrived Chicago 8AM... 15 minute taxi ride... elevator to meeting room, and 5 minutes to spare.

This happened in 1981, and I still have nightmares.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

LOL. I went up to New York for my son's wedding and discovered I had two different black shoes. I attended the rehearsal dinner with the mismatched pair -- no one noticed. My daughter brought my missing shoe up the next morning so I was properly attired to the wedding and reception.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
LOL. I went up to New York for my son's wedding and discovered I had two different black shoes. I attended the rehearsal dinner with the mismatched pair -- no one noticed. My daughter brought my missing shoe up the next morning so I was properly attired to the wedding and reception.
I went to Manchester, England for my own wedding and discovered that I had lost the wedding ring. Having the wrong shoes would have been preferable. After a couple of hours of soap and water and axle grease we managed to remove her mother's wedding ring and she was married in that.

A year earlier while staying at my parents' house my Dad accidentally threw her engagement ring into the coal fire one morning (she had left it on the mantelpiece on some tissue paper and at 5am getting ready for work Dad had grabbed up the tissue and thrown it on the fire before putting on fresh coals to heat up the water.)
Old 01-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I volunteer my services one day weekly at an agency, and have clients sit in front of me during the day, face-to-face. I arrived one day and noticed I had one brown and one black shoe (otherwise the same) and there was no way of correcting it for the day. No one noticed - just self-conscious me. Towards the end of the day, I was 'flaunting' it to see if anyone could tell. Nope !
Old 01-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

And HERE **I** thought this thread would be about things like the JFK assination. Sigh.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWeinel View Post
And HERE **I** thought this thread would be about things like the JFK assination. Sigh.
Losing that wedding ring was more dangerous than the time I walked on the moon
Old 01-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I talked about fight club.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

So you ARE Mr. Bean
Old 01-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWeinel View Post
So you ARE Mr. Bean
..and I have an entry in Wikipedia

Mr. Bean - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 01-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I also used to accidentally wear mismatched earrings (like a giant hoop in one, a little sparkling thinging in the other--I'd get one put in without a mirror, then have to deal with the kids or something, come back and stick another earring in the other ear) and once while interviewing someone for a fluff newspaper story I couldn't figure out why they kept looking so quizzically at me. Until I got home and looked in the mirror at the really odd pair of earrings that my very short hair cut did nothing to hide.

I also went to work with dog vomit on my sweater once. And also have worn sweaters inside out/backward.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I went to Manchester, England for my own wedding and discovered that I had lost the wedding ring. Having the wrong shoes would have been preferable. After a couple of hours of soap and water and axle grease we managed to remove her mother's wedding ring and she was married in that.

A year earlier while staying at my parents' house my Dad accidentally threw her engagement ring into the coal fire one morning (she had left it on the mantelpiece on some tissue paper and at 5am getting ready for work Dad had grabbed up the tissue and thrown it on the fire before putting on fresh coals to heat up the water.)
So Alan, I guess you are jewelry challenged!
What did DW have you do to make up?
Old 01-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I also used to accidentally wear mismatched earrings (like a giant hoop in one, a little sparkling thinging in the other--I'd get one put in without a mirror, then have to deal with the kids or something, come back and stick another earring in the other ear) and once while interviewing someone for a fluff newspaper story I couldn't figure out why they kept looking so quizzically at me. Until I got home and looked in the mirror at the really odd pair of earrings that my very short hair cut did nothing to hide.

I also went to work with dog vomit on my sweater once. And also have worn sweaters inside out/backward.
BW - my former B*ss frequently wore dissimilar earrings as a fashion statement. Whatever. She ALSO did the old "dress tucked into the pantyhose" trick THRU AN AIRPORT one time.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
So Alan, I guess you are jewelry challenged!
What did DW have you do to make up?
Be nice to her mother
Old 01-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Losing that wedding ring was more dangerous than the time I walked on the moon
much worse than shoes...

One more... Same company as in original post, different circumstances...

I was just a little guy... Special projects manager for my company and was sitting in on an executive board meeting. I was there only in case of questions.

This board meeting is on the 22nd floor... An elegant 360 degree glassed in room... maple oval boardroom table for 14 people.... white carpeting, silver water pitchers leather chairs etc, etc. Two Board Chairmen, Two CEO's, two CFO's, six VP's, and me. Two of the largest corporations in the US.

This was NOT a pleasant meeting. Very strained, very loud, then very soft, then dead silence... a standoff, with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake, and nothing going forward.

Then... at the height of the tension, Beep,Beep, Beep, Beep. My brand new Performance Award Citizens quartz electronic watch... very new and rare at the time...
... goes off... in a room where not a molecule was moving. I can't shut it off!

The CEO of Mobil looks over at me, and in a kindly, gentle tone says:
"Are we keeping you from an appointment, Bob?"

This breaks the tension, with roars of laughter, as I shrink down in my chair
wondering where I can go for another job.
.................................................. ....
After the meeting, my boss came over and actually hugged me. The situation broke the ice, and the meeting turned into a success.

There IS a God!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #15

Probably too many to tell - especially in the inappropriate attire category.

1. Went to high school one day and started to take off my winter coat. I realized I had no shirt underneath. Dear dad had insisted I go take out the garbage cans before I finished morning ablutions - simply forgot the shirt upon return. Wore the coat all day and only got a few questions. Fortunately, everyone bought that I was just chilled from walking back to my car for books (or whatever other lame excuse I came up with). Much better than my best buddy who had to give a speech one day. The teacher wanted to know why he was holding his note book in front of himself. Buddy blushed, but ignored the questions. Finally, the exasperated teacher insisted that he put the note book on his desk. At that point, EVERYONE knew why he had been holding the note book in front of himself. I don't miss the teen years all that much.

2. Went to a Megacorp luncheon and wandered around for 15 or 20 minutes when a coworker asked why the heck I had both pant legs rolled up several inches. It was then I recalled spray polishing my shoes just prior to getting into the car for the ride to the meeting.

One that happened to a female coworker. Megacorp ca. 1976 was about as male dominated, ultra-conservative as you could possibly imagine. Said coworker and I had driven to the Corp. Center (HQ) from our relatively more laid-back plant site (I used to wear clip-on ties!). Riding up to a meeting, we used an elevator which was capable of reaching the suite of offices reserved for the upper-upper management (CEO, VPs, etc.) As luck would have it, a Sr. VP was in the back of the elevator as we entered. After about 4 or 5 floors, he commented loudly about my coworker's "inappropriate" attire. She had worn white stockings instead of flesh colored. Don't miss those days either.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

OK. Here's a real life work experience I went through. I was a financial institution examiner in a past life. At the time of this story I had an examiner in training working with me. We completed a job and determined the financial institution we had just examined was in serious trouble and would most likely need to be merged, liquidated or go into conservatorship.

I did a lot of work from my home office at that time and the examiner I was training was working with me at my home. I called the financial institution's CEO after arranging a conference call with their entire board of directors. I put the call on speaker phone so my trainee could hear and learn.

We had a very serious discussion and the entire board agreed it was best to pursue a merger since their financial institution was basically insolvent at that time. It was a very tense conversation.

At this moment, my pet cat entered my home office and started to dig and paw at some files I had stacked up related to the case we were working on. I thought the call had ended but was so very wrong.

The phone was still on with the entire board of the financial institution listening as I said "Bad Cat! Stop that right now!!". They all heard it. After a short pause, the financial institution's CEO said "What? Are you still there?"

I quickly realized what happened and apologized and explained. We all had a good laugh. I still shut them down though.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:11 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

When I was a toddler, I fell down the stairs. Ever since, I ave been afraid of falling from a height.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #18

Ranger School 1970, Viet Nam 70-71.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Sunday, Sept 1, 1968 - the day our honeymoon started.
Wednesday, Sept 4, 1968 - the day my new bride had an emergency appendectomy.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #20

the cognitive dissonance of the title plus assorted replies makes this a surreal thread